MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-16-08
Location: Virginia
Default Are Brisket Prices Up For You?

Cold weather winter here and I don't do much from Christmas until late March. I went on to US Foods to get an order together for next week and brisket is up to $4.09 lb which was like $3.09 last fall. I've seen it get as high as $3.79 lb here but was shocked. Especially since I need 225 lbs for an event in 3 weeks. Anyone else seeing this kind of spike? We tracked whole packers and edible portions from cryovac untrimmed raw weight are about 7.2 oz edible meat per lb of cryovac raw weight. So as an example $4.09 lb will yield 7.2 oz of sellable meat and have a cost of $0.568 per oz or $9.09 per lb. I can dang near start selling ribeyes for the price of brisket as my cost for the same brand of whole ribeye loin is $9.27lb. Sure there is a little loss there in cooking but not like brisket.
__________________
FEC 120, Lang 84, Custom Off Set
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Jabba1221
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 01-27-17
Location: Tampa, Fl
Default

Stupid question but why are you going through US foods and not Restaurant Depot? Right now down here they're at 2.89 for CAB Brisket
Jabba1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 02-14-14
Location: Central OH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba1221 View Post
Stupid question but why are you going through US foods and not Restaurant Depot? Right now down here they're at 2.89 for CAB Brisket
Was here too until last week. Now $3.29 case price.
__________________
Weber 22.5" x 3
UDS with IQ 110
Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer
Molon Labe!
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Bbq Bubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-07
Location: New Baltimore, Mi.
Default

That's 45% yield. It may seem minor but im at 50% and that 5% is everything selling brisket.
I'm in the great white north (Detroit) and at the most brisket was $3.09/lb.
At those prices and yields, you'd be better off selling pulled chicken! ;)
__________________
Owner and Chief Taco Builder @ The Wooden Valve
Beer Snob
I cook the #bestbrisketnorthoftexas. Get over it.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-16-08
Location: Virginia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba1221 View Post
Stupid question but why are you going through US foods and not Restaurant Depot? Right now down here they're at 2.89 for CAB Brisket
Nearest one is 2 hours and 20 minutes away from me,
__________________
FEC 120, Lang 84, Custom Off Set
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

 
medic92's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-16
Location: Mount Sterling, IL
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

It's up to $3.33/lb. from $3.02/lb. for mine through Sysco. Restaurant Depot is 90 miles away for me and I still hate them from when I used to deliver to them.
__________________
Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster (Internal Firebox)
PCC Charcoal Kettle
22 inch Weber Kettle
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
Jabba1221
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 01-27-17
Location: Tampa, Fl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Nearest one is 2 hours and 20 minutes away from me,
Ok fair enough
Jabba1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #8
minAL
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 08-26-15
Location: alabama
Default

$3.19 here, as of yesterday. Us foods is the highest in my area.
minAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-16-08
Location: Virginia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minAL View Post
Us foods is the highest in my area.
In my area we don't have the option that many people have. I either buy at Walmart, Food Lion, etc. or I take up 3-4 hours for a trip to Sams Club which is about an hour away to shop or I buy from US Foods or Sysco. Sysco does not want to deal small accounts around here. If my order isn't 20 cases they won't take it. I can order $400-$1200 orders from US Food and they are happy for my business. I do pay more for some items vs going to Sams Club but time is money and US Foods delivers to my door. Back on the briskets Walmart which is typically never more than $2.90lb is even charging $369 right now. They only stock a couple and many time don't have them and won't order them for me either.
__________________
FEC 120, Lang 84, Custom Off Set
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

 
medic92's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-16
Location: Mount Sterling, IL
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
In my area we don't have the option that many people have. I either buy at Walmart, Food Lion, etc. or I take up 3-4 hours for a trip to Sams Club which is about an hour away to shop or I buy from US Foods or Sysco. Sysco does not want to deal small accounts around here. If my order isn't 20 cases they won't take it. I can order $400-$1200 orders from US Food and they are happy for my business. I do pay more for some items vs going to Sams Club but time is money and US Foods delivers to my door. Back on the briskets Walmart which is typically never more than $2.90lb is even charging $369 right now. They only stock a couple and many time don't have them and won't order them for me either.
Sysco has a 15 case minimum for delivery here but if I don't meet that they just tack on a $20 service charge which my Sysco sales rep promptly credits back to my account every time it happens. My Sysco orders generally range between $700-1200 a week and we've never had a problem.
__________________
Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster (Internal Firebox)
PCC Charcoal Kettle
22 inch Weber Kettle
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #11
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-16-08
Location: Virginia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
Sysco has a 15 case minimum for delivery here but if I don't meet that they just tack on a $20 service charge which my Sysco sales rep promptly credits back to my account every time it happens. My Sysco orders generally range between $700-1200 a week and we've never had a problem.
Wish they would here. I bought from Sysco years ago when I first went into business. They have great products and consistent pork butts but they are firm on 20 case orders here and it's not a matter of tacking $20 on its 20 cases or don't order.
__________________
FEC 120, Lang 84, Custom Off Set
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

 
medic92's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-16
Location: Mount Sterling, IL
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Wish they would here. I bought from Sysco years ago when I first went into business. They have great products and consistent pork butts but they are firm on 20 case orders here and it's not a matter of tacking $20 on its 20 cases or don't order.
I had an order once that was only 14 cases. I tacked on a $1 box of toothpicks and that did the trick. Order a case of pork butts and 19 boxes of toothpicks.
__________________
Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster (Internal Firebox)
PCC Charcoal Kettle
22 inch Weber Kettle
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #13
minAL
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 08-26-15
Location: alabama
Default

Wow. Here it is a five case minimum. And I have thought that was ridiculous. Y’all have rough up there.
minAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

 
medic92's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-16
Location: Mount Sterling, IL
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minAL View Post
Wow. Here it is a five case minimum. And I have thought that was ridiculous. Y’all have rough up there.
Well, most people in Alabama have a difficult time counting much higher so they have to keep the numbers low.

I was born in Montgomery...
__________________
Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster (Internal Firebox)
PCC Charcoal Kettle
22 inch Weber Kettle
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #15
foodfigther
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
 
Join Date: 03-17-18
Location: Ljubljana
Name/Nickname : foodfigther
Default

also 3.20 in my area
foodfigther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts