MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
Funkydrummer
Found some matches.

Default How do you talk a client out of a menu choice?

I have a gig coming up, feeding 500. The client came up with following menu:

Pork Ribs
Tri-tip
Chicken
Baked Beans
Coleslaw
Potato Salad
Grilled Veggies
Dirty Rice
Cornbread

I tried and failed to talk the client out of the ribs and tri-tip options. I suggested beef brisket and pulled pork. I even priced the 2 menus with a difference of $2k. No dice. They heard that my ribs are the bomb, and that’s what they want. The reason I suggested the changes was, logistically, I don’t want to cook ribs and tri-tip for 500. I now have to rent another smoker to make that happen. Of course I didn’t tell the client that. Anywho, how do you guys gently nudge a client away from certain pain in the rear menu items?
Funkydrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I get that it's a pain, but if you priced it correctly, to make it worth your time and hassle, I'd go ahead and just do it, and take the extra profits.

Outside of that, I don't know what to tell you. If you told him you'd do it for $X, I kinda feel like you need to follow through.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Easy answer... don't. Your kinda of screwed on this one because you have already priced it but in the future if you need to rent a smoker to do a job then include that in the cost of your price. Then give other options you can do cheaper. If you truly don't want to do a menu request then price it at a price you would want to do it. I've done that before. I once had a lady wanting me to go a long way to cater a whole hog and I didn't want to do it so I priced it through the roof expensive. She wanted it and paid me the high price I quoted her and believe me I didn't mind doing it for what I charged her LOL
Old 05-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
bryonlr
Full Fledged Farker

If you knew the menu from the start and agreed to the price, and you back out now, your reputation will probably take a serious hit
bryonlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
ronbrad62
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Easy answer... don't. Your kinda of screwed on this one because you have already priced it but in the future if you need to rent a smoker to do a job then include that in the cost of your price. Then give other options you can do cheaper. If you truly don't want to do a menu request then price it at a price you would want to do it. I've done that before. I once had a lady wanting me to go a long way to cater a whole hog and I didn't want to do it so I priced it through the roof expensive. She wanted it and paid me the high price I quoted her and believe me I didn't mind doing it for what I charged her LOL
I can't give a better answer than this. Good advice here. Just file this under lessons learned and reflect on this on future quotes.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

This is simply a good lesson in business. You know your logistical issues. Work that into your pricing before you actually give the price...but you know that now.

It's a shame to be in the business of cooking, and make a statement like, "I don’t want to cook ribs and tri-tip for 500."

Be happy you have the business...not to mention a highly profitable job for 500.