What do you guys cook in your cookers?

OldGlory

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Kind of a broad question and it shows how new I am to this. I am looking for alternatives to traditional BBQ. I love good Q' but the wife will grow tired of it 3x a week.

I have used my Egg for BBQ, as a grill, and as an outdoor oven basically roasting chicken and beef roasts with varying amounts of smoke. I plan to use the vertical smoker in a similar manner.

I am looking for ideas for what you experienced guys have done. What kind of cuts and what methods of cooking.

Low and slow or hot and fast.Generally the smoker will be another tool for my outdoor grilling efforts. I just want to maximize its use.

Thanks!

Pork tenderloin. So many ways to prepare. Simple seasoning and cook indirect on high heat till IT is 140. Then move over and sear it. I also butterfly them and stuff with a variety of things. I did a cuban themed one and also a reuben style one. Both were fantastic and i cooked the same way. You could do things similar with chicken breast but i find the pork way better.

Eye of round. Cooked indirect at like 250 till 115. Then sear on all sides. Run through slicer and make some french dips.

I bake biscuits in both my drum and akorn. Pizzas in the akorn also. I feel anything that can be baked in an over can be done in a properly controlled smoker. No I don't use wood chunks or chips while baking, just lump charcoal.Apple strudel is wonderful cooked in the akon. All these items were cooked in a smoker except the ice cream. Haven't figured that one out yet:-o

Attachments

• 20140619_193153.jpg
    20140619_193153.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 20160630_105330.jpg
    20160630_105330.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 20160630_121243.jpg
    20160630_121243.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 230
I suppose you can do anything on a smoker you can do on a grill or in an oven. I tend to use whatever tool that makes the most sense and sometimes a smoker ain't it.

I’ve stopped trying to do everything on a smoker. Different foods call for different tools.

The Blackstone has become one of our most used cookers. Philly Cheesesteak, smash burgers, bacon, shrimp, tacos, hashbrowns, and recently started using it to make kettle corn.

Weber kettle is used for wings, burgers, brats and for most steak.

The smoker is king for ribs, chicken, poppers, chuck, salmon, fattys and the big traditional low and slow brisket and butts.

Ya wouldn’t try to bang in a nail with a tape measure.

Or would ya??

Oh My Gosh, I think the better question would be what don't I cook in my Humphrey's! Let see, Some of my favorite things to cooks are
Meat, any kind of Meat
Desserts, brownies, cookies, cheesecake, and cup cakes are some of my favs
side dishes, beans and mac and cheese,
Wings
ABT's
Dingle Berries
Smoked Cheese and Nuts (great for Christmas gifts)
I love making curing bacon in my Battle Box.
Did I mention Pastrami.
Chili

Ok, now I am hungry. I am going to go and cook a turkey!

Pork tenderloin is one of my go to cooks. Quick, easy, and tastes great in many different flavor profiles. Another thing to consider is using your "traditional" que in different ways. My wife isn't a huge traditional brisket fan...but she loves the brisket nachos that I make. Pizza, flatbreads, anything you would cook in an oven. The options are endless.

One thing that surprised me was how good and different veggies taste coming out of the smoker. Corn on the cob is awesomely different. So is bacon wrapped asparagus.

Meatloaf is another awesome thing to do in a smoker. Don't even put it in a pan, just flop that sucker on a frogmat and let 'er rip. All the fat drains out and you don't get a soggy meatloaf.

Some of the best lasagna I've had was made by Sistren Padawan at a NorCal Bash in a smoker. Basically whatever you do in an oven you can do in a smoker. It may not always be the right thing for a particular dish, but most of the time it is!

Smoked almonds come to mind - here's a thread with a great recipe and a lot of nut jokes.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Both cookers can grill, as well as serve as ovens. When you look at it that way, most things are possible. I think I've cooked every type of meat I enjoy on my kettles, plus some that I cooked just for the challenge, like brisket. This fall, I cooked a lot of the tomatoes that went into sauce and chili with cherry smoke for flavor. We own a lot of cookbooks I use as reference for my outdoor cooks, none of them are grilling or smoking related. Joy of Cooking is one of the best.
The most important thing is to learn your cooker. When you can control the temperatures well, the rest is easy.

• Thanks
Pizza, Pork Loins and Eye of Round sliced for lunch meat, stuffed peppers, veggies.

smoked tuna,red snapper,cobia,pizza along with many beef,pork and poultry items....excluding hams :redface:

• Thanks
Stuffed bell peppers.

Smoked onions to be used in other dishes
Smoked salt
Smoked Hassleback Potatoes but they take forever and are best finished under a broiler or in a super hot grill to crisp them

Absolutely! If you havent smoked meatloaf, you will with you had been your whole life. I like roasting/smoking veggies. Sausage stuffed zucchini boats. Twice smoked potatoes. Sliced up marinated chicken strips wrapped in bacon, pizza, stuffed shrooms, cabbage, marinated or brined pork and turkey loins. And dont forget stuffed, smoked, bacon wrapped sausage aka: FATTIES. Fish too.

Last edited:
xp9f7m.jpg

Peach pie. From scratch. The filling and crust are from scratch. Baked in my 270 Smokers Sumo.

Back