MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Default 1/2 a beef question

I have a line on a half of a beef Black steer...should be "choice". estimated hanging weight for the half is 375 to 400 lbs. Price is 1.54/lb plus approx .43 lb processing fee. I've been told to expect 20 to 30 % waste. In doing the math, it seems like it comes out to around 2.75/lb plus or minus.

Seems like a good deal for locally grown/raised beef. The guy seems pretty conciencious about what he feeds his beef etc.

I keep thinking about how best to have it cut up? I'm thinking, brisket, tenderloin , steaks, naturally a lot of burger, but how much burger can I expect vs. roasts/steaks?

Any thoughts on processing or overall "deal" would be appreciated.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Just keep in mind if it is great then you have a few hundred pounds of Great meat. If it's no so good what do you have? I tried it a few times got a really good one the first the second was no so great. So I just buy what I need/want now.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
kcchiefdav
On the road to being a farker

It's been years since I was involved in purchasing a side of beef, but I recall about 35-40% hamburger, ~30% chuck and round, >~30% steaks. Those estimates are very very rough, but it's about what I remember.
kcchiefdav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

Years ago, my daddy was advised by a meat man to "watch ur sales" & load up when the prices were right. I've followed that advice and, frankly, I've never been disappointed. The truth is, you will be disappointed from time to time, but largely I've purchased when the price was right, loaded up and never looked back. Today, I bought whole chickens @ .77 cents a pound & a whole boneless strip @ $3.88 a #.

I don't know how you can beat that, but I'm a tight SOB when it comes to buying bef! Chickn! Pork!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

I raise my own beef, I would go with the 40% burger amd 30% steaks and 30%chuck/stew I have never been dissopointed but i go to the same slaughter house everytime and its the only 1 i can ever remember going to after we quit doing it ourselves you cant buy meat at a market and touch what comes out of my freezer jmho
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

^^^^^ What he said!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Country View Post
I raise my own beef, I would go with the 40% burger amd 30% steaks and 30%chuck/stew I have never been dissopointed but i go to the same slaughter house everytime and its the only 1 i can ever remember going to after we quit doing it ourselves you cant buy meat at a market and touch what comes out of my freezer jmho
Still waiting for an invite for a side. Side note but I actually know a couple people from Wellington. Shoot me a PM
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

I'd go for it Mike. Once you have had homegrown burger and steaks you're spoiled rotten. Store bought beef will taste like chit! The more roasts, shanks, short ribs, etc. you order, the less burger you're going to get. You're doing good by reserching what you can get. A good butcher will follow your cutting instuctions to the T. You must be very specific if you want certain cuts, otherwise you'll just get what ever is easier to cut and a lot of burger.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys. I talked to a friend this morning that was a butcher and he gave me some good advise on cuts etc. I'm headed over to the processor in a bit to talk to them. We probably eat more pork/chicken/fish around here than beef. I'm just thinking that locally raised and processed might be better then the stuff from large "CAFO's". (confined animal feeding operations) Now if I can just find me a good source for some heritage breed hogs!

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
I've been told to expect 20 to 30 % waste.
Over the years I have seen up to 40% waste depending on marbling and bone mass. Out of the 5 sides I have gotten over the years I had one that was less than stellar. You will get a chit load of burger.

It’s a tough choice when you open the freezer for dinner and thing will it be rib eye, T-bone, or porter house for dinner. Unless you specify that you want tenderloin pulled and cut it will end up cut with the T-bones and PH steaks.

Cheers
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
smokedinvt
Full Fledged Farker

We have raised our own beef and we have bought locally grown, grass fed beef as well. The portions that have been posted above are accurate. You have the right idea of going and talking with the butcher. He will look at the side while it is hanging and be able to tell you what cuts will work out best.
There is NO comparison between locally grown beef with that you get in the store.
The price you are quoted is right along with what we just paid for a side here in VT.
I would say go for it - you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedinvt View Post
We have raised our own beef and we have bought locally grown, grass fed beef as well. The portions that have been posted above are accurate. You have the right idea of going and talking with the butcher. He will look at the side while it is hanging and be able to tell you what cuts will work out best.
There is NO comparison between locally grown beef with that you get in the store.
The price you are quoted is right along with what we just paid for a side here in VT.
I would say go for it - you won't be disappointed.
^^^ what he said as I also purchase home grown beef & pork from a farmer friend.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

This is my take on it! Do your home work! Get to know the farmer ask all the right questions. Here are some of them:

The Farmer

Legally what they do is sell live weight. Its the law they can't sell you a dead animal. Then for us we take it to the processor and it is the responsibility of the buyer to tell the processor how they want it processed. Most all farmers only take cash! (Yeah that is the scary part) Just as much as you need to build a trust with them they need to build a trust with you.

Example: Our Steer would yield $1665.00. No credit cards and a farmer doesn't want to loose that amount on a bounced check. That why CASH speaks!

Are they grass fed?
How do you finish them (Usually 6months before slaughter is corn or corn mix)
Do you use growth hormones? (Touchy question to some farmers)
Who do you recommend for processing or Where do YOU take your cattle for processing? (Most farmers don't process and rather take it to a certified federal processor.)
How old is this Steer? You only want steer! No more than 18 months (NO DAIRY COWS)
Has the one your buying have all the legal shots?
Has the one your buying have any antibiotics? and Why? Not really a big deal but your buying the steer! You want to know all the health issues of it if there are any.
If they advertise be weary! Rather word of mouth because most farmers don't want to bother and they rather take them to a sale barn. Word of mouth also could be considered a recommendation as well. I only have two processors I use for beef and one for pork.

The processor

Tour the processing facility (If they do not allow that RUNNNNNNNNN!)
How clean is it!
What Days do they process pork and what days do the process beef! Leagally they have to go through a cleaning for the proccesing area before they can switch aminals and will only process one kind of animal per day.

Example Rule of thumb around our parts is Beef on Tuesdays and Pork on Thursday.
Payment again Cash is king but some will take Checks if they know you and CC not usually.
Beef should hang for at least two weeks before butchering. (if you get three weeks all the better (Rocky mod)

Oh if it is deer season the processor will be booked and wont take anything but deer.

Do they do VAC SUCK? Last a lot longer!

The meat will taste different but better!

Example our Steer hung two weeks (You then know kill date) Processed on Tuesday we had it on Sat. Now I could have picked it up Wed. but didn't have time.

By all means after you made your purchase give feedback to the farmer about his products and about your whole experience including the processor.

That it for now! Feel free to PM me and ask more questions. I will add more as I think about it. We have been doing this along time so my comfort zone is great with the processor ect.

Oh Also buy the whole cow and split with family/Friends. Farmers rather sell a whol one than a half or quater then they have to find somebody. It is also cheaper per lb to get it processed.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #14
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Do it. I found a guy that grows GREAT beef and a processor I like and I get incredible beef. Used to buy a half, next time I am buying two steers because everyone want some.

Note: you'll have to tell him to save the hanger, skirt, flank, and cheeks if he is anything like my guy. Country folks some times think hamburger is the ticket, but we know better.

Fred
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmont View Post
How old is this Steer? You only want steer! No more than 18 months (NO DAIRY COWS)
This is not my experience. I would take a retired milker any day. Just not one that has been "hot milked" (Only had one calf and milked straight into retirement). These will be less than ten, normally 5, years old.

Give me a 13 year old Bessie any day. The tenderness of the meat comes from putting on weight. They just have to be fed out right.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote