MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
btcg
Babbling Farker

Default JOS August Class- My Journal

DEPARTURE: T-MINUS (approx) 37 hours until departure.
ROUTE: Potomac, MD to Perry, GA
DESTINATION: Unadilla, GA via Perry, GA
SPECIFICS: Jack's Old South August Class

Journal Entry 1

(CUE Music... Carly Simon's "Anticipation")
So, after months of waiting, we're merely hours away from departure. As an FYI, a number of us brothers (or is that brethers?) organized, and will be attending Mr. Myron Mixon's August JOS Cooking School. In the tradition of other brothers that have bravely gone before us (yeah, that's you, Frenchman), I thought I'd keep y'all appraised as to our adventures. IF, you're interested, that is.

Here's the plan: 3 of us, myself, Shiz-Nit, and Saucy Butt's will be staying together in Perry, GA, and SB and I will be travelling together from Maryland. SB & I will be leaving Thursday morning, sometime around 7am. This will allow us to travel in a manner more that's more 'lesure' than hectic, and will get us to Perry, Georgia sometime in the late-afternoon/early evening range. We may stop and have lunch at Tuffy's Cool Smoke, or similiar. Gonna play it by ear.

Shiz lives about the same travel distance to Georgia as SB & I, but in another area of the country. He'll be hitting the road sometime during the afternoon and should arrive in Perry late Thursday. By the time he arrives, we'll already be checked in, and will have a room key and cold adult beverage ready and waiting for Shiz. The hard part (the travel) will be behind us, and Friday can be spent hangin out and having a good time, versus having to fight Friday traffic.

The Thursday ride should go pretty smooth for SB & I. Just bought a Hyandui Sante Fe SUV, so I'm pretty sure we'll make it there safely. Last thing you want to happen is to break down in Georgia, and get stuck trapsing off into the woods or something. With my luck, I'd run into somebody who looked like Gore, and the theme to "Deliverance" would start playing (sudden SHUDDER).

But on a loftier topic: Myron doesn't allow voice taping, and although I may entertain y'all with a few nightly allusions, I won't be providing a "play by play" of the class, if you take my meaning. Not fair to us, or Myron, to do so. BUT, no reason I can't let ya'll see some good photo's, and a few useful tips (Mr. Mixon, of course, willing).
So, we're mere hours from departure, and watch this space for updates, my fellow brothers!

Your brother,
Bill

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

OH, forgot: Shiz-Nit and Saucy Butt's, check your private messages.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking forward to hear how everything goes!!!
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Great class!...Myron and his crew are some of the coolest people you'll ever meet..we were there in Feb. and since then we have 2 reserve grands under our belt in 4 comps..tell him the Left Coast Q crew says to show you some of that southern love!
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a good time!! I eagerly await your report! And try to have some fun guys!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
NebraskaBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I'll see you guys there. Looking forward to everything but the flight/drive.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

I am so ready get this trip rolling we are going to have a dayum good time and learning experience I do believe.
I think we will represent the BBQ Brethern just fine. I got my Brethren shirt already packed along with the rest of my gear.
See ya all soon

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

You guys blow the horn when you go through Macon..
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
smokeydog
On the road to being a farker

Let us know if you think it is worth the money, I'm looking at the November class. It would be nice to know what I don't know. Keep us posted, and thanks, it is hot down here, enjoy.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
rddestin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, I will be arriving Friday afternoon.

Rick
-Chargriller
-Weber Kettle
rddestin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Chucktown
On the road to being a farker

Have a great time guys. Do you know how many people are in this class?
Chucktown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
NebraskaBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

The email trail between the attendees includes 40 email addresses I believe. I assume 40 is the total number of people, but its possible there are multiple people using the same email address if they registered together or something. I'm guess around the 40-50 mark though.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

One tip: you might want to refrain from the Deliverance jokes down here. We don't mind making them ourselves, but when we hear them from a Yankee some get a might touchy.

Welcome to Georgia! I'm sure y'all will have a great time here in the heart of BBQ country at Brother Myron's place.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Bill clear out some of your private messages as your box is full and I am trying to get back to you.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #15
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Ga View Post
You guys blow the horn when you go through Macon..
Hay bro I went by around 11:00 and honk

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->