Chicken and Pork on the WSM together?

CPMatthew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greetings Brethren and Sistren,

I am planning out my first smoke on my WSM tomorrow. I was planning to smoke some butts, some spare ribs and some wings for the throw-down. I remember reading in another thread that you should never put poultry over anything. So, would I be smarter to do the wings on a separate grill, or can I take the butts out (I was going to put them on top) and set the wings on the lower rack and them them finish together? My goal is to have everything done about the same time.

Thanks

If I was doing this I would do the wings on my Weber kettle that way your not messing with the temps on the butts............. or do the wings while the butts are resting..........

If I was doing this I would do the wings on my Weber kettle that way your not messing with the temps on the butts............. or do the wings while the butts are resting..........
Good advise, wings will be done inn no time. I would rest the butts and take the cylinder off the WSM and do the wings over the fire that's left. It's hard to get a lot of smoke flavor into wings so no loss there.

You can do them on the lower rack of the WSM, but like the posters above said, I prefer doing wings on the kettle. They get done quicker and the skin is crispy. You could also cook them in the WSM and throw them on the kettle for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

Back