A few questions for Cookshack PG500 owners

viodea

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm considering PG500 but I've heard the indirect cooking space is limited.

• Does it fit 3 rack of St Louis ribs comfortable?
  • Does it fit a 17 lb brisket packer?
  • What's your creative way of utilize different zones?
  • How easy is reverse searing on it?
  • Is 3 years limited warranty a concern?
  • Do you need to set to low temp to get more smoke before setting to a desired temperature?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Here is the space breakdown. Their multi zone setup, is what kept me from considering them. You might fit 3 small racks on there. You could do more with a rib rack though.

784 square inches: 10" x 18" direct cooking; 18"x18" indirect; 10"x28" top rack; warming drawer 19" x 13" x 4"

I'm considering PG500 but I've heard the indirect cooking space is limited.

• Does it fit 3 rack of St Louis ribs comfortable?
  • Does it fit a 17 lb brisket packer?
  • What's your creative way of utilize different zones?
  • How easy is reverse searing on it?
  • Is 3 years limited warranty a concern?

Thanks!
1) Possible but if you use zone 3 and 4 easily
2)17lb packers should be no problem
3) I like the 4 zones and would use them to my advantage
4) Couldn't imagine a reverse sear being any easier
5)No, Cookshack is a great American company that stands behind their products.

I've got a PG1000 (same cooking space) and KevinJ is right on target. They make a nice rib rack that holds 7 racks. Love mine to death!

You might take a look at the Cookshack Forum on their website, lots of good information there. I owned a Cookshack Amerique for seven years and right now have been using an FEC-100 for the last five years with no major issues.

These are bad arse cookers made in America from stainless steel, and most of their products are insulated. My FEC-100 doesn't care that it's 29 degrees outside right now.

David Bouska of Butcher BBQ just won The Jack cooking on a PG-500 and an FEC-100. He separates the Point and the Flat of his Brisket and cooks them on the PG-500 because he likes the draft.

Here is the space breakdown. Their multi zone setup, is what kept me from considering them. You might fit 3 small racks on there. You could do more with a rib rack though.

784 square inches: 10" x 18" direct cooking; 18"x18" indirect; 10"x28" top rack; warming drawer 19" x 13" x 4"

I know the dimension and I actually drove the a dealer to see it in person.
Sometimes the "real" cooking space is not the same. I've read some pellet smoker you can't put meat on the very edge because those area are much hotter due to outside of the diffuser.
I'm not interested in using rib rack though.

I've got a PG1000 (same cooking space) and KevinJ is right on target. They make a nice rib rack that holds 7 racks. Love mine to death!

Does it fit 3 racks on zone 4 without rib rack?
Do you use both zone 3 and 4 for ribs? I wonder if you have to swap them one in a while due to temperature differences.

1) Possible but if you use zone 3 and 4 easily
2)17lb packers should be no problem
3) I like the 4 zones and would use them to my advantage
4) Couldn't imagine a reverse sear being any easier
5)No, Cookshack is a great American company that stands behind their products.

Do you have example of how you use 4 zones?
I can see myself using zone 4 for ribs or brisket while zone 2 and 3 for chicken wings or sausage. What's are the tips of taking advantage of that?

You might take a look at the Cookshack Forum on their website, lots of good information there. I owned a Cookshack Amerique for seven years and right now have been using an FEC-100 for the last five years with no major issues.

These are bad arse cookers made in America from stainless steel, and most of their products are insulated. My FEC-100 doesn't care that it's 29 degrees outside right now.

David Bouska of Butcher BBQ just won The Jack cooking on a PG-500 and an FEC-100. He separates the Point and the Flat of his Brisket and cooks them on the PG-500 because he likes the draft.

I thought their forum was not quite as active. I might check it out again.

What's draft? I've read people reference that a couple of times but had no idea what it means.

What's draft? I've read people reference that a couple of times but had no idea what it means.

Draft is the air flow that goes through your cooker. A good draft helps with a clean burn, bark formation, and a great smoke ring.

Just ask here, there is ample advice.

My PG500 was the 20th to come off the manufacture line, I have cooked over 100 comps using it as my rib smoker. I cook three racks of St Louis cut ribs by laying them flat, flipping one time. I cook them at 275*, even have some 1st place trophies.:heh:

As far as draft....The PG500 has the pot fan run on high all the time, it produces more draft than the pellet poopers that have a variable speed fan, yes it gives it better bark, imho.

I have heard of some folks having a problem with the wields on a flame diffusor if they are using it at high temps a lot. I personally only direct grill at 325*. The temp is measured on the indirect side. I would guess it's around 475* on the direct side.

It will do a whole packer.

The different zones ie…...275* set temp zone 4, 300* zone 3, 325* zone 2, 425* direct zone. 140* warming tray. I've never run an infrared on this, just guessing at these temps, but it will give you some idea.

Yes, I have been totally happy with it. I have had to change the hot rod once, other than that, no replacement parts yet.

Only hot spot is front to back on the direct grill side and it's very little.

Last edited:
First thing...look for the "multi quote" button next to the quote button. Allows you to respond with quotes in one message. Just hit that + for each one, then then hit "quote" for the very last one and it will form up a message with all the quotes in it. :thumb:

I know the dimension and I actually drove the a dealer to see it in person.
Sometimes the "real" cooking space is not the same. I've read some pellet smoker you can't put meat on the very edge because those area are much hotter due to outside of the diffuser.
I'm not interested in using rib rack though.

This is the HUGE advantage of the PG500/1000 design: there is NO heat under the drip pan, (it's not a diffuser, because there's nothing to diffuse) like every other cooker on the market. That is why the indirect side is so good. You can cook right to the edge with no problem. You can cook at 600° indirect with no problem. The firepot is only under zone 1, and there is a wall between zone 1 and zone 4. Essentially you have a sear zone (zone 1) ready to go all the time, and the best indirect zone (zone 4) on the market. I throw steaks on zone 1, bacon wrapped asparagus in zone 2 a little bit early and everything gets done at the same time. Once you understand how to use it, the multi zone cooking is genius.

Also keep in mind that with the grill set to 500°, zone 1 will hit 800°. First cook (steaks) I set the grill to 600° and (over)cooked some 3/4" steaks in 4 minutes total time. I was later told that 600° usually ends up at close to 1000° in zone 1. There was a lot of red metal down there. :shock:

Not sure why you don't want to use the rib rack? It would solve all your problems. 7 racks would fit no problem in zone 4.

Does it fit 3 racks on zone 4 without rib rack?
Do you use both zone 3 and 4 for ribs? I wonder if you have to swap them one in a while due to temperature differences.

I could put 3 racks of babybacks in zone 4. I have not done STL, but I think you would not fit 3 of them in there. Yep, you can use zone 3 for ribs, they'll just get done faster, and then you can throw them in the warming drawer for holding. I'd likely be buying full spares, trimming off the tips, cooking those in zone 3 while I had the others on a rack in zone 4, and the whole mess would probably finish all at the same time.

Where the temp sensor is located, I've been seeing zone 4 about 10% under the set temp, and zone 3 is about 10% over. Haven't checked zone 2 yet.

I use the warming drawer WAY more than I thought I would. Cooking chicken thighs/legs/quarters you'll always end up with ones that cook faster than the others...I just throw 'em in the drawer. The temps down there are ~50% less than the grill setpoint, and they hang out quite nicely down there. That way I can finish the cook all at the same time, rather than pulling a few pieces here and there...drop 'em in the drawer and keep on truckin'.

My PG500 was the 20th to come off the manufacture line, I have cooked over 100 comps using it as my rib smoker. I cook three racks of St Louis cut ribs by laying them flat, flipping one time. I cook them at 275*, even have some 1st place trophies.:heh:
That's the temp I like to cook my ribs with. Do you use 275 all the way? How's the smoke profile? I keep hearing people say pellet grill has very little smoke flavor when using higher temp. They have to use "smoke (very low temp)" to get more smoke before setting a higher temp for cooking.

First thing...look for the "multi quote" button next to the quote button. Allows you to respond with quotes in one message. Just hit that + for each one, then then hit "quote" for the very last one and it will form up a message with all the quotes in it. :thumb:
Good to know, Thanks!

This is the HUGE advantage of the PG500/1000 design: there is NO heat under the drip pan, (it's not a diffuser, because there's nothing to diffuse) like every other cooker on the market. That is why the indirect side is so good. You can cook right to the edge with no problem. You can cook at 600° indirect with no problem. The firepot is only under zone 1, and there is a wall between zone 1 and zone 4. Essentially you have a sear zone (zone 1) ready to go all the time, and the best indirect zone (zone 4) on the market. I throw steaks on zone 1, bacon wrapped asparagus in zone 2 a little bit early and everything gets done at the same time. Once you understand how to use it, the multi zone cooking is genius.
I didn't see a wall between zone 1 and 4. I saw a little thing more like a little barrier less than an inch tall. Is this what you are talking about?
I hope the multi-zone is as useful and not just gimmicky to cover a design issue.

Not sure why you don't want to use the rib rack? It would solve all your problems. 7 racks would fit no problem in zone 4.
If it doesn't have enough space for what I usually want to do, I need to add the rib rack to the total price when I compare my options.
I never use rib rack but feels like it's not as convenient when applying sauce to ribs. It can get annoying if I have to deal with it over and over. That's why I want to know if it can do 3 ribs at once laying flat.

How well does it stainless handle weather?
I'm planning on leave it out in the open without cover. Any worry at all?

What's something you can do on the PG500/1000 but not some other cooker?
Please convince me to get PG500. I need enough reasons to justify the price tag.

Yes, I cook them all the way at 275*. Smoke profile is a personal preference, but yes I like what I taste about them.

As far as leaving it out uncovered, no I wouldn't treat mine like that. Pellets and moisture don't mix real well.

Don't expect me to convince you on buying one, because I could give a chit less one way or the other.:shock: I will answer any questions that you might have though.

ou3kHw.jpg

Last edited:
As far as leaving it out uncovered, no I wouldn't treat mine like that. Pellets and moisture don't mix real well.

One reason I want PG500 is the pellet drop. I'm planning on clearing it out into a bucket after use. I've read people with mold issue with cover on on various smoker. I don't cook as often as others. I just don't want to add something to introduce problem unnecessarily.

One reason I want PG500 is the pellet drop. I'm planning on clearing it out into a bucket after use. I've read people with mold issue with cover on on various smoker. I don't cook as often as others. I just don't want to add something to introduce problem unnecessarily.

I don't leave mine out, but if it was me I'd at least put a trash bag over that part of the smoker. Unless the newer one has change it has a louver cover over the end and I'd be worried about rain blowing in on the electronics. I could just be over cautious though. You can call CS and ask about it though, they will answer any questions on their products.

That's the temp I like to cook my ribs with. Do you use 275 all the way? How's the smoke profile? I keep hearing people say pellet grill has very little smoke flavor when using higher temp. They have to use "smoke (very low temp)" to get more smoke before setting a higher temp for cooking.

I cook my ribs at 275° straight through, no wrap and they come out great, 4 hours if I remember correctly. I have GMGs and the Cookshack puts out a superior smoke profile. With the GMGs I have to smoke at a low temp for a minimum of 30 mins to an hour to get any flavor. That step is absolutely not necessary with the Cookshack. Great flavor at higher temps.

I didn't see a wall between zone 1 and 4. I saw a little thing more like a little barrier less than an inch tall. Is this what you are talking about?
I hope the multi-zone is as useful and not just gimmicky to cover a design issue.

The wall goes from the bottom of the cooker to the inch or so you saw sticking up. That is what keeps any direct heat from getting under zone 4. The only way the heat gets there is going up and over that wall.

I can assure you that the zones are definitely useful. It's similar to what you get in an offset smoker that doesn't have reverse flow or tuning plates. it's hot at one end, and cool at the other. This cooker just does it in a circle rather than linearly.

If it doesn't have enough space for what I usually want to do, I need to add the rib rack to the total price when I compare my options.
I never use rib rack but feels like it's not as convenient when applying sauce to ribs. It can get annoying if I have to deal with it over and over. That's why I want to know if it can do 3 ribs at once laying flat.

Yeah, I can understand that. The problem is that you're saucing your ribs. :razz: :biggrin1: I think the rib rack is $56.

How well does it stainless handle weather?
I'm planning on leave it out in the open without cover. Any worry at all?

Stainless won't mind it one bit. It shouldn't have any problem, but I personally would keep a cover on it, especially if you don't use it much. Pellets don't like direct moisture at all, and if you get driving rain up under the pellet lid, you could have a mess. I will say that the pellet lid has significant overhang, and it'd probably have to be a hurricane before you'd get water under there, but you never know.

What's something you can do on the PG500/1000 but not some other cooker?
Please convince me to get PG500. I need enough reasons to justify the price tag.

Hmmm.

• True cold smoking in the warming tray. This is done with a tray of ice if you want really cold (like 60°) smoke. Great for salmon and other fish.
  • The cooker doesn't use a PID controller, and that is a real advantage I think. My GMGs burn too clean. The smoke I get out of this cooker is the closest I've ever had to a stick burner. I think in a blind taste test, people would be hard pressed to tell.
  • True indirect heat at any temp. There's just no heat under the indirect section.
  • Exhaust is below grate level. This keeps the cooking chamber full of smoke and makes for very even cooking.
  • Combustion fan runs all the time, no stale smoke in the chamber, and very good convective airflow, very even heat.

Not sure if that's necessary, I've never cleared any of my pellet cookers out, but they do live under a porch. If you do have mold, that's easily solved with running it at 600° for a while, then just brush the ash off. Even easier way to avoid that is just brush the grates when you finish cooking. Then there's nothing on the grates to grow mold.

I cook my ribs at 275° straight through, no wrap and they come out great, 4 hours if I remember correctly. I have GMGs and the Cookshack puts out a superior smoke profile. With the GMGs I have to smoke at a low temp for a minimum of 30 mins to an hour to get any flavor. That step is absolutely not necessary with the Cookshack. Great flavor at higher temps.
Great. This is the kind of info I needed to help me make the decision.

Yeah, I can understand that. The problem is that you're saucing your ribs. :razz: :biggrin1: I think the rib rack is $56.
I'm not exactly saucing them. My family like ribs to be finished off with a thin coat of honey.

Back