• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The White Weber is Now Black!!

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I guess I could have put this in my other thread, but since this was my first attempt at painting a grill I started a new one.

So I bought this Weber yesterday and the guy who sold it to me said he bought it already painted white (really off white by the time I got it). Pretty crazy since it looked bad. So I ran out today grabbed some high temp black paint and gave it a spraying.

Keep in mind I'm no painter and did this fairly quick. But I think it looks a million times better. She won't ever shine again, but that is fine with me.

Goodbye horrible white paint job.
IMG_1364.jpg

Hello mediocre black paint job :)
IMG_1365.jpg

Now a little flashback
IMG_1359.jpg

And finished. Well still gotta put the handles back on. Who's got links on how to make new wooden ones?? Though I'm not very handy.
IMG_1367.jpg

MUCH BETTER!! With a little elbow grease, some very fine grit sandpaper, and various polishing compounds, you may be able to wet sand it to a decent shine. I could be wrong, as I've never tried it with high temp paint.

As far as handles go...I made a lid handle out of some scrap hardwood. I just routed a dado, just wide and deep enough for the metal to sit into. Cut to length and width, softened the corners, and glued on a bottom piece using some CE glue. Surprisingly enough, it's held together for MANY long cooks.

You could also go this route, http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1300

Matt

MUCH BETTER!! With a little elbow grease, some very fine grit sandpaper, and various polishing compounds, you may be able to wet sand it to a decent shine. I could be wrong, as I've never tried it with high temp paint.

As far as handles go...I made a lid handle out of some scrap hardwood. I just routed a dado, just wide and deep enough for the metal to sit into. Cut to length and width, softened the corners, and glued on a bottom piece using some CE glue. Surprisingly enough, it's held together for MANY long cooks.

You could also go this route, http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1300

Matt

Thanks. I would like it to shine, but really doesn't matter. I found some of the actual weber handles on ebay too. Was trying to see if I (with little skill for anything construction/building) could attempt to make some handles.

Much better improvement. That white buffalo was a bit over the top... Handle? Maybe a piece of dowel or whack off the end of a broom handle, file & sand to your liking and then cut it in half. Cheers!!!

Hamiltont is spot on with his advice. Anything that is cooler to the touch than the metal will work. I've used antler and drumsticks to make handles for my NBBD.

If you want to try sanding, you'll need to start with at least 400grit wetordry paper, and keep going up. Get a foam pad, so the paper conforms to the shape of the kettle. If you're serious about polishing, give me a PM, and I'll tell you what I know. It's not a lot, but my drum kit really shines(I made it myself)!!

Matt

I guess I could have put this in my other thread, but since this was my first attempt at painting a grill I started a new one.

So I bought this Weber yesterday and the guy who sold it to me said he bought it already painted white (really off white by the time I got it). Pretty crazy since it looked bad. So I ran out today grabbed some high temp black paint and gave it a spraying.

Keep in mind I'm no painter and did this fairly quick. But I think it looks a million times better. She won't ever shine again, but that is fine with me.

Goodbye horrible white paint job.
IMG_1364.jpg

Hello mediocre black paint job :)
IMG_1365.jpg

Now a little flashback

And finished. Well still gotta put the handles back on. Who's got links on how to make new wooden ones?? Though I'm not very handy.

You did a nice job. That is the exact same paint I used on my Bandera restoration and I had the same mottled effect. Even after 3+ coats, it just would not even out.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1629477 said:
You did a nice job. That is the exact same paint I used on my Bandera restoration and I had the same mottled effect. Even after 3+ coats, it just would not even out.

Thanks. Yeah I put on 2 coats thinking that would get rid of the botches. I just thought I really sucked at spray painting stuff and that is why it looked like that. But at the end of the day it is all I wanted. I'll be cooking some wings and corn on it in a bit. So more to come!

You could try some engine enamel from an auto parts store. They have a glossy black that might work well. I have had good luck with that engine enamel for painting UDS's and it usually goes on evenly with light coats.

So I fired it up with some wings and corn. Did a honey teriyaki marinade on the chicken.

Funny, as soon as I poured the chimney into the weber the rain started pouring outside. It rained the whole time, but it ran without a problem.

Luckily I have a rain suit.
IMG_1368.jpg

Looking good.
IMG_1369.jpg

It was delicious. I love me some char on the chicken. I see a lot more grilling in my future.
IMG_1371.jpg

Whatever it looks like on the outside, looks like it works well on the inside! Maybe a UWB (ugly weber kettle)?:-D

Back