MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Continued Build Progress

My trailer build has been going a lot slower than I planned, but work has been busy and my two main helpers are busy pipefitters as well. Here is where we were in Feb.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=152954

We made some progress over the past two months and then we really took some steps forward in the past two days. The plan is to cook a pig on this on the 27th of July. My neighbor (the main welder) is having a graduation party for his youngest daughter (babysitter of my kids) on August 10th and wants to cook a pig. I do not want that to be my first pig, so the 27th is the test run. The whole trailer will not be done, but it will be functional.

Since the last post, we have added a Philco fridge that will allow me to hot/cold smoke sausages and hams as well as provide a smaller smoker chamber.

We have also added the air intake pipes for the fire box with custom homemade dampers.

Out of the firebox we have two 8 inch pipes with dampers. One more damper needs to be added to the pipe closest to the firebox. It will allow me to send smoke out of the right pipe, into the chamber of the big smoker to cool off and then back into the fridge for cold smoking.

Mounted on the other side of the trailer is a Tejas charcoal grill. When I got it off Craigslist it was modded to have a fire box and was made into a smoker. I took that box off and made it back into a charcoal cooker.

In between the charcoal grill and smoker chamber, I have room to mount a turkey fryer that will allow me to cook on my 28" discada.

We added two 6" chimneys on the smoker chamber. We also created two custom chimney tops.

For the rack, we fabbed up a setup that allows me to pull it out on rollers that are bolted to the rack and they ride in a channel made of strut. It keeps the rack from coming all of the way out as well as tipping. We then created t-handled bolts that can be easily removed to pull the whole rack out.

Before we can cook the pig, we need to tweak the hinge, add the heat deflector in the chamber and cut out the air intakes inside the firebox. We are really close.

The long term plan is to get this sandblasted, painted and then I have a bunch of aluminum diamond plate for a deck and a wood box for under the chamber. Slow and steady but progress is being made.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking build! Looking forward to finished pics

Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

that is coming along, lots of unique ideas I see there.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I like the way you are approaching this cooker, good ideas abound.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

Wowzers, that is one unique trailer! Can't wait to see the finished project my man. Keep up the good work.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvegaugepump View Post

You're going to want to insulate these pipes.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

i was thinking that too.. thats an awful long way for smoke and heat to travel...

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Looking really good! Is the fridge one of the old metal w/a porcelain interior? i had one that was my very first ever smoker, just put a small habachi with charcoal in the bottom and cooked on the fridge racks, mostly mullet back then.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Looking really good! Is the fridge one of the old metal w/a porcelain interior? i had one that was my very first ever smoker, just put a small habachi with charcoal in the bottom and cooked on the fridge racks, mostly mullet back then.
The inside is all metal except the door liner and a small edge around the fridge. I tore those out and will be replacing with metal. Fridge is last thing to complete. Hopefully in a few weeks.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil tank, trailer build, welding