Discussion Thread -> Let's Cook Like Julia Child!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Official Entry

OK Jed

Because I feel a little responsible for this throwdown but mostly because I like you I decided to throw in a Sous Vide Pork Loin Chop. I'm trusting you that Julia would approve of Sous vide but I'm guessing she would since it is French for something ( I think).

First I feel I might need all the help I can get in this one so I'm taking advantage of the cute kid crutch.

Someone went strawberry picking today and wanted to share.

Ok on to the meal

First a quick trip to the store

Time to fire up :razz: the immersion circulator and seal up the chops.

Into the bath for 90 minutes at 140

While the chops were swimming I cut up some little spuds.

I have some asparagus somewhere. While I'm looking for that I need to get to what is really almost the best part.

The sauce.

You take this stuff (be careful not to use too much platypus)

And if you're cooking like Julia its important you Apricot Preserve comes from the right country.

All joking aside I love this sauce. It is very easy to make and is wonderful.

Ok the chops are done swimming and need about a minute on the grill.

oops found the green stuff

Ok now onto the grill

And onto the plate (use this picture please)

Now for dessert.

I'm not really much of a wine drinker so I did the best I could and finished by ode to Julia with some of Scarlett's strawberries and my favorite kind of wine.

Thanks for looking.

Bravo, great job! Sous Vide (Vacuum Sealed) is only half the Job. But you did the full Monte! Congrats on a job well done!

Thanks

Jed

Oldyote, this is just fabulous! Bravo!

DSC_0114_zpsa4a80811.jpg

My offical entry is Julia's Lamb Shank Bourguignon on a bed of risotto with Julia's Grated Zucchini sautéed in butter and shallots.

The Lamb shank players
View attachment 82224

Salt and pepper
View attachment 82225

Brown the shanks.
View attachment 82226

We will use a bouquet of rosemary thyme and basil from the herb garden.
View attachment 82227

Once all the shanks are browned add the beef stock. the Burgondy wine and the bouquet
View attachment 82228

Cover and cook @375 or so for 90 min.
View attachment 82229

Mid cook
View attachment 82230

Time to get the risotto going
View attachment 82231

Butter and olive oil
View attachment 82232

Sauté some minced onion
View attachment 82234

Then add the rice and cook for 3 min.
View attachment 82235

When adding chicken stock it's important to warm it first so the rice won't stop cooking. Add 1 cup at a time and let it absorb.
View attachment 82236

On to the zucchini
View attachment 82237

Sauté the shallots and a bit of garlic.
View attachment 82238

Add the grated zucchini and sauté.
View attachment 82239

Looks like it's done!
View attachment 82240

On the platter
View attachment 82241

Zucchini plater
View attachment 82242

The fork shot.
View attachment 82243

Please use this as my entry picture,
View attachment 82241

Last edited:
I have tried smoking lamb shanks low and slow, and they were good, but IMO, braising is the best way to cook lamb shanks. Nice cook. :thumb:

CD

Official TD Entry - Chicken Supremes

For this week's addition of Cooking with Julia Child I read through "From Julia Child's Kitchen" and chicken supremes immediately caught my eye. Chicken breasts pounded thin, filled with a flavorful stuffing, rolled, breaded and fried. How could that not be delicious? I figured I would follow her technique but instead of frying I would cook them indirect on the kettle until golden brown and delicious.

I decided that I would do two fillings, the first was swiss chard from my garden, bacon and cold smoked Beecher's Flagship cheese. The second was asparagus, sun dried tomato and feta. I also created a sauce using some smoke stock I made last week and a quick white wine chicken stock I made in my pressure cooker while I was prepping everything else.

The cast of characters

To start I pulled out my favorite instrument for smashing, an eight inch cast iron griddle and got to pounding.

Once I had pounded all of the breasts to about 1/4" thickness is set them aside and got to the filling. I browned some bacon and then wilted down the chard in the bacon fat.

I cut up the asparagus into smaller pieces and then got to stuffing.

The bacon, chard mixture

The asparagus feta mixture

All rolled up tight

Then breaded in flour then egg then panko

And then tied with butchers twine to prevent them splitting open on the grill

They went onto the kettle over indirect heat four about 30 minutes or so.

While they were cooking up I made a sauce using a quick chicken stock I made in the pressure cooker, about 1/4 cup of smoked stock, rosemary, garlic, schallot, thyme, and lemon zest.

The chicken came off the kettle to rest

I made a beurre manie with clarified butter and flour to thicken the sauce (included the obligatory wine shot to show I was really cooking like Julia)

And then I cooked up some green beans, wax beans and purple beans I had picked from the garden, in the remaining bacon fat.

The cool thing about the purple beans is that they turn dark green when you cook them.

After a 10 minute rest I cut a couple of the supremes

And then plated them up with the beans. Please use this as my entry pic:

These were absolutely delicious. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! Moose & Ron, I forgot to mention in the original post, can you please use the last photo as the entry pic?

Back