MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
lhommedieu
On the road to being a farker

Default Best Equipment for cutting UDS

I'm using a UDS for BBQ but have another one that I'd like to cut to make a grill. I was wondering what the best tool is for cutting out a quarter section of the wall? Grizzly just sent the following ad to my email:

"H5503 Electric Sheet Metal Shear

This Electric Sheet Metal Shear features a 1/2 HP, 110V, 2500 RPM, 3.8 amp motor, a 360 degree adjustable swivel head, and variable speeds from 0 to 2500 SPM. Cuts up to 14 gauge in mild steel and 18 gauge in stainless, at up to 150 inches per minute. Weighs 5 lbs."

Would this tool be appropriate or should I get something else?

Best

Steve

Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Saber saw and a pack of metal cutting blades or a cutoff wheel and a high speed angle grinder.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I've never used the shears before, but was wondering about them myself. I used a sawsall with metal blade and a high speed air cutter with a 3 in disk. Sawsall beat me up and was hard to control air cutter slower but lots prettier. Im sure someone here used the shears before.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Fwismoker

Curious as to the shears as well.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I've used electric shears in the past, and they work great for cutting thin metal, it can be a little difficult to get a straight line. If it were me and I was going to buy a tool for this specific task, I'd get a sawzall or a grinder because you can use them for a lot more than just cutting metal.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
deguerre

How often will you use the shears after this particular job? If I were only cutting the drum I'd just use a manual handsaw with a metal cutting blade. It'll take some time and effort, for sure, but you might have better control too.

This is pretty nifty, and similar to something I have:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/product...ct_listing_ads
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Saber saw and a pack of metal cutting blades or a cutoff wheel and a high speed angle grinder.
+1...Do NOT use a Sawz-All unless your aim is true.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
+1...Do NOT use a Sawz-All unless your aim is true.
And if you are prone to moments of dumbarsery then definitely do not use a sawzall...personal experience.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I've used them all, shears are fast for thin metal like mentioned and hard to get a perfect cut. Cutoff wheels are good on a straight or 90 degrees air grinder. Electric 4 inch grinders are harder to control for a perfect cut. The 90 deg air grinder with the "green wheel" are thin and you can make a perfect cut if you have a compressor big enough to supply the air. They make alot of dust. Sawzall, I can cut a vehicle completely in half/quarters within less than a 1/16 of an inch of my line at the most. But I do have alot of experience. Never put the "foot " of the sawzall against your object after you get started cutting, use a longer blade when your trying to hold a straight line. 32 teeth per inch for a fine cut, 18 teeth for a faster cut on metal. When you reach the end of your cut you really have to be careful. With the 90 deg air grinder it will take longer than the sawzall.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Pburke24
Got Wood.

I used a dewalt disc grinder to cut the top off of mine. I never tried cutting one in half.
Pburke24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off disc
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
STCL01

4 1/2" grinder with cut-off wheel. Get a 10 pack of wheels from Harbor Freight. Snap a line for your cut and just score it gently with the cut-off wheel. You then have a groove that will result in a straight line.

Wear your gloves and for God's sake wear safety glasses or face shield.
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off disc
Agreed, works great!!

Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
lhommedieu

Thanks, all, for the advice. As I am about the most mechanically disinclined person that you can imagine I will take your safety advice to heart, as well. I sounds like the 4 1/2" angle grinder is a popular choice - so I'm going to go with that.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
Thanks, all, for the advice. As I am about the most mechanically disinclined person that you can imagine I will take your safety advice to heart, as well. I sounds like the 4 1/2" angle grinder is a popular choice - so I'm going to go with that.
Avoid Harbor Freight grinders and blades. Pick up a Dewalt or similar at Home Depot, they have blades too.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote