Source for 16-Mesh Black Pepper

I found a very coarse pepper at Resturant Depot. Didn't say what the grind was but it is very coarse. It was $49 for the large 5 Lbs plastic jug. Worked great for the "Frank-a-Lillian" rib rub.

The very course grind at Restaurant Depot is "Butchers Grind" It is bigger than 16 mesh black pepper. I actually prefer to use it over, the 16 mesh ground pepper, aka "Cafe Grind"

It seems to me that different brands are actually different, like coarse in 1 brand will be like cracked in another, if you can eyeball it first in a store, restaurant grind is what I would guess to be closer to what your looking for

16 mesh is actually "Cafe Grind"

The very course grind at Restaurant Depot is "Butchers Grind" It is bigger than 16 mesh black pepper. I actually prefer to use it over, the 16 mesh ground pepper, aka "Cafe Grind"

Funny you should mention this, because I just bought some of the coarse ground at Restaurant Depot yesterday and I was coming back to post about it and see if anyone knew what mesh it was. Definitely liked the looks of it. If I like it in the finished product I'll go back for the 5lb jug when this 1 lb bottle is done.

The best deal I was able to get for some 16-mesh was from Monterey Bay Spice Co. at http://herbco.com
(though they seem to be out of stock right now)
They can ship flat rate if the order is relatively small for around $5 to TX
Check them out.

CFC

(Edit: Missed the post above already pointing to them - CFC)

I've read that Olde Thompson coarse ground mesh size is 15 and that's available at Wal-Mart and several stores at my home town.

Bump

Since this thread is over five years old i was curious if anyone had new sources of 16 mesh pepper they liked. Read Amazon reviews are useless because some people say it's perfect while others say brand x isn't actually 16 mesh.

I trust you guys, what are you buying

I agree with Franklin. Pepper gives a great color and texture to your BBQ but you don't want to burn off your taste buds.

I take his advice and empty a packet onto a sheet pan and let it sit out for a few days to mellow before funneling it back into a shaker bottle.

This is a very important component to the texture and color of my BBQ. I'm a Texan and we are into our S&P! :loco:

On Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Bay...qid=1608097062&sprefix=16+mesh,aps,186&sr=8-8

I pretty much learned how to do brisket from Aaron but I paid no attention to the mesh of pepper apparently. I use Malabar pepper from the Spice House (and as mentioned above, they list their grinds for ordering black pepper). I grind it myself. I have one of those coffee grinder type machines so I get a mix of fine and course. I've never had it be too strong. A big piece of rich meat like brisket can handle it, in my opinion.

Spice House extra course is 16/20 grind.

Back