Ribs: Foil? Rest? BB? Spares?

Ribs: Foil? BB? Spares?

• I foil my ribs, only way to go

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I wouldn't foil my ribs unless I am using liquid smoke

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Got my baby back

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Spare me the backs, and give me the spares!

Votes: 25 53.2%

• Total voters

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Do you foil your ribs or not? How about resting, do you rest them like you would a butt or a brisket?

While we're at it - do you prefer Baby backs or Spares?

im a trimmed spares kinda guy, more meatier than bb's...as far as foiling goes, i try to avoid it, but if im in a rush and want to eat dinner, ill do it, but only for 30-40 minutes, not a mushy rib kinda guy.

I do spares. Been letting them ride lately, nofoil. I let set on counter 5-10 min. They seem to slice cleaner.

Help!! well i messed up my first poll - just like my bbq...
how do i edit the poll options to allow multiple choice votes?
:?:

Foil, baby backs only. 1.5 on smoke, then foil the remainder, rest out of foil
for about 30 mins...

I do baby backs and foil them. I'm not a big fan of spares. Something about the flavor is a little off for me.

I honestly beleive there is no correct answer for this. However, I currently like my BB's unfoiled, and my spares foiled. I let them rest.

I honestly beleive there is no correct answer for this. However, I currently like my BB's unfoiled, and my spares foiled. I let them rest.

Exactly why I posted the poll. The answers will vary as much as the people and the Q they prefer.
I have the way I like to do them (spares, short foiling, very little rest), but I know everyone else has their own preferences.

Sometimes I want spares, sometimes I want BBs. I never foil BBs and have shyed away from foiling spares lately!

I did two slabs Tuesday. St. Louis spares using no foil. Slab of loin backs using the 2-1-1 method. I added a half cup of apple juice when I foiled them. The foiled ones didn't have much of the rub flavor, but they were very tender. The spares were very tasty and had the tug factor. Really though when it comes to ribs, I like them all. EXCEPT BOILED!!!!!!!!!!

St. Louis trimmed spares - no foil - sprayed every hour - 5-6 hours in the smoke.

I prefer spares...and no foil.
(Beef ribs are my favorite though...still no foil).

Foil? Not in a million years, might as well boil them and finish in the oven.

Spares over loin backs every time unless no spares available. Spares uncut, right out of the pack on to the grill.

Sauce? Maybe, if they taste a little off.

Incomplete poll.....
Boiled spares, foiled with liquid smoke finished in the oven.
I find this to be authentic to most BBQ restaurants.

Back