MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #10666
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

RED,WHITE, and BLUE..............
Great looking trio............

Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #10667
Singed 'Stache
Found some matches.

Default My John Deere UDS

Well last summer someone at work was disposing of a shipping barrel that I took home with the crazy idea of making a smoker. When I searched the net, this thread came up and I realized what I really wanted was called a UDS. What a fascinating new world! Yes, I read every single post and kept great notes. Then, I made my own. Here it is... folding cedar shelf and all. Tonight, I lit the basket, and... IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Thin wispy smoke, holds a steady 225... I made MOINKs tonight and tried out the bottle opener on some Wisconsin microbrew. Oh my goodness I love this thing! To all the brethren who have posted their experiences in the first 700 pages of this thread, I thank you for the education.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6375s.jpg (205.7 KB, 815 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6379s.jpg (153.0 KB, 804 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6381s.jpg (181.9 KB, 808 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6382s.jpg (161.9 KB, 811 views)
Singed 'Stache is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #10668
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer325 View Post
Ok, plan on finishing my build this weekend, but I have one question. First I have ADD and my last day working on the drum it bit me in the arse. Without taking my parts list I FUBAR'd and got 1" fittings, got home, realized they didn't fit my 1" holes. So I start drilling and enlarging hole #1. Get the first nipple in, THEN it strikes me as odd it wouldn't fit, so I look at my list, :banghead: OHHH that's why was supposed to get 3/4". :( .
So back to Lowes get correct hardware as well as a 1" - 3/4 reducer. Got all installed and painted.
Hers the question. I lucked out, picked through a friends scrap pile and what do I find but 36" pipe, elbow and ball valve. :D get home and realize they are all 1". I still have 1" nipple that can be reinstalled to make it all work.
Can I use all the 1" stuff without it being much of an issue or should I just go buy 3/4" pipe and valve?

Oh yeah I like to talk a lot too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Use the one inch pipe and nipple. You can always just close the valve if needed.

pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #10669
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I use 2, 1" nipples and 1, 1" ball valve on "Robot".... Works great.

My next build will be one 1" nipple /pipe cap, one 11/2" ball valve / nipple. I got the 11/2" brass valve for $11.00 !

Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #10670
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceKWHP View Post
one 11/2" ball valve / nipple. I got the 11/2" brass valve for $11.00 !
LOL, I read that as a 5.5" ball valve at first. Now that I'd like to see on a UDS.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #10671
Rampking
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Finally got mine done...

...and here it is! Going to start trying it out today. Ok so I know the paint job is a little Redneck....lol

Rampking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #10672
Hammer325
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampking View Post
...and here it is! Going to start trying it out today. Ok so I know the paint job is a little Redneck....lol

Redneck he#+ that is FARKING SWEET!!!!

Hammer325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #10673
Rampking
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Rampking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #10674
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Just a thought here... as you all know I got a PBC and made a video about it.

Now the purpose of this post is not really to promote that but when I spoke to Noah over the phone I remember telling him that he should make a little extra coin by making a rack/hook hanging adapter for our UDSs in case someone wants to hang.

Thing is, its really not necessary and here is why. Look at this photo from Ninesixteen's UDS.

I was able to find this post by the way in the original and colossal 214 page UDS Thread by using my indexing thread I made here in case you want to find something in this thread without going through every page.

It more or less is the original lid design. Since this many of us have made exhausts that when you total up the area of outlet they equal more or less the total square inches of all these holes drilled in the top. Many of us have found we don't need all those holes and the regular top ports (one small and one) big will do.

Now look at this shot from a PBC thread...

We liked the hanging aspect of the PBC, so we incorporated into our UDS.

We liked the hanging aspect of the PBC, so we incorporated into our UDS.

So think on it. Simply drill pretty much the same holes in you uds SIDE, get some rebar and hooks and you are good to go. Buy a new lid and DON'T put the holes in it... simply use the holes that are in it. Heck, technically you could simply drill ALL these holes in the side or less if you want to make them bigger.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #10675
tu42gpw
Found some matches.

Well always late on the bandwagon...but got my first UDS up and running today. Brisket and beer can chicken are in the blue haze now....

Last edited by tu42gpw; 03-10-2013 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: add photo
tu42gpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #10676
Hammer325
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

As I promised, basket built, season burn started!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using
Tapatalk 2
Hammer325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #10677
Bigbux58
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singed 'Stache View Post
Well last summer someone at work was disposing of a shipping barrel that I took home with the crazy idea of making a smoker. When I searched the net, this thread came up and I realized what I really wanted was called a UDS. What a fascinating new world! Yes, I read every single post and kept great notes. Then, I made my own. Here it is... folding cedar shelf and all. Tonight, I lit the basket, and... IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Thin wispy smoke, holds a steady 225... I made MOINKs tonight and tried out the bottle opener on some Wisconsin microbrew. Oh my goodness I love this thing! To all the brethren who have posted their experiences in the first 700 pages of this thread, I thank you for the education.
Great build... How did you do the springer handle? I can't figure it out?
Bigbux58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #10678
Singed 'Stache
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbux58 View Post
Great build... How did you do the springer handle? I can't figure it out?
Thank you. The spring handle is a steel rod slipped through a spring between a steel bracket. The two push nuts (painted yellow) hold the bolt and spring in place. The bracket is fastened to the lid with four 1/2 inch #10 stainless steel bolts. On the back side of the lid where the spring handle bolts come through I fastened a piece of 1" wide steel bar about 6 inches long. This bar is bent in a U-shape to serve as a lid hanger. I had read about some people having trouble with their lid blowing around in a good wind, if it was up, or not wanting to put the greasy thing down on the patio. I find my contraption holds quite solid and perfectly perpendicular.
Singed 'Stache is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #10679
chunkylatinlover
Knows what a fatty is.

Default UDS air intake question from a newbie

Hello fellow bar-b-quer's! I had a question on air flow for my first UDS build.Ive seen a lot of UDS with the ball valve extened with a pipe so you wont have to bend down to fine tune the air flow. Will this allow enough airflow through since the air has to travel a longer and more complicated distance to get to the fire instead of a short straight shot? I would love to be able to control the ball valve standing but dont want to lose air flow to the fire.
chunkylatinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #10680
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylatinlover View Post
Hello fellow bar-b-quer's! I had a question on air flow for my first UDS build.Ive seen a lot of UDS with the ball valve extened with a pipe so you wont have to bend down to fine tune the air flow. Will this allow enough airflow through since the air has to travel a longer and more complicated distance to get to the fire instead of a short straight shot? I would love to be able to control the ball valve standing but dont want to lose air flow to the fire.
Here's an option, I have 3 extended valve adjusters on one of my drums;

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker