MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #16
agoldswo
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Goldy

My favorite backstrap recipe is to saute 2 diced onions, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, and 2 large shallots, minced, in some olive oil until translucent. Add 5 cups of a good Cabernet, 2 cups of beef or veal stock, 2 or 3 tablespoons of whole juniper berries, and 3 or 4 bay leaves. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 15 or 20 minutes, until it's reduced by 1/4. Let it cool, and marinate the whole backstrap/tenderloin covered overnight. Grill hot and fast to rare/med-rare. For a sauce, i make up an espagnole sauce and reduce it down, adding some of the marinade. Damn good!
agoldswo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-03-2014, 04:08 AM   #17
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

Store bought?OOH haillll no!! Ask around im sure you can find someone that has extra in the freezer, most Real hunters would be glad to give you some, chances are they have cooked it so many ways they wont eat it anymore at least till fall.I dont like all the fancy junk on it, its like your trying to cover up poor handling of the deer. Salt Pepper, onion, or even lipton onion soup mix works great for roasts. A good portion of our deer here are nice and fat anywhere between 150-300lb,A nice 2-3 year olds are yummy, good luck

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #18
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

To give you something other than Backstrap (which is great) I'll throw in a Roast. My family loves Italian "beef" made with a venison roast. The venison creates a rich flavor that beef doesn't have. I use this recipe with 2 modifications,

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Co...r_results_p1i1

I use "Better than Bullion" beef broth and drop the salt from the recipe. When it's done cooking, I pour the liquid in a pan to reduce while I shred the venison. I'm guessing you could also do this on the smoker (I have not) like you would a chuckie.

In general, the problem with cooking venison on a smoker (assuming low & slow) is that it will dry out because it's so lean. If you have a burning desire to do it on the smoker I would consider HnF, add a bacon wrap, and pull the venison off at a lower IT.

Good luck and post the pics!!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #19
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I want to shoot a deer lol. Just to save money.

I dunno, I never terminated an animal before. Bugs yes.

I'd probably feel sad.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but unless you plan to process (read butcher, package, grind, cure, stuff, etc...) you are not saving a dime. Even then you need to already have the equipment (foodsaver, grinder, stuffer, casings, etc... I paid between $150-$200 for processing (fresh cuts & processed) plus another $150 or so for a simple antler mount (gotta keep a 10 point rack)

If you have the option to pick up a cut here or there your probably better off unless you love hunting and love venison, then get out there...it's a blast!!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #20
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can cook venison the same way you would cook the similar cut of beef. Keep in mind that the venison is very much leaner and the cuts are also much smaller.

Because of this you should cook the venison hotter and faster to prevent the meat from getting dry and tough.

The state division of wildlife gives me 2 doe permits every year. I hunt to fill the extra freezer. The doe meat has more fat content and it does not have the strong gamey flavor associated with venison that most people encounter.

You can even make venison ham and venison bacon. Although they do not taste like their pork counterparts they get their names from, they are very very good. A good ham press or netting (available from many sausage making suppliers) will hold the smaller pieces of meat together during smoking helping to form 1 larger cut (like a daisey ham).

IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I am going to buck (yes I did) the trend. Cut the hams in to round steaks. I grill them and chicken fry them.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but unless you plan to process (read butcher, package, grind, cure, stuff, etc...) you are not saving a dime. Even then you need to already have the equipment (foodsaver, grinder, stuffer, casings, etc... I paid between $150-$200 for processing (fresh cuts & processed) plus another $150 or so for a simple antler mount (gotta keep a 10 point rack)

If you have the option to pick up a cut here or there your probably better off unless you love hunting and love venison, then get out there...it's a blast!!
Thanks.

Yeah I have everything to process a deer pretty much.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #23
dirtydingus
On the road to being a farker

Just remember, if you're going to grill any part of the deer, cook til med. rare only, or you'll be able to make a pair of shoes out of it. Good luck. There's nothing better, if cooked proper.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

We eat venison in this house at least once a week. All the above ideas are GREAT ones! I like to butterfly the backstrap, stuff with peppers, and cream cheese, then roll in bacon and grill to medium rare.

I tool this one to medium for some company at they loved it!

Mrtodd777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #25
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

Venison burgers are amazing as well. Just don't overcook.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #26
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

If you are ever in the North Dallas area, shoot me a PM. I will happily give you a roast and some backstrap to mess around with.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #27
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Mrtodd777, wow those photos: how well they are cooked, how you presented them and the camera angles.. you're killing me!

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer next time we go down to Dallas. I could trade you some buckboard bacon or homemade pastrami or something.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #28
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks! Sounds like a plan to me!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #29
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

As said - do not overcook - rare is really good, med rare ok, well done - yuck.
I butcher my own and make small rib racks.

mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #30
wladrules
Full Fledged Farker

Here's some filets from a backstrap that I cook in my cast iron skillet.

Plated: