Split turn in tables

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
I was down at Shelby NC and they had split turn in tables. They had teams 1-39 turn in one spot and 40-81 turn in at the other. They carried the boxes back together only from the turn in sides. I cannot say what happened when the boxes got to the judges room, but it did not seem right to me. You were never able to turn in against half of the comp from what it appeared. Anyone know why they would do this and maybe another comp where they have seen this???????????

That did that at Little Rock this Spring... I was just assuming they would be matched up behind the tent.... I was figuring it was just for congestion at turn-in tables is why they did it... But I never really gave it much thought... Maybe I should have, as I see what youa re talking about...

It does not make sense to label. You can move the lines along just as fast having more then one person accepting boxes. There is no difference if you have two lines with one person at each accepting boxes or one line with two people accepting boxes. The entire label thing bothered me a bit. I spoke with KCBS and they told me that they put all the boxes on trays and moved them to the back and then re arranged them. To me they accomplished nothing by doing this, other then moving the boxes to many times and more room for error and meat shifting. I may be over thinking this!

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be happy with it either, unless I had complete confidence in that particular rep. Even so, the *appearance* of opportunity for impropriety should be avoided. Having two turn-in lines that were open for all teams would have accomplished the same aim.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure that it made it easier/faster for them to find the appropriate re-numbering label that way, and not cause a bottleneck while they are searching for your new number. I doubt that had any impact on what tables our turnin's went to.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure that it made it easier/faster for them to find the appropriate re-numbering label that way, and not cause a bottleneck while they are searching for your new number. I doubt that had any impact on what tables our turnin's went to.

Nice job on peoples choice, my daughter and I voted for you. Good brisket!

If you've never worked turn-ins you have no idea how much pressure is on those people. I can see where splitting the turn-ins at a large comp would reduce the chance for error on the blind re-numbering and also speed up the process of getting the boxes to the judges. Having 2 open tables would not accomplish the same thing as the renumber people would still have to search all 80+ team#'s for each box. As for the OP's " You were never able to turn in against half of the comp" that would really only apply chicken as the boxes are renumbered and then sorted to go to different tables than previous turn-ins. Just because you turn in your entry just ahead or behind someone means nothing once they go to through the sort/distribution process.

If the original number on the box is the team number on the list and they are in numerical order, I cannot see the confusing part of re numbering?

If the original number on the box is the team number on the list and they are in numerical order, I cannot see the confusing part of re numbering?

I agree completely with you and Diva there should be no confusion, and the *appearance* of opportunity for impropriety should be avoided

If you've never worked turn-ins you have no idea how much pressure is on those people. I can see where splitting the turn-ins at a large comp would reduce the chance for error on the blind re-numbering and also speed up the process of getting the boxes to the judges.

And yet the American Royal does this for 500 teams and the Great American for 250.

At Russellville, I noticed after ribs turn in that they were carrying all of the boxes back and then holding them ALL until the end of the window. I waited until the end of the pork and brisket window to bring my box to the judges. Figured I'd have a little fresher product than the guy who dropped his off 10 min before me.

And yet the American Royal does this for 500 teams and the Great American for 250.

At Russellville, I noticed after ribs turn in that they were carrying all of the boxes back and then holding them ALL until the end of the window. I waited until the end of the pork and brisket window to bring my box to the judges. Figured I'd have a little fresher product than the guy who dropped his off 10 min before me.

No chit? I was the first rib turn in, what a bummer that my ribs sat for over 10 minutes before being judged. Joe and Andy thought my ribs were great. They tasted them long before the judges...

Since KCBS judging is not comparative, you're not "turning in against" anybody. It's always only six random judges out of the larger field that sample your food. I guess I don't understand why you would have an issue with what sounds like a reasonable solution to dealing with congestion at the turn-in table for a large contest.

Since KCBS judging is not comparative, you're not "turning in against" anybody. It's always only six random judges out of the larger field that sample your food. I guess I don't understand why you would have an issue with what sounds like a reasonable solution to dealing with congestion at the turn-in table for a large contest.

In the rules, correct, it is not comparative. I will argue until I die, you are competing against only your table. If you beat the other five entries at the table you will place well. I have had comment cards that said yours was the best piece of meat on my plate, thats comparative if you ask me. Also the judges are human and they are comparing meat to meat no matter what they say.

Back