MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ pitmasters: What was your thought?

I watched last nights show but was distracted about and missed the middle of it. Anyways, what I did see, I enjoyed.. But that Myron (I think that was his name) seemed to do everything that I had read, wrong? Using lighter fluid? Fast cooking? Part of me thinks that was all done just for the show? Or to get a rise out of the audience?

Anyways, what are all your thoughts?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
LouCfur
Knows what a fatty is.

I thought the show was entertaining but I also find the "reality show" format to be annoying, ie- a lot of bad acting and synthetic plot lines. I have not yet competed but I know better than to turn in boxes looking like the ones the kid from Texas did. I also don't believe the wife didn't know how to stoke a fire or that the kid couldn't be woke up. I'd a kicked his chair out from under him or poured cold water down his pants. I'll continue to watch but I won't be staying up until 11:00 to see it.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Earlier post: look in page 2 onward for reactions and thoughts.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=73612

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Enjoyed it.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

I liked it.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I think the previews for coming episodes when old man Trigg confronts some drunk ass, was the best part

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
I think the previews for coming episodes when old man Trigg confronts some drunk ass, was the best part
now that's compelling television!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Jorge

I enjoyed it. Johnny is just Johnny. There's not anybody cooking that's more competitive. Whether he's talking smack,or bbq I'm going to be listening.
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Since when is Johnny ever out of his motorhome long enough to be concerned about someone's fire going out, let alone get in a fight??? And the guy from Texas !! DAL in 2 categories and a Reserve DAL in a 3rd. !!! Do you really want the Nation to see that???? The Blonde was HOT!! I thought Tuffy did the best job.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
Warthog
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Good show in general. A little over hammed up

Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCfur View Post
I thought the show was entertaining but I also find the "reality show" format to be annoying, ie- a lot of bad acting and synthetic plot lines. I have not yet competed but I know better than to turn in boxes looking like the ones the kid from Texas did. I also don't believe the wife didn't know how to stoke a fire or that the kid couldn't be woke up. I'd a kicked his chair out from under him or poured cold water down his pants. I'll continue to watch but I won't be staying up until 11:00 to see it.
If you judge contests you'll see that and worse. You'd be amazed. And taste - well some people turn in raw chicken and get a DQ and others turn in shoe leather for brisket sliced with the grain. True stories.

I was a little surprised his wife didn't use a pan of cold water or maybe she did and they cut it out. I thought that's what she was going into the motorhome for.

It was good TV although it's reality TV and it's a show with a script that the "stars" follow but they can't script the ending. Kind of cool.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylersk View Post
I watched last nights show but was distracted about and missed the middle of it. Anyways, what I did see, I enjoyed.. But that Myron (I think that was his name) seemed to do everything that I had read, wrong? Using lighter fluid? Fast cooking? Part of me thinks that was all done just for the show? Or to get a rise out of the audience?

Myron has been cooking fast for years. You take his class and then decide if you want to cook fast or slow. Bottom line is he wins. Gets to bed early in the motel, wakes up about 4 for a shower then gets onsite by 5. Sounds good to me. I may try a couple of fast briskets this winter. It's easy to get an FE up to 350.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
MJHuffDaddy
On the road to being a farker

No one from Kansas City??? hmmmmmmmm

Last edited by MJHuffDaddy; 12-04-2009 at 08:55 AM..
MJHuffDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylersk View Post

That's what's great about Myron. He's the great myth-buster of BBQ! Too many folks aproach BBQ like it's wine tasting - there is supposed to be some sort of pure understanding of the art only to be comprehended by a few. Myron busts that all to hell.

That's not just for the show - he cooks his hogs, briskets, and pork butts at 350. Ribs and chicken @ 300.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

I liked it. I learned some things from it also. Like using muffin tins to keep the shape of your chicken thighs. If Myron keeps winning doing briskets hot and fast then I don't think it's the wrong way, just a different way.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote