MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #16
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
What do you cook on?
Currently an ecb. Can't burn out a drum in my backyard (fire issues again) and can't convince the wife that we need an WSM six months after buying a new Weber gasser (yes she loves the smoked food, she thinks I'm going to abandon gasser completely. I keep telling here thats for cooking chicken breasts on weekdays )
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaberwabee View Post
As for the yard, ash when mixed with water is acidic. Thats why ash left in smokers gets wet and results in rust throughs. Acidic can be good for your lawn actually or it could be bad. We spread ash 2-3 times a year around our Azaleas and Rodedendrums, and they are thriving!
Great idea on for the azaleas. Ours are currently very unhappy.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburt View Post
I spread ash in my yard, it's been fine. We can use anything to increase top soil depth here in VA, especially on this side of the mountains (and the neighbors kinda got mad when I spread chicken litter the first time). If you have a pH issue with the ashes then add a bit of ammonia. Not only will it bump the pH up for you but will give you a nice N addition.
This is correct however I would not recomend spreading ammonia if you have kids or pets, Chicken chit will do what needs to be done there for acidity and a bit of ammonia too.

You can make lye with hard wood ashes, most briquetts dont have enough hardwood in them to make good lye because they are generaly made with soft woods. Your ashes can be spread in your garden or grass without harm as long as they are not piled up.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote