MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Default Glove usage at comps

My wife mentioned to me this morning when she was putting on a pair of gloves to finish packaging the meat for the freezer on what she observed at the comp this past weekend.

I was shocked....

She told me that one of the team members near us, put on a pair of latex gloves. But, never took them off all day long. He moved heating blankets, put his hands in mitts to remove racks from the cooker, cut meat, pulled foil out of the box to cover his table, etc.... on and on, and NEVER changed his gloves.

Did she see something wrong?????

What are your inputs on this.... and yes, he was one of the "big" boys.....

I suppose that is one way to cut expenses... only 1 box of gloves every 2 years....

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

You use gloves?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

I sure do, and change them regular... Every time I finish with one type of meat, change gloves. If I touch something else, change gloves....

I probably use more than most, but I do change them often. I probably went through close to a box just this weekend.....not counting what my wife used.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I use gloves and change them constantly. Not only for food safety but keeps my hands cleaner. I buy them in a box o 100 and they dont last 2 comps.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

I change gloves every time I change foods or touch a non-food item that might be a source of contamination.

A lot of people don't seem to have grasped the glove concept. I notice that when I go into a deli, it seems that half the time I order a sandwich, the counterperson will put on a pair of gloves, make the sandwich, bag the food, take my money, make change and start the next person's sandwich without ever taking the gloves off or changing them. They might as well be working with their bare hands.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Ya I'm the same way, go through a ton of gloves at comps and cooking at home.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I go through a fair amount of gloves at a comp also, I don't think I go through as many as some of you but I get mine in boxes of 500 I believe so its hard to tell for sure. I also use them at home all the time easier than trying to get rub out from under my finger nails.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
jt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAsQue View Post
A lot of people don't seem to have grasped the glove concept. I notice that when I go into a deli, it seems that half the time I order a sandwich, the counterperson will put on a pair of gloves, make the sandwich, bag the food, take my money, make change and start the next person's sandwich without ever taking the gloves off or changing them. They might as well be working with their bare hands.
Except that their hands are clean when they take them off.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

When I took my food handler's class (and passed) the instructor said that glove wearing is being discouraged now days because is so common people stop washing their hands and even forget to change gloves.

I still wear my gloves, but sometimes I have to remind myself not to scratch my nose or touch my face.

Diamond Plate FAT 50 Ultra
200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
2 55-Gal Vertical Barrels
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!
TOPS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Mitchelina
Got Wood.

We're definitely glove users. We use the food handling gloves for contact with raw meats and go through a minimum of 5 pairs each during prep. Then we shed the gloves and clean everything up with soapy water and Lysol food surface disinfectant.

During cooking we switch to silicone or some other heat retardant material. During the boxing phase if I'm not using gloves I have a hand sink right next to me and wash constantly. My paranoid brain thinks that one of these days the county health dept is going to come strolling through a competition and a lot of people are going to be seriously embarrassed. Or some kid is going to get sick.

I really watch the way people keep their pits/cooking areas. Most people are pretty fastidious but there is some grossness out there... things not wiped down, food sitting out for hours, etc.
Mitchelina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPS BBQ View Post
I still wear my gloves, but sometimes I have to remind myself not to scratch my nose or touch my face.
The last food safety course I took before gloves were required in food service (...pardon me while my joints creak), the instructor was asked why smoking was a food contamination concern since cigarette ash is sterilized by the heat of burning. He said that the health department wasn't concerned about the ash (although the customer might well be), they didn't want people touching their lips and then handling food. Makes you wonder just what's going on in your mouth.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Vinyl or latex? Does it matter?

I prefer to wear tight ones while prepping food, then switching to the loose poly one's when touching the meat after. For one, I can put cotton gloves under them so the heat isn't an issue and two, because they are easy to take off and on
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
Bentley
Babbling Farker

When I contact hepitatius B I will be more concerned about using them all the time!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

I will use a box about every two comps my self more if I have helpers there with me.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
StLouQue

What a relief to read that gloves are being used. Thank you to those who cook with a conscience. As a newbie CBJ, I have become increasingly queasy lately thinking about the prospect of sampling food prepared by strangers with questionable, or at least uncertain sanitary practices. To that I'll add my concern about the origin of some competitors' rigs. While some individuals may not be concerned for their own health and safety, let alone that of their family, friends and relatives, I'd rather not eat food prepared in drums that formerly stored chemicals or petroleum products. The thought is enough to make me reconsider ever judging.

Excuse me while I go vomit.

Last edited by StLouQue; 11-12-2007 at 04:37 PM..