MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Don't give up yet.

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

I'll sometimes go to the local Mercado or Mexican grocery store and buy their pre seasoned skirts from the butcher. Good stuff and they all have their own recipe. Don't throw the towel in on skirt steak, they are a consistent go-to!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
Big dawg
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
I think skirt steak properly cut, marinated cooked and sliced is o e of the list flavorful meats. I also like it best cooked on the smokey joe.
I always cook it the same, everyone that has ever eaten my fajitas say they are to die for. Everyone that has used my recipe says they are to die for.
2 large skirt steaks
Splash of worchester
Splash of olive oil
Splash of beer (modelo especial)
1 Tbs of ancho powder (mild bills)
1/4 c Pap and Elmer's fajita ultimo (Texas pellets)
1 tbs coarse black pepper
1 gallon freezer bag
Add all ingredients, shake shake shake, shake shake shake
Squeeze all the air out, marinate for 2-4 hrs. The fajita ultimo has parpain which is a tenderizer. Grill over super red hot coals, use the lid to extinguish any flare ups on smokey joe. Dayum Gina! They are phenomenal. Better luck next time man!
J$ fajitas on the smokey joe - YouTube
Dude those fajitas look good I also use beer to marinate fajitas. Excellent choice of beer by the way goes good in a michelada for a hangover.:)

Jrow
Big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
Mauricio
Got Wood.

Jesus Christ Landarc, that made my mouth watering in seconds...
The proper technique to remove that silver skin in pulling it by hand in the same direction of the grain otherwise it will tear very easily.
Mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #20
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Skirt steaks are very popular in my region and they're always properly cut. One of the tastier cuts of meat around here.
In CA I think we are spoiled, mine always comes cut to perfection and amazing taste.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bo, Try them cooked to more of a well to medium well. Not sure what you bought but never had the issue with SS as you had. They are Great for Taco's and Burrito's with some Cilantro, Pico De Gallo and Mexican cheese.

The SS you are talking about, something is amiss, these have been a staple of the Mexican food for ages. Try them again, cooking then correctly. Not meaning you do not know how to cook but I think in this scenario that may be the reason..

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #22
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
OK, if I get another good deal on it I may try it again. This one was CAB. I was surprised by all of the SS on it. If not for that, it would have been pretty good.

I will have to look into a marinade for it.
Were these unpeeled skirt steaks by any chance? By the pricing you mentioned, I am thinking they may have been. The outside skirt has a thick membrane that must be removed, and it is a pain in the @ss. It is usually already butchered when you buy in the grocery store, but at that price maybe it wasn't.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Did it look like this?

If so, that is not silver skin, that is the membrane from the "outside skirt steak." A lot of times that is what your butcher gets, which he usually peels off for retail sales. If you don't buy the peeled inside skirts at restaurant depot, this is what you get from them. You HAVE TO remove this peel fully as it will not break down during the cooking process.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah Dont give Up !!!
Skirt Steak rocks When Cooked over a real hot Fire .. Here In AZ We use alot of Mesquite and Costco here ALWAYS has good skirt steak . We also Use " Flap Meat " alot... similar to skirt steak but doesnt seem to marinade for as long it seems to kinda fall apart when marinated too long.
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote