MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

I also notice that my smoke gets cleaner after I close the air down and let it level than when its ramping up, just a thought. While your learing just keeping trying and you'll work it out. I got better as I went and my pit got more predictable as it got a good seasoning. Best of luck!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
I'm just thinking aloud here, but is two one inch exhausts = the area of eight 1/2 inch holes? I'm thinking you may need more exhaust area !

But in the 5 UDS I have built the temp stays +-8 of the seting once the meat is on. Until ash buildup or outside temp or wind changes a lot

Not that I think your exhaust is causing temp issues, I'm more concerned that it may not be as clean or blue as it should be.
The surface area of 8, 1/2" holes is the same as 2, 1" holes (1.57) or(1.570796326794897) if you want to get specific.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
The surface area of 8, 1/2" holes is the same as 2, 1" holes (1.57) or(1.570796326794897) if you want to get specific.
That being said it looks like the exhaust is fine !

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't forget about the fuel you're using. Different brands different heat etc. If you're looking for stability use only one high quality lump or briquets and stay with it. Also the ash buildup effects the heat. Another reason to use lump. It's your call.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #20
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I never have an issue with temps from 250 -290 it will rise up on its own at 300+.

I am not a big fan of perfect temp = good que though. I cook on all types of cookers, some with good controls and some without.

Usually the results are close to the same.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #21
Missed-Em
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Interesting thread - my UDS swings a lot, seems I'm adjusting once or twice an hour. Don't trust set and forget w/ mine. No problem, more excuss to not get the honey do's done as well as more time for the brown amber. May try the defusser idea tho---
Missed-Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #22
junyo
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Don't forget about the fuel you're using. Different brands different heat etc. If you're looking for stability use only one high quality lump or briquets and stay with it. Also the ash buildup effects the heat. Another reason to use lump. It's your call.
Yeah, I bought 8 bags of regular Kingsford briquets just to have a consistent fuel while I learn. I normally grill with lump, but I don't need the extra heat since I'm not searing, and I read lump has more variation in temp while burning. Once I know what I'm doing I'll start playing with different types of charcoal.
junyo is offline   Reply With Quote