• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri Tip disaster....sort of....plan B...story

humdogj

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I don't even have a tri-tip...and here's why. I was coming home from work today knowing that I had to hit the meat market to get my tips. I figured I'll get them home, get one defrosted in the fridge for tomorrow night, season it up tomorrow night and then she's ready for smokin' on Sunday. Well, while I'm at work, a freakin' damaging wind/rain storm comes along (my sympathies go out to Irene people).

So I'm strolling over to the meat market in my car and all the stop lights are out. So, I have to stop at every one and wait (it's the law) while other people talk on their cellphones and blow right through (freakin' idiots). I finally make it over to the meat market while observing a number of hundred-year-old trees reduced to nothingness. I turn the corner at the meat market and park on the street. Grab my boy and we walk up the steps knowing dang well they gots some good tri-tip waiting for me.

Then, there it was. The sign that read, "Sorry, we are closed!" Farking-A!!!!! Do they not understand that I am smoking a tri-tip for my fantasy football draft on Sunday???? I believe they were on the side of town with all their power out all day. So, they had to close. Oh well :doh: Now, I guess it's time for plan B.

I was planning on ribs, ABT's, and Tri-tip for the draft. I guess I'll go to the meat market in the morning and hope everything is all good. But, the tips will be frozen and I have to get them defrosted before I get all blitzed up at an old high school buddy's wedding tomorrow night.:wacko: To make matters worse, I just got my sampler pack from Oakridge BBQ today and I was going to use the Santa Maria seasoning for the first time to impress!!! Farking-A!!!!!!

Here's the DILEMMA. If I defrost the tip in a freezer bag while sitting in water for the morning, and then stick it in the fridge while I'm gone, will it have enough time to get seasoned up on Sunday if I only have the rub on for about 2 hours?

Also wanted to do a reverse-sear, but not quite sure what that all entails.

Sometimes we have to just punt my friends....:pray: Advice?

UPDATE: Wife just came in and the power is still out around town...not good!

Well, on the bright side, if the power is still out, the tips won't be frozen in the morning :tsk:

Out of curiosity though, why does the place sell them frozen? I think you are fine with only having rub on for 2 hours.

I don't know why they sell them frozen. I think when they get them in, they put them on sale, and then freeze what they don't sell. I'm in Wisconsin and people really don't know what tri tip is, so it's not a big seller.

Power is still out to some 30,000+ residents.

I don't rub mine down till I pull em out an hour before cooking. I get great seasoning after an hour and so you should be good to go with 2 hours.

I have to comment on the traffic lights being out. In every state I've ever been in, the law is pretty specific. Power out, it's a 4 way stop sign. 95% of people don't understand this.

Then again, 95% of the drivers don't know the rules on how to negotiate a 4 way stop sign. Driver training is severely lacking all over the place.

On the Tri tip, I'd just pull it out of the fridge, or out of the shopping bag, rinse, rub with spices of choice, and toss on the cooker. It's easy peasy. Just be sure to not overcook it, pull @ 135 max and tent loosely under foil for 20 min. It's not a brisket, and is much better cooked to medium rare.

Shake it off, bro.

picture.php

Just do what El Ropo says and it will be fine.

I also season Tritip an hour before cooking. Plus, its a short cook, so even if it takes it's sweet time defrosting you'll have time to season and cook it on Sunday.

What if it's still partly frozen on Sunday after sitting in the fridge (which I don't think it will be but who knows?) Back into the water while in a freezer bag? Start the cook?

El Ropo...couldn't agree more about the lights! Farking drivers! I was amazed at how many people were blowing the traffic lights. People were getting pissed about who should go at a 4 way. Stop...breathe...we'll all get where we're going in due time.

After reading comments and reading up some more, I'm thinking pulling around 125-130, letting rest under foil for about 20 minutes, or until it peaks, then reverse-searing it and letting it rest for another 15-20. How's that sound? When reverse-searing, do you just do the top and bottom, or do you try to get most of the tri-tip, including the sides?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Personally, if I were to reverse sear a tri-tip, I wouldn't cook it past 125 internal before the sear. Just make sure you thaw it all the way before starting to cook it.

Yeah, if it's still partially frozen, it could create issues =0

So I should pull it at 125 and then let it rest for 20? Or, pull it at 125 and sear it right away, foil, and then let rest until carving?

Well, on the bright side, if the power is still out, the tips won't be frozen in the morning :tsk:

Actually, freezers (especially full ones or well insulated commercial walk-ins) will keep food frozen for days w/o electricity so long as the door is not opened.

The fastest way to thaw is to leave in the cryo and put the meat in a pot that has a slow/steady stream of water flowing in it. Just sit it in the sink and let it overflow. The convection of the running water will thaw your product relatively fast. Other than thawing in the refrigerator, this is the safest way of doing it.

Thanks cook. One last question and I hope I don't get beat down for this, but would it be sacrilegious to sear on my gas grill if I'm runn short on time?

Thanks cook. One last question and I hope I don't get beat down for this, but would it be sacrilegious to sear on my gas grill if I'm runn short on time?

Heck no, go for it!

I sear my tri tips first for 4 minutes per side, then indirect cook. This way you won't overcook them when searing at the end. Just pull them off at the right temperature.

Reverse sear is a waste of time and effort, it doesn't bring any more flavor to the plate IMO.....It just looks prettier before you slice it.

What about trying to cook it frozen? I know, I know ...how dare I suggest such a thing, but seriously, I've cooked frozen steaks in a pinch and they have turned out decent. Why not go semi low and slow to get it all the way defrosted and then ratchet up the temp? I'm not suggesting this is ideal, by any stretch, but in this scenario, maybe it would be the best bet.

Back