Ok Joe Longhorn smoker HD

R

Rick T

HD has the OK joe Longhorn.
$499 20" or 24" pit X40".

Do you have one?
What have you done to tighten it up and improve it?

Not made real well but fairly rugged. Certainly twice as good as I have.

I was looking and thought that the opening from fire pit to cooking chamber is too large and would heat up the closest end too much.

I am thinking of mods:

I was thinking of an adjustable down draft damper.
Welding a rim around the fire door.

Closing off the ash pit for wood use.

Thanks,
Rick

Fixing the leaks around the ash pan and around the firebox door will improve the pit greatly. Definitely the best improvement you can make. Ya have to be able to control temps 1st!

Mine had some visible smoke leaks around the smoke chamber door. Some careful work with a big hammer will fix most of these. Look to see if the angle iron inside the chamber is touching the door or if you see soot on the angle. Hammer the touching area in a bit and out a bit where you see the soot. Takes a while but you don't see any escaping smoke from mine once it's up to temp.

Then, either add a deflector baffle between the firebox and the smoke chamber or order a heat diffuser from Horizon Smokers. They make a version for their pits and also one for the NB OK Joe Longhorns. Make sure you tell them it's for the NB OK Joe.

Some folks also add an elbow and some flashing to lower the smoke level down to the grate. Just be sure to use aluminum or plain steel.

ETA: Forgot to mention. Turn the firebox grate around to where it sits highest in the firebox for plenty of airflow.

They're not the pits they once were, and it's a shame, but that's what you get when you sell out to Charbroil and they get made in China. If you can find an Academy Sports nearby, I'd check out the Old Country 20" offset they sell for $500. I believe it's heavier...3/16ths gauge, but they're made in Mexico. Still, a better pit for the money.

Rick, NB is New Braunfels. They bought the OK Joes name, and then were in turn bought by Charbroil. A real shame because as Dave said the quality went way down.

Dave, by Ricks sig he's in Maine. No Academy sports anywhere near there AFAIK.

Dave, by Ricks sig he's in Maine. No Academy sports anywhere near there AFAIK.

Yeah, I was a little late gettin' my cofee this morning. I envy the deals I hear about out in Texas for offsets, but I guess I shouldn't complain.

Thanks Dave and Joe:

I was a little confused when I kept reading that these were 1/4" and 3/16" thick steel. This is only 1/8". And the quality is not very good at all.

thanks alot guys.
Rick

Yeah, I still kick myself for not picking up a 1/4" thick 20" OJ off craigslist last year. I didn't pursue it since a buddy acted like he was gonna get it, then he didn't, and then it was gone. :sick:

I was a little confused when I kept reading that these were 1/4" and 3/16" thick steel. This is only 1/8". And the quality is not very good at all.

OK Joe's version was 1/4". Mine is an older Charbroil NB Ok Joe and is 3/16" without the removable ash pan. Then they added the ash pan and have now cut the metal thickness down to 1/8". They raised the price between my version and adding the ash pan and then kept the price the same while cutting down on the thickness of the metal and cutting quality some more.:tsk:

Back