MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Smoked Andouille w/ PrOn -- First Time

This is my first time making Smoked Andouille, let alone first time stuffing a sausage and cooking it.

I am trying to remember what got me interested in buying my LEM #5 grinder last week and then getting into Charcuterie, making sausages and bacon etc..

Oh yeah I remember, I recently bought a case of IBP pork butt at Sam's club for $1.39 / lb (split the case with my brother). It was such a good deal, I wanted to make the most of it! I like to have ground pork on hand so that's why I wanted a good meat grinder. (Poor ground pork around here goes for over $2 per pound, and it's watered down!)

(Then I decided to make pork butt bacon with the butts as well, and that's another story in another recent thread of mine--they turned out extremely well [so much so I'll never buy storebought bacon again].)

Then I made delicious fresh sausages with that freshly ground $1.39/lb pork butt: Chorizo, Hot Italian Sausage and Breakfast Sausage. (I'll share my recipes if you want.)

Then I saved the more difficult challenge for today: stuffing sausage into natural hog casings; (I had never done this before). I bought some hog casings yesterday from my local Asain market at $20 for 2 pounds (pretty good deal).

So I decided to make Smoked Andouille from page 156 of Charcuterie (2005 edition). [I was going to make Hunter's Sausage but didn't have the powdered milk.]

I gathered the dry ingredients and ground them up.

Then I diced up some onion and garlic.

I coarsely ground up the pork butt then incorporated all the above ingredients. I kneaded the meat for a while getting everything mixed in well. I then let it sit in the fridge for a while to meld. Took it back out and ground it finely as the book instructed. Then I mixed it up with a spoon in a bowl to make it all sticky.

Then with the help of my boyfriend, we stuffed the sausages into the hog casings -- about 5 feet of casings for 2.5 lb of meat. We stuffed it using the LEM #5 and it was quite easy with the both of us. I pushed the meat into the mouth and down, and operated the power switch. My boyfriend handled the hog casings very well. So it looks like we don't need to buy the LEM 5 lb sausage stuffer--we'll just stuff the sausages together each time (it's quite fun really!)

Then I twisted them making them into individual links after I watched how to do so on a youtube video--pretty easy.

(Next time I'll trim off the lymph nodes--stringy white stuff--from the casings after I stuff them; these casings are from a Vietnamese Asian market, so I don't know if other brands of casing come clean of lymph nodes or not--but it is easy to trim regardless.)

I let them air dry in the fridge for a while, then blew some air on them with a fan, then put them back in the fridge to get cold again.

Here is how they looked after drying and forming a pellicle :

I started up the Mini WSM and got it regulated at 200F after about an hour--then added a few apple wood chunks.

Then I threw the sausages on and started smoking them. After about an hour this is how they looked in the Mini :

After they reached an internal temp of 150F, I pulled them and put them on a plate, and thew them in the freezer to rapidly cool them down.

After chilling in the fridge for a little while I pulled them out and here is the end result (the smelled and tasted heavenly by the way) :

A close up :

Comment: the book said to finely grind up the meat then mix it with a paddle, so it made for the very smooth texture you see in the photo above. I want to try a more grainy Andouille next time, but this is still really delicious.

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks great, very nice emulsion

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
mikemci
Babbling Farker

That looks really good. On the casings having stuff to cut off.....What I do is invert the casings before stuffing, that puts all that stuff on the inside of the sausage and they will be smooth on the outside. You do this in the sink under running water. You may be able to find a video of this on the net, it is hard to describe the process.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Those look wonderful!

Just another motivation for us to make our own sausage...
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
Phubar

Looks great!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 02:34 AM   #6
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I think next time I am gonna add more cayenne than the book calls for along with a nice portion of chipotle powder. And a tad more salt. I'd also like to get some tanginess in there if I can somehow. But I suppose the sausage will get its tanginess and heat from the dish it is cooked in, e.g. jambalaya.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #7
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Looks damn good.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Those look great! Nicely done!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Pretty dang good for your first try. Well done! Bet ya can't wait to do some more.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
peeps

That sausage looks great!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
Pretty dang good for your first try. Well done! Bet ya can't wait to do some more.
Exactly :) Very very excited :)

Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #12
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Good looking sausage.

You could try a 50/50 mix of coarsely ground and diced pork for a more traditional Cajun andouille.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

looks awesome to me!!!!!!!!

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-JUN View Post
Good looking sausage.

You could try a 50/50 mix of coarsely ground and diced pork for a more traditional Cajun andouille.
Will do. For some reason the book had me do it this way -- I agree with you. :)

Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

THAT looks AWESOME!!!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote