Need some help..Ways to chunk split wood??

If using a miter saw, I'd recommend eye protection and wearing a glove on the hand holding the piece of wood. Also move your blade slowly through the piece, I had a couple kick back on me and destroy my old saw.

Dang! Such great advice I just bought one of those Black and Deckers for myself. :mrgreen:

How do I thank myself on here?

Last edited:
So after the big saturday of splitting wood, I've enough hickory to last me a good long while. The only problem I have now is how to get it cut down to chunks that are usable in my cookers. I've pondered a few of the possibilities and haven't come up with a good way to do it. Power tools WILL be involved though! :clap2:

Are there any brethren out there that have done this before? How did you get your splits cut down into chunks? Let it be know, I do not currently have access to a chain saw nor would I want to try to cut hundreds of 3" pieces with one..

I do have, however, a small (12" I think) miter saw, jigsaw(not that it would do much good), and hand grinder with wood cutting blade. Anybody think I could make due with just those?

I would watch this beginning shows miter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUy1k86GdA"]BBQ with Franklin: The Wood - YouTube[/ame]

I cut my wood (rounds) to size and then split with a maul. If you want certain size chunks (2"-5" or larger) cut your rounds to that size and split into chunks. I get my chunks from what I call disk cuts. You don't drop a tree at the very bottom or right next to the ground. Cut it down at a safe working distance lets say 2-3 ft above the ground and cut your disks off that or large limbs or where you get to a lot of knots in you logs.

Be careful and wear safety equipment.

My right foot and a sawzall up on the first step of the deck. same principle as the miter, plus you get a little rush of excitement

Here is a pic of the splits I'm gonna chunk.

I think I'm set on using the miter saw but will move it outside instead since my shop vac decided to burn out its motor a month ago. I think Saturday is the target project day since it will be little bit warmer and hopefully climb into the 50s. Right now its just too farking cold in the evening to be out in the wind and occasional sleet.

Again, here is the pic of the wood splits. I picked out rounds with what I thought was for sure hickory bark on them and split them myself, so I'm 95% sure this is all hickory. I'll leave the other 5% up to you guys. Please, let me know if you think it is something different and what it otherwise might be. Thanks fellas! :biggrin1:

Attachments

• IMG_20130130_152302_380.jpg
    IMG_20130130_152302_380.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 67
When your cutting, make 3" disks and let them dry, as you need them, a hatchet splits them nicely

I have broken the fence on my miter saw cutting chunks. be careful if it's a nice one. Also gets a little scary holding a split with a spinning blade so close to your hand.

Thinking of making a fence out of angle iron and adding a hinged foot long handle to hold the splits in place and add a little extra distance between my hand and the blade.

miter saw, like everyone mentioned. be careful though, sometimes the uneven splits can be a bit testy getting through.

There are several miter saw warnings in this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132523

Thanks! Though a lot of the guys using a miter in that thread were cutting full rounds. Talk about unsafe. There is no safe way to clamp down rounds.

I will be cutting wood that is already split, clamped down, and going slow with the cut. Another post in the older thread said he splits on a miter and it worked out well.
I'd use a band saw IF I had one. Or I'd use a sawzall if I had one of them. Unfortunately the most I have are the miter, circular, jig, and a variety of hand saws and hand tools.

I'll be sure to take some pics on saturday to document the process.

This is an aside. You mentioned that your Shop Vac motor burned out. I have a couple Shop Vacs. The biggest, something like 30 gal. Here's my point, 2 or 3 years after buying the bigget vac the motor went bad. I contacted Shop Vac and they replaced it. Then a few years later the new one went bad(one of these was a burnt out switch). If memory is right both were free. If it's not a Shop Vac brand I'd still contact customer service. Customer Service with Shop Vac for me has been fantastic.

Back