• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Re-Learned A Valueable Lesson

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
We drove to the STL Bash on June 29th, Attended the Cool Bash on Saturday the 30th. Stayed that Sunday with Family including Grandbaby, Drove back the same 10 hours that Monday. Off July 3rd Tuesday and prepped ribs for a cook on the 4th. I did my usual gig of trimming full spares into STL style that night. Rubbed and in the fridge for the next morning's smoke.

All the trimmings went into the trash bag. When the wife took out the trash it was that Tuesday night. All went well and a Great day but hot. Stayed hot the next several days until trash pickup day on Tuesday the 10th. MAN! That meat had turned in the trash!

I learned along time ago cleaning fish to put the heads and guts in a trash bag then into the freezer and put them in the can the morning of trash pickup. Just forgot this time with pork.

To make a long story longer, once they picked up the trash the smell and some liquid remained that (while not as bad as rotting fish) was Bad.

So after the wife got done disinfecting the trash can it's better now.

Lesson relearned. Freeze the scrapes until the morning of pickup! Helps the Sanitation folks too. :thumb:

We drove to the STL Bash on June 29th, Attended the Cool Bash on Saturday the 30th. Stayed that Sunday with Family including Grandbaby, Drove back the same 10 hours that Monday. Off July 3rd Tuesday and prepped ribs for a cook on the 4th. I did my usual gig of trimming full spares into STL style that night. Rubbed and in the fridge for the next morning's smoke.

All the trimmings went into the trash bag. When the wife took out the trash it was that Tuesday night. All went well and a Great day but hot. Stayed hot the next several days until trash pickup day on Tuesday the 10th. MAN! That meat had turned in the trash!

I learned along time ago cleaning fish to put the heads and guts in a trash bag then into the freezer and put them in the can the morning of trash pickup. Just forgot this time with pork.

To make a long story longer, once they picked up the trash the smell and some liquid remained that (while not as bad as rotting fish) was Bad.

Lesson relearned. Freeze the scrapes until the morning of pickup! Helps the Sanitation folks too. :thumb:

That's why garbage men get paid the big bucks. :thumb:

The problem I have is that my freezers are all full of meat and I have no place to temporarily store trimmings. Especially when it's like 30+ pounds of it. There's been a couple times that I came out to my trash cans and maggots were spilling out under the lid. Blegh. I felt bad about it.

Years ago i had a talk with my trash guy. He asked that i bag my ashes because it really hurts when it gets in their eyes. I felt like a complete ass. Ever since then i put a lot of thought into how i bag my trash. Nothing goes in the can that isn't in a bag, trimmings get double bagged, nothing leaking, etc. They do a job most people don't want to do. A little respect doesn't hurt. My trash can never really smells bad.

Rant over...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t wife Foo have had said wife cleaning earlier to start?
Signed
Official Wife fooer

Oh yeah. Nothing beats the smell of rotting meat in the trash can in the garage after a week in 100 degree heat.

I seal them in ziploc bags before I toss them. Seems to help and doesn’t take up freezer space.

Years ago i had a talk with my trash guy. He asked that i bag my ashes because it really hurts when it gets in their eyes. I felt like a complete ass. Ever since then i put a lot of thought into how i bag my trash. Nothing goes in the can that isn't in a bag, trimmings get double bagged, nothing leaking, etc. They do a job most people don't want to do. A little respect doesn't hurt. My trash can never really smells bad.

Rant over...

Because people around here can't be bothered we're going to go through a trial program. Have to sort recyclables differently as some people were putting pizza boxes in the recycle bins (with pizza still in the box) bottles of whatever still with whatever in them etc...

My trash can is not odorless - but does not reek. I freeze or fridge my trimmings or meat containers- after a rinse.

Recently did a good deed- rescued my neighbor's bin from the curb. Was going to set it by their garage. The smell like to have dropped me. I completed the task.

Won't be doing that again.

I bag and freeze trimmings and guts and put them out when the trash can goes to the curb in the morning. If I leave them overnight or longer in the can, the raccoons have a feast and make a mess.

If my activities include discarding any food or meat scraps that will be in the trash for longer than a day, I just take the garbage bag with me to work and put it in our dumpster. It makes the wife happy because I know she isn't scrubbing any garbage cans.

Rant over...

My trashman didn't ask me, but one day while I was home I saw him empty the can and saw how much of the ash cloud got on them. I felt bad and bagged since

I don't have a big issue with food scraps. The dog poop and baby human poop vastly overwhelms any odor that might be coming from old food. All poop is bagged obviously, but man...
We have one of the diaper genie things in her room. Does a great job keeping the smell contained, but once a week when that thing gets emptied... Wife or I usually grabs it and RUNS through the house and out to the trash. Still leaves a stench for 10 min along the path you take through the house. Heaven forbid you try and grab the kitchen trash or stall AT ALL on the way out. Made that mistake once....ONCE

Bet it was powerful Mike! lol
Luckily, I have critters that will dispose of scraps.

Back