One other question... Best charcoal? I've been getting pretty good results with Kingsford Competition, but I'm always interested in recommendations. I've seen Stubbs mentioned a couple of times as I've been scrolling through, thinking of trying that next...

Doing ribs on my PBC, and this answered almost all my questions, thanks Bob C Cue & TailgateJoe! One last question, are you hanging them the entire time, or wrapping? I've gotten good results in the past on my Weber sans foil/paper, and really just want to hang them and let 'em do their thing... TIA

I just let them hang, haven't tried to make it more complicated than that and they come out great. I'm sure at some point I'll try to wrap, but just out of curiosity :)

One other question... Best charcoal? I've been getting pretty good results with Kingsford Competition, but I'm always interested in recommendations. I've seen Stubbs mentioned a couple of times as I've been scrolling through, thinking of trying that next...

I've been trying a few different ones beyond the standard blue, and without any wood added. I find Royal Oak lump adds no real flavor, Stubbs adds some (mild) and Kingsford has more. I couldn't tell you which I like better...they all taste good, just different. It's more like a level of "thickness" of flavor than an actual taste to me. They all seem to act about the same temp-wise in the PBC.

I do it both ways, but if I’m going to hang, I don’t let it ride in the typical high 200 range because the color gets darker than I want, esp. at the bottom. When I’m going naked the whole time I’ll start it and put the lid on pretty quickly so it runs a little cooler. Takes longer but gives me the color I’m looking for.

I’ve been using a lot of lump lately. It does burn hotter but maybe a little better flavor on the long cooks (not wings/brats/etc.). I used to use Kingsford comp and regular KBB a lot, but I’m using other fuel from sales. Got about 400# of Weber briqs at the end of last year and have about 400# of lump right now. I think my game improved with the changes, but you have to make a slight adjustment in temp control when you use lots of lump. I don’t think the change in flavor is as big a deal as some make it out to be, but discernible on butts and brisket and ribs.

Do you go as far as closing the vent more when you switch to the lumps?

Just putting the lid on more quickly after the igniting procedure will usually do it. But I might put a welding glove over a part of the intake if it needs to come a little farther down. I never actually mess with where I’ve got the intake set now.

I've been looking for some good jambalaya and gumbo recipes (found some good ones by using search feature) but wanted to see if anyone has done these in their PBC. If so, any tips for cooking either?

I'm hoping to cook up either for some football Saturdays/Sundays this fall but wasn't sure if it could be done on the PBC or if I would need to cook it another way.

I've been looking for some good jambalaya and gumbo recipes (found some good ones by using search feature) but wanted to see if anyone has done these in their PBC. If so, any tips for cooking either?

I'm hoping to cook up either for some football Saturdays/Sundays this fall but wasn't sure if it could be done on the PBC or if I would need to cook it another way.

I've never cooked anything like that in the PBC although I have made a pecan pie in it. I needed to have a fairly consistent 350* temp for the pie so I cracked the lid and adjusted to reach that temp. I'm sure you could do the same......
If you are making a pretty big amount you may wanna stick to the stovetop as I'm not sure how much weight the PBC grate will hold. However, I think if you smoked a chicken and used that in the jambalaya it would be awesome. Actually if you smoked any meat used in jambalaya or gumbo it would be great. Sausage, Chicken, Ham, etc.

That sounds good! :thumb: I may have to give it a try myself this fall!

I’ve been using a lot of lump lately. It does burn hotter but maybe a little better flavor on the long cooks (not wings/brats/etc.). I used to use Kingsford comp and regular KBB a lot, but I’m using other fuel from sales. Got about 400# of Weber briqs at the end of last year and have about 400# of lump right now. I think my game improved with the changes, but you have to make a slight adjustment in temp control when you use lots of lump. I don’t think the change in flavor is as big a deal as some make it out to be, but discernible on butts and brisket and ribs.

I think I'm gonna try mixing lump and briqs like 16Adams does.

I've always preferred Stubbs. But lately I've used KBB a few times. Its hard to let the 2 bags for $10 deal go buy without buying. But as I mentioned above, I think I'm gonna practice with mixing 1/3-1/2 or the coal basket with lump and see how that turns out.

I've never cooked anything like that in the PBC although I have made a pecan pie in it. I needed to have a fairly consistent 350* temp for the pie so I cracked the lid and adjusted to reach that temp. I'm sure you could do the same......
If you are making a pretty big amount you may wanna stick to the stovetop as I'm not sure how much weight the PBC grate will hold. However, I think if you smoked a chicken and used that in the jambalaya it would be awesome. Actually if you smoked any meat used in jambalaya or gumbo it would be great. Sausage, Chicken, Ham, etc.

That sounds good! :thumb: I may have to give it a try myself this fall!

Thanks for the idea. Sounds like smoking the chicken and sausage in the PBC might be the way to go!

...like 16Adams use to do...he downsized his collection and the PBC didn’t make the cut :shocked:
I’m mixing now, about 50/50 lump weber briqs on lot of cooks, and sometimes pretty much all lump

WHAT! :shock::shock::shock:

He will be back! Ask Sako! Sako tried that for a hot minute and next thing you know a PBJ showed up at his place....lol :becky::becky:

I've always preferred Stubbs. But lately I've used KBB a few times. Its hard to let the 2 bags for $10 deal go buy without buying. But as I mentioned above, I think I'm gonna practice with mixing 1/3-1/2 or the coal basket with lump and see how that turns out.

I have the same problem walking past the 2/$10 KBB deals. Just. Too. Hard. To. Pass. Up. So far I like Stubbs the best, gives some but not too much charcoal flavor. Lump seems to be the most fun to me with the crackling, if that's a thing :)

I'm just now to the stage of playing with wood and charcoal profiles (had lots of fun with just the "food" part first). Blending sounds interesting too, have to throw that into the mix as well.

I'm 596 pages late to this PBC party, but thanks for letting me join in.

Last edited:
Quick question, does have any issues with Royal Oak charcoal? I am issues holding temp consistently. Never had any issues with KBB or Weber charcoal.

Ribs and pulled pork on the menu tonight!
44ca47837843c9f3d70c0e824dfd4314.jpg
208592e641e1744ce03bbd23ea8c320b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back