Pellet smokers 2018 questions

When I was shopping for a pellet pooper, I kept in mind this.... when you buy cheap chit, you get cheap chit. I think there's a few outsourced brands that hold up and do well, but I have to say 'buy once, cry once'. A smoker is a big investment... whether that be your involvement in the build or plunkin' down the dosh. Or both. I haven't used my UDS since I fired up my 2 star, and I can't say I'm missing out on the flavor at all. I really don't miss having to babysit a cook that starts when I'm going to bed!

I have a GMG Jim Bowie for 5 years now and completely happy with it. As for the smoke profile ,its absolutely great.HOW MUCH SMOKE DO YOU NEED. When i'm eating BBQ, I don't want to be chewing on a piece of charred wood.Like its been said,if you want more smoke, get an amazing tube

With stickburners we aim for thin blue to invisible smoke to avoid that acrid creosote buildup on the meat. With pellet poopers, it sounds like the opposite is the case.

Does running a pellet smoker at lower temp and/or adding an amazen tube in effect promote a smoldering dirty smoke quality? I know when a stickburner fire hasn't been running cleanly bc the food is acrid and you get that numb tongue. Does the same hold true with pellet smokers using all these "tricks?" Serious question.

I was just Messing with the Fellars saying post Real Pellet cook pics........

Pellets smoldering is different than wood smoldering - density and moisture content and I’m sure a few other reasons.......

With stickburners we aim for thin blue to invisible smoke to avoid that acrid creosote buildup on the meat. With pellet poopers, it sounds like the opposite is the case.

Does running a pellet smoker at lower temp and/or adding an amazen tube in effect promote a smoldering dirty smoke quality? I know when a stickburner fire hasn't been running cleanly bc the food is acrid and you get that numb tongue. Does the same hold true with pellet smokers using all these "tricks?" Serious question.

Once my yoder stabilizes at the correct temperature after initial start there is always thin blue smoke. Whether 225 or 375. Every now and then if left open for to long while flipping or something the recovery will have a tad of smoke coming up to temp (Exact same as stick burner when adding wood)

If not for the lack of smoke ring i would love a pellet smoker. My question is this, If OP's main issue is smoke flavor, why not just add more smoke via other sources. My understanding is that pellet smokers burn clean and give a subtle blue smoke. Like i said, thats exactly what i want, but they don;t produce a smoke ring i get from charcoal. I might eventually buy one just to run charcoal for the first hour and switch to pellets for the subtle smoke flavor.

Lack of a smoke ring on a pooper? I beg to differ.. this is my last brisket on the Rec Tec Mini

Last edited:
If not for the lack of smoke ring i would love a pellet smoker. My question is this, If OP's main issue is smoke flavor, why not just add more smoke via other sources. My understanding is that pellet smokers burn clean and give a subtle blue smoke. Like i said, thats exactly what i want, but they don;t produce a smoke ring i get from charcoal. I might eventually buy one just to run charcoal for the first hour and switch to pellets for the subtle smoke flavor.

Not true that they don't produce a smoke ring. I smoked at 200 for an hour and then went 250 for another 8. I even wrapped it this time which I never do. This is every bit as good a smoke ring as I get with the KJ. This is on a GMG DB with GMG fruitwood pellets. I did not use a tube. I was actually amazed at the constant stream of thin blue that came out of it. I was expecting the smoke to stop but it never did. Thin blue the whole time. I wish I had taken some pics of the thin blue now. Smoke flavor was sufficient. Not overly strong, but it was about perfect for me.

I am not a pellet grill apologist. I bought one because it is convenient and allows me to cook more. This was my second cook, and my only low and slow (ish). So far, I like mine. But I will not be selling the other gear.

Attachments

• IMG_7163.jpg
    IMG_7163.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 155
I have been following some on a Grilla Grill Facebook site and the ones that know what they are doing are getting a really nice smoke ring. And the same showed some pics of pulled pork that had great color from the smoke.

I am most interested in getting a nice dark bark and as much smoke flavor as a pellet grill will give. After all of my research, I am probably going to end up with either a Green Mountain or Traeger just to make sure I can get parts easily. As much as I want a Mak, not going to happen on my first go. Wife doesn't understand the value. LOL

Having a lighter smoke profile is a good thing these days as the wife has problems with heavy smoke flavor,I still get my smoke fix with less effort and more consistent repeatable cooks,I have been trying different pellets and temps in search of the perfect taste for us.My Pit Boss seems to be heavy enuf to hold heat and think I will get many years of service from it and with all the after market parts out there I cant see not being able to fix it if some thing breaks.

I do love my Yoder. I usually use an A-Maze-N tube for additional smoke, and it's great for direct grilling. When I get my stick burner, the Yoder will be used often to finish the cooks after wrapping so I can get some sleep. Think of it as a professional meatsitter! :mrgreen:

Back