Cambro vs Cooler

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Is there any difference in holding brisket and butts in a Cambro, or similar devise, at comps versus stuffing a cooler with newspaper and towels? I am looking for a holding cabinet for comps and fundraisers we do a few of each year. Thanks for any advise.

We've used both, but I personally like the Cambro due to it's versatility. Also like that it stacks and nests, and has a dolley for portability. My $.02

Thanks Ryan, I will check that thread. Only viewed a few posts in that thread the other day and haven't finished it. The reason I asked was we helped at a recent judges class. The meat was waiting for us in a Cambro. The meat was heavily wrapped in plastic wrap, put in pans, and covered with more plastic wrap. Don't know how long they were holding but were soooooo overcooked it was nearly impossible to slice at all. The butt were almost mushy. Too bad for the people taking the class. That is what made me wander about them.
Thanks again and I appreciate any advise.

I have used both, but will only use the Cambro now. I do not wrap anything for the exact reason mentioned above. I just put it in a pan in a warm Cambro and let it wait for serving time.

Thanks Ryan, I will check that thread. Only viewed a few posts in that thread the other day and haven't finished it. The reason I asked was we helped at a recent judges class. The meat was waiting for us in a Cambro. The meat was heavily wrapped in plastic wrap, put in pans, and covered with more plastic wrap. Don't know how long they were holding but were soooooo overcooked it was nearly impossible to slice at all. The butt were almost mushy. Too bad for the people taking the class. That is what made me wander about them.
Thanks again and I appreciate any advise.

That is the only down fall is that if you really pack with a ton of food it does continue cooking... At comps it's only a couple of butts and a couple of briskets so it's less of an issue...

When 'Bulk Cooking' I let the meat rest outside of the cambro for about 15 minutes and then put it in... Never had a problem with over cooking...

I use the Cambro religously. You can't beat it. Here is a link that Munkees Pit BBQ gave me to the new mega Cambro. I gotta have one of these.

http://www.cateringequipmentworld.com/cambro-upcs400.html
I've got two of them that I won't give up for any thing... I take them to comps and use one as a fridge for the meat (Large pan of ice on top) and the meat stays in the 37-40* area... Use the other for holding cooked meats...

That is the only down fall is that if you really pack with a ton of food it does continue cooking... At comps it's only a couple of butts and a couple of briskets so it's less of an issue...

When 'Bulk Cooking' I let the meat rest outside of the cambro for about 15 minutes and then put it in... Never had a problem with over cooking...

I've got two of them that I won't give up for any thing... I take them to comps and use one as a fridge for the meat (Large pan of ice on top) and the meat stays in the 37-40* area... Use the other for holding cooked meats...
so do the new ones hold heat as well as the old ones? i see they have gone gasket-less

I use mine for cold storage as well. After the meat, I store my greens in it. It works awesome!

I fought this back in the winter and decided I can buy a bunch of coolers for the cost of one Cambro. They work great for me.

Stopped by our local restaurant supply and looked at the Cambos today. Nice units. They also had the new now gasket units as well. The size I am interested in is about $270.00. Since I am not into catering but do several fundraisers and a few comps, it would be nice. Anyway, they have a unit made by Rubbermaid that is a canvass skin, real thick insulation wall, and velcro door. The salesperson said they work great and might be more appropriate for my purpose. Anyone have any experience with this product? Thanks everyone.

no experience with the rubbermaid, and the new cambro does have a gasket, its just built into the body, not the door, and i dont think its removeable

Another option is an insulated food carrier made by Carlisle. This product is similar to that made by Cambro but is less expensive. We've been using one for the last two years and have been very satisfied with the results. The unit shown at the link above is only $159 plus shipping which is also at a resonable rate. As I recall, the total cost including shipping was about $175.

no experience with the rubbermaid, and the new cambro does have a gasket, its just built into the body, not the door, and i dont think its removeable

The Combro listed above does NOT have a gasket. But, door seals great, and I have not had a problem with it.

Thanks for the link Vision. That looks more reasonable. Their other prices look good as well.
That would sure organize everything at the comps.

For anyone using a Cambro, Do you just throw the meat in there or shoud I wrap it with towels???

I wrap in foil and into the cambro in a steam tray. no Towels. If it is cold or the cambro is cold, I will boil a pan of water and place in the cambro on a cookie sheet to "Pre Heat" the unit. It will depend on how much stuff is in it, but pre heating it works nice.

Another option is an insulated food carrier made by Carlisle. This product is similar to that made by Cambro but is less expensive. We've been using one for the last two years and have been very satisfied with the results. The unit shown at the link above is only $159 plus shipping which is also at a resonable rate. As I recall, the total cost including shipping was about $175.

Were you able to place 1/2 sheet pans in this unit?

Back