MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #166
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I think women have a competitive edge period, if Cowgirl entered, she would win with 8000 votes. She could enter wool and win. If Tish enters that pulled pork in Make it Funky, she will win, I predict it.
Gee, Bob... I'm tempted to enter it now just to see if you're right. I think it will be a while before I enter a TD, if ever. You guys all make it look easy, but I know it's a lot of work. I was so wiped out after making that pp and fattie, that I've been down for the count, and good for nothing ever since.

I just want to say kudos to those of you who've won once or twice, and yet continue to post amazing entries. Phrasty with one farkin' win? Landarc with two? How the heck is that possible?? But the numbers don't lie. It's no exaggeration to say I'm in awe.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #167
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Gee, Bob... I'm tempted to enter it now just to see if you're right. I think it will be a while before I enter a TD, if ever. You guys all make it look easy, but I know it's a lot of work. I was so wiped out after making that pp and fattie, that I've been down for the count, and good for nothing ever since.

I just want to say kudos to those of you who've won once or twice, and yet continue to post amazing entries. Phrasty with one farkin' win? Landarc with two? How the heck is that possible?? But the numbers don't lie. It's no exaggeration to say I'm in awe.
I know, right? And then to think that I have two wins...

How the fark did THAT happen?

But this isn't all about me.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #168
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Well boys, thank you for the quick TD history lesson. I can honestly say I don't think you need to be a professional photographer like CD, or be super "creative" like gore to win a throwdown. Looking back at the throwdowns i've voted on l, I do take things like difficulty, description and originality into account. It's not just about who's picture looks the best although it does naturally factor in. I think maybe i'm just hypersensitive about it since the pics I entered into my first throwdown looked so awful once they were put up next to all of yours. The fact that 3 people voted for my dish speaks to the fact that not everyone factors in the quality of the photo. Thanks again for all the info. In a strange way this conversation has been encouraging. I can't wait to do another throwdown.

sent from my android device using tapatalk
Jason, over in the Photography Tips thread, I showed how I shoot most of my entries. A point and shoot camera, a table, and a window is all you need.

Here is that post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Okay, here is a super-simple setup that anyone with a half decent camera can use. I used this exact setup to shoot these shots for throwdowns, using my Canon G12 point-and-shoot, in Program mode...

It is this easy. I moved my kitchen table over to my kitchen window. I set the food on the table. I aimed the camera. I took about a dozen pictures at slightly different angles, so I could choose the best on the computer.

No flash. Just natural light from behind the subject. Here is what it looks like when I shoot...

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #169
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Maybe CD should go all out on his next entry, and put his best shot forth.
In the interest of science, of course.

CD
Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #170
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
It was always my dream to win with eggplant, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. Of course someone I know won three times with eggplant, I think just to rub it in.

I'd have to say that Zombies also are a hard sell.
I think bigabyte and I have both won with eggplant and SPAM in one dish -- and mine also had cream of mushroom soup in it, too.

CD
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #171
caseydog

Quote:
There is a link on the poll (small text) that lets you see the results so far before you have voted.

I wish I could disable it, but there is no option to do so.
I only look to make sure I don't vote for someone who is beating me.

CD
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #172
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
I know, right? And then to think that I have two wins...

How the fark did THAT happen?

But this isn't all about me.
Just as a point of reference, your wins came after you got the new camera and your food stopped looking ... so blue. Perhaps this is an argument for better quality photos. Think how many wins you could've had if you'd gotten that $90 camera a couple years back.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #173
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

CD,
Thanks for the heads up on the photography thread. I have seen your post there before and I have tried that with good results, although not on any of my TD entries as of yet. The reason being is for some reason it seems as though it's always dark outside at the time I need to take these pics. So, now I've been trying to work on using the manual settings on my point and shoot to get some decent pics with interior lighting. I think once the voting poll for the cook it like a brisket TD comes out I will be a lot more satisfied with my photo. Before now all I did was "point and shoot." I'll head back over to the thread and see if I can wrangle any more useful info. Google may be my friend here since I don't know much about what the manual setting actually are, I just change them around until it looks better.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #174
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Google may be my friend here since I don't know much about what the manual setting actually are, I just change them around until it looks better.
I would be very interested to hear what you discover. I have the same issues on interior pictures at night...
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #175
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Just as a point of reference, your wins came after you got the new camera and your food stopped looking ... so blue. Perhaps this is an argument for better quality photos. Think how many wins you could've had if you'd gotten that $90 camera a couple years back.
You know what, I think you might be right, it's all about the money and using the best equipment! I never would have thought I would spend that much money for a picture-taker thingie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
In the interest of science, of course.

CD
Actually, especially considering the pics you have cranked out with your point and shoot (as evidenced in that photo help thread), and the fact that you don't bring your best "photo game", I personally am very interested to see what can come out. But then again, I'm a TD Ho.

Give it to me BABY!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #176
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
I would be very interested to hear what you discover. I have the same issues on interior pictures at night...
I wouldn't mess with manual, unless you are wanting to "bracket your exposures." (Google)

In winter months, when it is often dark when I finish my cooks, I emulate my window set-up with artificial lighting.

Where the window would be, hang a cheap white sheet and shine a light through it.

I'll see if I can rig something up and post in in Photography Tips.

CD
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #177
landarc

I shoot a lot at night, white balance for light source is key. I do shootbon auto usually. Of course, I am usibg a Canon 40D with a 50mm f1.8 lens, often called a 'food bloggers lens'

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #178
Al Czervik

Quote:
I shoot a lot at night, white balance for light source is key. I do shootbon auto usually. Of course, I am usibg a Canon 40D with a 50mm f1.8 lens, often called a 'food bloggers lens'
I can't find the food blogger lens button on my Polaroid...
(")_(")
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #179
landarc

Are you an author of a widely respected world famous food blog?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #180
Al Czervik

Quote:
Are you an author of a widely respected world famous food blog?
No... Do you know one I could talk to?
(")_(")

Tags
Farkin' Idiots, Gator Country, Got a Black Magic Gator, Jumped the Alligator Parts, N8 still has nice balls, Not A Meatball Throwdown, Special Farkin Rules, Street Alligators are Tough, Street Draggin Gator Balls