MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
rehab6
Got Wood.

Default Wings - first run with smoker and types of wings

Well, after 3 years plus and countless pitfalls along the way, my smoker is finally going to be functional again tomorrow afternoon. I have decided... i think, to start by making several types of wings - probably 3 types; a hot / cajun, a hot / cajun devil heat, and a sweet bbq flavor. i have not smoked wings before, but from what i have read, most marinate overnight, and then put on. also, from what i have read, on the frill allows the fat to roll off them and give better flavor than if in a solid pan. i am going to have a water pan underneath, and i have a feeling most of the fat will drip into that, so cleanup won't be too bad.

my thoughts / ponderings are:
1. for the mases (well, friends crazy enough to try them) are those 3 the best bet for people to try, or should i go with another flavor as well (the uber hot are probably going to be for me, most others can not handle my level of heat)
2. is the overnight marinade, and the directly on the smoker grill the best way
3. any thoughts on good basic rubs / sauces that would be a good point to start experimenting with?

I will be cooking them later this week, want to make sure i have everything planned ahead of time

Last edited by rehab6; 08-29-2010 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: forgot to add last line - sleep dep has started to kick in
rehab6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

What kind of smoker are you cooking on?

Old 08-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
T.K.
On the road to being a farker

I have marintaed wings overnight in a nice tangy hot sauce, smoked them, and they didn't need sauce afterwards. I would recommend just seasoning them an hour or so before, cook, & sauce once done. Be careful and don't get them too tender.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I prefer to keep the chicken simple and make it more complex with the sauces. I get confuzzled easy and then can't remember which wing is which. Now I make one big batch and several styles of sauces for the crowd to sample. Kind of like how buffalo wild wings does it. Just without all of the TV's
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

a tip i read here a do is rubbing them lightly and letting them air dry in the fridge for a couple hours. helps with the skin if you're smoking indirect.

i smoke em at @ 300* for an hour.

a hot(cajun) and a sweet BBQ are 2 good choices. hitting both poles of the spectrum.

do a search for big johns white sauce. forget the marinade part of that recipe and just do the sauce thing. really to die for and kinda in between a hot and sweet BBQ.
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Here is a very good wing recipe...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67603

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote