• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rednecked Ugly Drum Smoker

N8man

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Brethren, I have finished my version of the
Drum Smoker and present it to the world.....
drums_1.jpgdrums_2.jpg
drums_3.jpgdrums_4.jpg
My daddy took a look at it and asked what kind
of fancy corn squeezin' I was fixin' to make?
drums_5.jpgdrums_6.jpg
I was gonna season 'er up but a big ol' thunderstorm
just blew in and since getting this metal
in my head, I'm a might more mindful of
lightning....

N8man that is awsome! Hemi Powered...cool. I recently got into the UDS smokers and absolutely love the way they cook and are real fun to make. These are AWSOME!!!!!!! Good job brother. Need pics of the first cook.

Power Wagon Ramcharger! Nice job N8!
What's your plan for the intake? Open all the time?

Brian

N8 - that is one sharp looking drum! I like the D.R.U.M. name too! Look forward to some finished product off it.

I like it! It has pizzaz. Interesting idea for the intake. No bending over to make adjustments. And, the hood ornament adds a nice touch of class. I've never cooked on on one of these, but am getting geared up to build one. I have two questions.

How do clean out the coals? Just take off the lid, the grill, and the basket and dump?

Do you usually need to add charcoal (or wood) during the cook? If so, would it make sense to cut a door even with the top of the firebox for adding coals? Would cutting the door allow too much air to seep in above the firebox? It seems that it could be a pain the tailfeathers to take the meat and grill off to add to charcoal.

OK. That's more than two questions.

Nice job!

Very cool!!!!:biggrin:

A tip

Put a ball valve on the intake so you can adjust your air flow for temp maintance.

I like that clip on the lid too, much deeper than the one I rigged up. How about a close-up? I would like to build a bracket that would match the handle screws I already have. I have some scraps of 5/32" stainless wire that would be perfect.

N8man,

This is a thing of beauty. Not ugly at all.

questions is ... where's the RAM that was sacrificed its hood ornament?

Sweet N8man....Looks great ....I'm planning my first UDS as we speak...Been talkin to swamprb and got some great ideas...I'll be pesterin' Mista and a few others as well along the way!! Let us know how it cooks....with pics of course:mrgreen:

How do clean out the coals? Just take off the lid, the grill, and the basket and dump?

I'm looking for a suitable ash pan to place under the coal basket. But right now I plan to just use the shop vac.

Do you usually need to add charcoal (or wood) during the cook? If so, would it make sense to cut a door even with the top of the firebox for adding coals? Would cutting the door allow too much air to seep in above the firebox? It seems that it could be a pain the tailfeathers to take the meat and grill off to add to charcoal.

OK. That's more than two questions.
Nice job!
Fired her up this morning at 7:00 am and as of right now, 8:22 pm, still going strong at 250 degrees

Can Do

I like that clip on the lid too, much deeper than the one I rigged up. How about a close-up? I would like to build a bracket that would match the handle screws I already have. I have some scraps of 5/32" stainless wire that would be perfect.

Hope this helps...just some one eighth inch cold rolled steel
bent around the mounting boltshook.jpg

The Ram Lives On

N8man,

This is a thing of beauty. Not ugly at all.

questions is ... where's the RAM that was sacrificed its hood ornament?
drums_3.jpg
Well, through my smoker anyway...last I saw
she was sitting in the junkyard...not sure
what year it was...old ramcharger I think..
I've had the ornament for a decade at least..
I thought about putting it on my truck but
my smoker needs it more!!!

Hope this helps...just some one eighth inch cold rolled steel
bent around the mounting boltsView attachment 8187

That is what I thought I saw. Thanks for the GOOD idea. I'm thinking of tacking the V shaped rod to some 1/8 X 3/4 flat stock (or some 16 ga even) and drilling the mating holes for my handle.. I'm scrounging in my garage as we speak.

I didn't want to get too many holes going until I get settled the final mod on my handle.

Back