Turkey % loss

Pig_Farmer

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I need to supply the church with 20lbs of cooked turkey in a couple of weeks. My plan was to smoke boneless turkey breast, but I'm not sure of the percentage of loss on turkey breast. Can you clue me into the amount of raw meat I will need?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

I need to supply the church with 20lbs of cooked turkey in a couple of weeks. My plan was to smoke boneless turkey breast, but I'm not sure of the percentage of loss on turkey breast. Can you clue me into the amount of raw meat I will need?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

My experience has been; that turkey breasts, if not over-cooked will yield about 70% after cooking.

However if you purchased "enhanced" turkey breasts you can expect about a 65% yield.

so simple math will estimate you will require 29 pounds of raw boneless turkey breast which has not been "enhanced".

Or roughly 31.5 pounds of enhanced.

if i may ask how do you keep a enhanced boneless turkey breast from drying out , using a up right drum smoker?

if i may ask how do you keep a enhanced boneless turkey breast from drying out , using a up right drum smoker?

Enhanced or not, I plan on brining overnight. I'm hoping that's the right thing to do. :twitch: I'm sure it wont hurt.

For Thanksgiving, I do whole turkeys, but I've done boneless breast before. I brine at least 24 hours, and for the whole turkeys, I've got an herb compound butter that goes under the skin. I also stuff the bird (make sure the stuffing is warm, >100 deg) when it goes in, and put it on smoke immediately, else you might never get the stuffing up to food-safe temps. Since my stuffing goes in moist, that, the brine, and the compound butter help keep everything moist. Typical smoking time is 10-12 hours (depends on weight) shooting for 225 deg, but 200-225 will work.

For Thanksgiving, I do whole turkeys, but I've done boneless breast before. I brine at least 24 hours, and for the whole turkeys, I've got an herb compound butter that goes under the skin. I also stuff the bird (make sure the stuffing is warm, >100 deg) when it goes in, and put it on smoke immediately, else you might never get the stuffing up to food-safe temps. Since my stuffing goes in moist, that, the brine, and the compound butter help keep everything moist. Typical smoking time is 10-12 hours (depends on weight) shooting for 225 deg, but 200-225 will work.

Thanks, will try this out!:biggrin1:

Back