Themoworks Smoke

rexster314

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know there's a newer version out, but Thermoworks has the Smoke on sale for 79$. I bought a red one because red is more responsive. As it ended up, I also won a NIB Smoke unit on eBay the same day. I had forgotten about my using Auction Sniper on that and didn't think about it till I got the "pay me" email from eBay.

Oh well, I can use them on my 2 Masterbuilts

Why is a red Smoke more responsive?

It's sort of an inside joke among thermoworks customers that I think started with different color thermapens reading faster than others according to the owner of said thermapen.

you may see in someones signature that they have the "superfast blue thermapen" thats crap cuz everyone knows the white ones are the fastest byfar:-D

Dumb question maybe, but assuming you need/want the wifi, what would the reasoning be for buying the smoke instead of the signals?

Smoke + Gateway runs $190 for 2 probes. 2 more probes (and one less piece to lose or batteries to die) for an extra $40 seems like a no-brainer?

And while I'm at it :) What's the benefit of the smoke at 2x+ the cost of the new dot?

Don't get me wrong, I love all things Thermoworks. It just seems like they have built out a weirdly overlapping product line.

Dumb question maybe, but assuming you need/want the wifi, what would the reasoning be for buying the smoke instead of the signals?

Smoke + Gateway runs $190 for 2 probes. 2 more probes (and one less piece to lose or batteries to die) for an extra $40 seems like a no-brainer?

And while I'm at it :) What's the benefit of the smoke at 2x+ the cost of the new dot?

Don't get me wrong, I love all things Thermoworks. It just seems like they have built out a weirdly overlapping product line.

DOT is one probe only, so you need two if you want to monitor both meat and pit temp. No way to view temp remotely w/the regular $43 DOT, and the Bluetooth enabled DOT is $70.

Smoke has way better battery life than the new Signal. But no WiFi, unless you get the Gateway. BUT, you also don't have to pay for Wifi capability if you don't need/want it.

I also really like that the Smoke isn't dependent on a smartphone app, it comes with a remote monitor.

I do occasionally wish my Smoke had more probes tho.

I myself have to need for a wi-fi connection to the temp probes. I'll never be 100 miles away to just check on my cooking. I understand if there's a reception problem with the regular Smoke unit that wi-fi will overcome. I just don't need it myself. My Masterbuilt remotes work great all around my house, and the Maverick 2 prober works great as well.

It's sort of an inside joke among thermoworks customers that I think started with different color thermapens reading faster than others according to the owner of said thermapen.

you may see in someones signature that they have the "superfast blue thermapen" thats crap cuz everyone knows the white ones are the fastest byfar:-D
White ones indeed!

Whats with this smoke + gateway app costing $4/mo? Are they seriously charging a monthly fee for me to monitor my temps over my own wifi? If so, get bent. I'll look elsewhere. I have a DigiQ and might just consider a Cloud or w/e its called.

Congratulations on the Smoke! The fastest color is in my Sig though. :becky:

Whats with this smoke + gateway app costing $4/mo? Are they seriously charging a monthly fee for me to monitor my temps over my own wifi? If so, get bent. I'll look elsewhere. I have a DigiQ and might just consider a Cloud or w/e its called.
I have not heard of that. I have the Smoke and Gateway and don't have to pay anything per month.

Congratulations on the Smoke! The fastest color is in my Sig though. :becky:
This a conspiracy! White is the fastest color (no tints to slow it down), but if I change the font color in my sig, it disappears! Is there a way to tint the background behind a word? Probably not, because there is a CONSPIRACY by those who use colored Thermapens.:tsk:

That is crazy they want to charge you to use their app.

That is crazy they want to charge you to use their app.

Yeah, but they sell a unit that is stand alone. The app is web based, so not really a "app" Which makes it harder to work around the monthly fee if you get my drift. I will probably buy the Wifi version as its only $50 more for the wifi add-on device and sign up for a month. Thats all im going to say, but lets just say it wont cost me anything after that.

Back