MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #61
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyMan View Post
Would parchment paper work or does it have to be "butcher paper"? I have a roll of parchment lying around for pizza is why I ask.
I have done smaller cooks with parchment paper, and I see no reason it would not work. But, the cost of baking parchment is higher than butcher paper. And now that I have the roll, I am finding many more uses for it. Such as packing my meats for freeszing, laying it out to prevent grease on stuff, making paper hats. I like having it around. Still, I would think parchment paper would work.

A caution though, I have to "seam" my paper together, and this makes it less stable and allows for some liquid loss, or I butcher fold it (I tried both ways, not much, if any, difference), either way, the package is not as easy to handle as I am sure one piece would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
I always wanted to do that on my UDS. My first question is I guess at what temp do you smoke them at?

And 2) Pork on top or Beef on top grate?
I do a stepped smoke:
225F for 2 hours to get as much smoke as I can. Plus, I like the smoke ring I get that way.

300F for 2 hours, this gives me time to get the bark the color I want. I have always done this as I believe when I just go hotter, bark development doesn't seem as nice.

350F until done, this gets things done faster. In particular, for cooking in paper, I don't see any reason to go lower, as there is no need to worry about scorching or charring. I do not go higher, as anything above 400F might be a bad scenario for the paper.

I typically have gone pork on top, brisket on bottom, but, I offset the meats if I can, so the air flows around them.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #62
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalotom View Post
Landarc, You mentioned something about putting liquid in when you wrapped. Will it hold much liquid?
No, but, I am not so sure it needs to. I poured about 2 tablespoons into the paper from the side, so as not to wash the bark and then I sprinkled some over the brisket gently to moisten the surface. I think this might have taken all of 2.5 tablespoons or so.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #63
MarleyMan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the reply Landarc. I bought a roll I use for pizza as I said, and may have to give this a try sometime (or ask my butcher for a 3 ft piece to try this method out).

It looks wonderful, and I love learning new techniques with the wealth of knowledge here!

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #64
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I bought some big, giant paper bags at TruValue I think they were for lawn clippings and they look perfect for this purpose. I'm going to give them a try. They are a lot of paper for the money, I'll you know how they work.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #65
ese
Found some matches.

oh man that brisket looks good!
ese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I did probe through the paper, there is not a lot of moisture loss, of course, I am using a metal skewer and once you get through the paper, it is just like probing a brisket for doneness.
It sounds like you and most everyone else here has more skill with probing through foil and paper than I. The two times I've tried probing through foil I probed all the way threw and liquid just spewed out the bottom.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #67
Camille Eonich
Full Fledged Farker

That is some fantastic looking brisket. The bark is beautiful!
Camille Eonich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #68
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
It sounds like you and most everyone else here has more skill with probing through foil and paper than I. The two times I've tried probing through foil I probed all the way threw and liquid just spewed out the bottom.
Ryan, with the paper, I found the probe (I use a metal shishkebab skewer, not super pointy) I had to create a small hole with my knife, then poke. The paper held enough integrity the skewer did not easily go through. Note, I do not hate my brisket, so I am not stabbing at it like a psychopath.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #69
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

funny.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #70
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Ryan, with the paper, I found the probe (I use a metal shishkebab skewer, not super pointy) I had to create a small hole with my knife, then poke. The paper held enough integrity the skewer did not easily go through. Note, I do not hate my brisket, so I am not stabbing at it like a psychopath.
I also use a old shish kebab skewer, I just make my hole in the Bp through the layers trying not to hit the meat then I use a toothpick to check for tenderness the smaller the holes the better I think ;)

Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #71
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Bob, I'm gonna give you're technique a run...fantastic looking brisket.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #72
brishook1
Found some matches.

Bravo!
brishook1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags