MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #7771
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Painting the outside will be fine my next build will be painted with Hammerite.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #7772
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

[QUOTE=amducious;1608622]chicken wireQUOTE]

sounds a little on the wimpy side...unless its not the chikn wire i'm thinking of ?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #7773
JaseS10
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamaque View Post
Jason,
This is what I did, so I can use my UDS for grilling and of coarse smoking. I like to sear steaks, brats etc. Drill 3 holes at opposite angles in the side of the drum, and place 1/4 inch screws with a backing bolt inside. Do this about 8-10 inches below your grill, basically obtain another cheap round grill. Then when you want to grill, put the new charcoal rack in, fill it with your favorite charcoal, hot burning stuff, light it up. Then your grill is only 8-10 inches off the heat source. When your smoking, just remove that grill/ charcoal grate and your good. I now don't remove it at all, I use it to put a water or drip pan on it when I smoke, so it serves both purposes.
This is a good idea. I was thinking about adding a water pan anyway after talking to a friend of mine. So i'll have that going in a couple days. Thanks for all the help, guys.
JaseS10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #7774
kcarz
Found some matches.

I should be finishing my first UDS this weekend and doing my first burn. I have 3 3/4 nipples and a 4th hole with a ball valve. I am going to use the Minion Method. Do I need all 4 wide open to start and as temps come up start closing off one intake at a time than use the ball valve for the long haul? If this is correct what temps do I start closing intake ports? I know I've seen it on here but can't seem to find it. Thanks for the help.
kcarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #7775
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

A friend of mine comes by my place a couple weeks ago and noticed I had two replacement Weber grills laying by the door. He asks if I'm building a UDS, to which I reply, "a what?" I was planning to build one after I saw somebody that was selling them, just didn't know what it was called.

He tells me of this forum and this thread, and for the next wee, I pretty much spent the next week reading all 500+ pages of the thread. I'm glad I did. I'm really glad I took notes as even in the last 15 pages I read, there was a tip I needed to know. (I read it out of order thinking the first 100 pages would have ideas later improved upon. Not true actually.)

I'm a smoker novice as in, I've never owned one before, so much of the forum discussion has been important to me, not just how to build and operate the UDS.

Though it's not completely done, nor painted at all, it's been a busy smoker since Thursday, completing two fatties, 24 moink balls, 3 huge racks of baby backs, two 7.5lb pork shoulders and a 6lb brisket. All of which have been amazing, and all the credit goes to this discussion thread.

While reading the thread, I saw Skidder's 4th UDS setup with casters on legs and immediately thought it looked like a droid and realized my build would need to look like R2-D2, as my career has been centered on Star Wars for some time now.

As I have access to a nearby metal working shop so I took advantage of that for parts of the build, including legs, my fire basket and a couple clips. I really liked the basket design from Norcoredneck, so I used that as my model.

Still to be added is a thermometer below the grill, handles and paint.

I'm very happy with the removable basket on a pizza pan design from Nocoredneck. I got my pans at Ace mart, metal fence base plate, 1/2" pipe with a cap on top that has a 1/4" bar across it for a removable handle.

The fatties from the first cook and baby backs from the second.

What I had to do because the free drums a freind brought to me had the dreaded red liner and I was so anxious to begin, I did so with my angle grinder. It's wasn't fun, but it wasn't terrible either.

PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #7776
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Very Nice Build Philip! Oh, I would waste no time hitting a rack of those ribs either.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #7777
Guamaque

I found R2D2 !! lol.

While reading the thread, I saw Skidder's 4th UDS setup with casters on legs and immediately thought it looked like a droid and realized my build would need to look like R2-D2, as my career has been centered on Star Wars for some time now.

Last edited by Guamaque; 10-19-2011 at 08:38 PM..
Guamaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #7778
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamaque View Post
I found R2D2 !! lol.

I think ya need some more thermometers
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #7779
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

I've read all kinds of experiences with regular paint, engine paint, grill paint, etc., and think I'd lke my base coat to be white engine paint.

Does anybody have a suggestion for white engine paint that comes in a quart for spraying, as opposed to a rattle can?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #7780
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
I've read all kinds of experiences with regular paint, engine paint, grill paint, etc., and think I'd lke my base coat to be white engine paint.

Does anybody have a suggestion for white engine paint that comes in a quart for spraying, as opposed to a rattle can?

Quart is a lot of paint for a UDS. Any reason not to use rattle can ?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #7781
Fife

Good Luck with the build

Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #7782
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

Just curious, now that I've got my UDS up and running:

Are you guys using lump or briquettes in your UDS? Or might that be determined upon what your cooking (ie. Ribs vs. Brisket)?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #7783
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Quart is a lot of paint for a UDS. Any reason not to use rattle can ?
I'm a much better painter with my hvlp than I am with a rattle can. As for how much, I have three to do now that friends are getting bitten by the bug.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #7784
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I use about a 50/50 mix of Royal Oak lump and Kingsford blue. Lump seems to burn too hot and eratic but the KB evens it out and gives me a long predictable burn.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #7785
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
I'm a much better painter with my hvlp than I am with a rattle can. As for how much, I have three to do now that friends are getting bitten by the bug.

OK. Check www.por15.com. They have engine enamel in qt cans.

Good luck on the paint job.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker