MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #31
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
do you polish that after every cook or what
That's actually a pic of yours... lol! Have you let my baby go downhill? :'(

And no, I don't polish after every cook. My cleaning regimen takes > 5 minutes after a cook. Easy peasy if you keep it up :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #32
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually Robb it is cleaner now than when I picked it up. I was only razzing ya because I'm that guy polishing all the cookers each weak

Old 08-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #33
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Actually Robb it is cleaner now than when I picked it up. I was only razzing ya because I'm that guy polishing all the cookers each weak
atta-boy!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #34
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

Really interesting video.
I made the switch to stick burning from a wsm two years ago. For me I enjoy the work of tending a fire and prefer the food that comes off my stick burner to what I was making on the wsm.
That said I've got friends that have pellet cookers that joke with me about being able to put food on and take off to run errands while their meat cooks.

We are lucky to have so many choices for cookers out there
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #35
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogbbq21 View Post
Really interesting video.
I made the switch to stick burning from a wsm two years ago. For me I enjoy the work of tending a fire and prefer the food that comes off my stick burner to what I was making on the wsm.
That said I've got friends that have pellet cookers that joke with me about being able to put food on and take off to run errands while their meat cooks.

We are lucky to have so many choices for cookers out there
I couldn’t agree more! The choices in different smokers, grills, meats, techniques, rubs, etc. is why I love this hobby so much. It never gets old

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #36
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
Backyard sized offsets are a lot less money though. You could probably make the same comparison with a Lang 36 which runs <$2000.
True.

I'd love to get a stick burner, but even a backyard offset is not feasible for my urban living. As crazy as it sounds, I've gone as far as contemplating a summer place in WI or MI so I could have more space for an offset... and lake property.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #37
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Not at all surprised by the results. I have used all four and currently own an RF and a Kamado and agree almost completely. Stick burners simply produce better tasting bbq, but require the most work.

The one thing I don’t agree with is most of the differences he talked about between the traditional and RF offset are due to the different size stacks on those two smokers. Switch the stacks and the RF would flow more air and (if run wide open) burn more fuel. An RF and traditional with the same size inlets and stacks will have pretty much identical flow rates and efficiency. The RF may be more even end to end but skilled use of tuning plates could match or even beat an RF in even temps, especially if the guy running the RF is less familiar with it. In other words, pit master skill is a bigger differentiator than the offset pit style.

Also, he left out the WSM and drum smokers which are pretty darn common. I would expect one used with a drip tray/water pan that keeps the fat from burning to marginally beat the Kamado due to more airflow and ability to burn more wood chunks, but one where the fat burns and smokes would be last in flavor.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #38
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
I would expect one used with a drip tray/water pan that keeps the fat from burning to marginally beat the Kamado due to more airflow and ability to burn more wood chunks, but one where the fat burns and smokes would be last in flavor.
Don’t agree here. Fat drippings are a either love or hate kind of thing and I believe it would rack up quite a few votes from the ones in the love it category. You’ve got some very successful drum guys in the competition realm for instance. The flavor if controlled seems to be pretty popular. Controlled is the key though

Old 08-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #39
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

I don't have much experience cooking on off set stick burners. I got a Primo right now (though looking to get a GF or IVC soon).
I like Jeremy's videos a lot and always find them informative.
My biggest gripe with his "scientific" comparison videos is it doesn't take into account the Pitmaster's expertise. He is clearly a good offset stick burner operator, but in the video he even admits that he doesn't have much experience cooking on Kamados or pellets.
There has to be some affect on the end product that he has so much more experience cooking on stick burners. I know i have gotten better with my Primo over the years

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #40
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKs Q & brew View Post
I don't have much experience cooking on off set stick burners. I got a Primo right now (though looking to get a GF or IVC soon).
I like Jeremy's videos a lot and always find them informative.
My biggest gripe with his "scientific" comparison videos is it doesn't take into account the Pitmaster's expertise. He is clearly a good offset stick burner operator, but in the video he even admits that he doesn't have much experience cooking on Kamados or pellets.
There has to be some affect on the end product that he has so much more experience cooking on stick burners. I know i have gotten better with my Primo over the years
That’s a really good point

Old 08-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #41
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Has anyone noted , that the pellet pooper used in this blind tasting .........sells for $4,000 ?
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #42
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
Has anyone noted , that the pellet pooper used in this blind tasting .........sells for $4,000 ?
They were all expensive pits.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #43
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post

I’d venture a guess those offsets are a good bit above 4K. I just recall a few people that had both a 640 and a 1500 say the 1500 put out a more offset like product than the 640...maybe it was confirmation bias? I dunno...but the design of the pit with the baffle plate having holes seems to make a lot of sense...when I had my 640 I wondered why they didn’t do that as a lot of the smoke goes up the side and the end....maybe a size thing.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote