MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
TrustTheDust
Full Fledged Farker

Default Acu-Rite Wireless Thermometer on Woot

Anyone have any experience with these?

I have a similar wireless thermometer, but was thinking about picking this one up as a backup if it was worth it.

either way, it looks like a good deal and thought i should share.

TrustTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

i have 1 & the probe died after 2 cooks. now it's just a clock.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
undertaker
Got Wood.

I was just going to post about this. Now I'm debating whether its worth taking a 12 dollar chance.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
anamosity
Full Fledged Farker

I would not go for it. I tried one and it died on the first cook.
anamosity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
ljh34465
is one Smokin' Farker

Damn, moved too fast - thought THIS one might work - got one from Taylor Precision at Lowes and it died on the first cook as well

Seems there is not one that has just GOOD reviews - the Maverick seems to have totally mixed reviews - would sure like to get one that is reliable and doesn't die right away.
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh34465 View Post
Damn, moved too fast - thought THIS one might work - got one from Taylor Precision at Lowes and it died on the first cook as well

Seems there is not one that has just GOOD reviews - the Maverick seems to have totally mixed reviews - would sure like to get one that is reliable and doesn't die right away.
I think the only product I ever found with only good reviews was for Smartwool's socks. 500 reviews on MTBR.com for a pair of socks.
Seriously.
People always find something to get picky with on products, and a lot of people don't read instructions or they treat things poorly.

Find someone you know and trust and get their advice on the product you're looking for?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh34465 View Post

that would be the maverick et-73. nothing but good thingsd about it.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
TrustTheDust
Full Fledged Farker

So, not worth the 18 bucks? oh well.
TrustTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default O.K., here's the Q/A on Thermometers.............;}-

If this Accurite that TTD asked about, and the others I've read about being pieces of PooPoo, then what is the best (probe )thermometer to purchase?

Knowing I am a Stickburner and refuse to open my lid until my times and temps are just right,what would be my best investment?
I have access points for 2 probe cables and have 4 dedicated chamber therms. at grate level for the cooking heat control and have used a miriad of probe therms. with each failing after minimal use. I keep them un-kinked (religiously), and change batteries regularly.I even wrap them in foil for extra protection,yet they still screw-up

Sooooo, anyone have an answer to my quandry
Is there a "GOOD" product out there,I mean reliable for more than 1 to 2 good cooking seasons Or should I just continue with the cheap Polders I now use

Thanks and,
SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka old school
bbqfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
HawgHeaven
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfans View Post
If this Accurite that TTD asked about, and the others I've read about being pieces of PooPoo, then what is the best (probe )thermometer to purchase?

Knowing I am a Stickburner and refuse to open my lid until my times and temps are just right,what would be my best investment?
I have access points for 2 probe cables and have 4 dedicated chamber therms. at grate level for the cooking heat control and have used a miriad of probe therms. with each failing after minimal use. I keep them un-kinked (religiously), and change batteries regularly.I even wrap them in foil for extra protection,yet they still screw-up

Sooooo, anyone have an answer to my quandry
Is there a "GOOD" product out there,I mean reliable for more than 1 to 2 good cooking seasons Or should I just continue with the cheap Polders I now use

Thanks and,
SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka old school
Maverick ET-73... dual probe, meant for meat temp and smoker temp, butt you can use the smoker temp for meat also... you'll just have to get another meat probe.
[I][COLOR=purple]Numerous Weber kettles[/COLOR][/I]

Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
[URL]http://www.hhsbbq.com[/URL]

Super, ultra-fast [B][I][U][COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE [/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]Thermapen
HawgHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

My wife brought me home one a month or so ago after my last one (different manufacturer) died. I've only used it four or five times, but it works well. I have not used the pager function, though. Would I recommend it? I don't have enough usage yet - however, so far, so good.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgHeaven View Post
Maverick ET-73... dual probe, meant for meat temp and smoker temp, butt you can use the smoker temp for meat also... you'll just have to get another meat probe.
That's what I use and so far so good. I've been using it every since I started smoking... (which is only since July this year )...

At first I thought it wasn't accurate because there was a difference between it and a manual probe I was using. So I put all three probes (manual, Maverick smoke chamber & meat probes) into a pot of water making sure they were not touching the sides nor the bottom. Then I heated the water up to boiling and the Maverick was dead nuts on the money reading 210 - 211 (I'm at 1,000 ft above sea level) and the manual probe was off the scale high... needless to say, the manual probe hit the garbage can...

Old 10-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgHeaven View Post
and triple wrap the probe wire in ducttape...