Multi "assortments" of same meat

K

Kung Fu BBQ

Do you think it's wise to put 3 parts of one meat catagory in a box?
Does it get judged differently?

What I mean is. With Pork or Brisket, some like the ends, shredded, pulled and or sliced. I've seen on the board and even turned a box with a variety inside.

But today I was thinking... while eating contest left overs.. what do the judges do when presented with that arrangment? Do they eat some of each before judging? do they only eat what they prefer? what if the sliced meat was drier than the pulled?

thoughts please.

That the $64,000 question. I am a backyard guy that does one or two comps a year. Very interested in the experienced bros take on this.

Common sense says turn in your best meat. Sometimes that might be difficult to distinguish if you think you've done particularly well. People can and often do shoot themselves in the foot by turning in two parts from the same meat. I think I did it to myself earlier this year with pork... got TOO much sauce in the chopped pork and I believe it killed us even though we had nice medallions. I've turned in dry sliced brisket along with moist point and scored low. My advice is if there's any doubt that one part might not be top quality and the other is great, go with one part of the meat.

In judge class, we were encouraged to sample every thing in the box so I do. I think it is only fair to the cook that all cuts provided are sampled and the score should be based on the total entry and not just on the individual sliced, pulled, or chopped portions.

AS a judge we are encouraged to take a sample of each (so make sure you have 6 pieces of each). The wayI judge is take a sample of each, judge each seperately and then give an overall average. So if sliced brisket got a 9 and a burnt end was a 7 the over all score would be an 8. This would apply for each score, except appearance of course.

Put in what you think is best... Appearance is the least of the scores, so don't put something in just because it will look good if it's not something you'd want to be judged on. A judge may take ONLY that meat, and that's what the score would be based on. Think of everything you put in as your potential score.

Back