6 Chicken Brine and Smoke (Pron)

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
G'Day Bruces'.

I've had this one in the can for a while now. I did this about the time the Po'Boy TD was running.

I'm interested to know why more whole chicken is not Q'd on the forum. Is it because it is not commonly done in the US, or is it done a lot, but just not shown... I'd like to know.

For me, a whole BBQ Chicken is the best there is. Since joining the forum and learning how to brine.. (Something that is a lost art in Australia), I've found that BBQ'ing whole chicken with stuffing like this is truly awesome.

First... the brine... sorry, no recipe..:heh::heh:. I'm on my way to perfecting this for my tastes. No point in giving it out until I'm happy with it.

DSCF2914_1042.jpg

The chickens were brined for about 10 hours. They are all large chickens... about 1.8 kilos each... or about 4 Lbs.

Here they are all done:
DSCF2920_1044.jpg

3 Chickens I dusted with Zanterains Creole Seasoning:
DSCF2921_1045.jpg

And 3 I dusted with... Steph's magic Cherry Rub, sent to me by SmokeJumper. I'm now out BTW... (Hint,Hint).....
DSCF2922_1046.jpg

DSCF2923_1047.jpg

Then onto the COS, which I am really getting good at using!
DSCF2925_1049.jpg

Now, I'm gonna lay a whole lot of pron in here.....

FARK this tasted as good as it looks....
DSCF2936_1050.jpg

DSCF2939_1053.jpg

DSCF2944_949.jpg

DSCF2946_1060.jpg

Errrr... it was a while ago, but I think I ran this at about 250F up to an internal of about 160 ish. Brined Chicken does not have to go as hot as un-brined chicken. This means extra juicyness, and also because it's cooked whole, with stuffing, the surface area is a lot less, resulting in a much more succulent offering... s'cuse me if I'm getting too technical... but the bigger the chicken, the less is the surface area to mass ratio, and this makes a big difference when retaining moisture. The stuffing also steams on the inside and contributes to the moisture retention.

When I got them off the COS.... they looked like this...

DSCF2947_1061.jpg

DSCF2948_1062.jpg

DSCF2952_1066.jpg

DSCF2953_1067.jpg

And some kids enjoying the result.... Yes, the skin was "bite through"..
DSCF2956_1070.jpg

DSCF2957_1071.jpg

Now, the family didn't eat all 6 chickens... I gave 2 away to neighbours who came a knocking and wondered what the delicious smell was. The rest made sandwiches for the family for the whole week... and no complaints from the kids until it was all gone!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Bill

Beautiful birds, very nicely done!

I also love to BBQ whole chickens. It's a case of the whole being so much more than the sum of it's parts (or something like that). I guess you don't see very much about chicken on the forum because it's not considered as sexy (difficult?) as doing a whole brisket, and well there's nothing better than a nice rack, and who doesn't like a nice butt? (puns intended of course) But I put BBQ chicken right up there with the rest. They taste great, and make a great canvas for experimenting with different flavor combinations.

Again, congratulations on a job well done!:thumb::clap2:

Nice work! :thumb:

What did you stuff them with?

Ahh, sorry, no pics of that. I make the stuffing from scratch. My Mum and Dad owned a delicatessen when I was growing up, and they did an Aussie version of a BBQ Chicken. They were the best at it, but they didn't know about brining. I still use their stuffing recipe though... well, not exactly how they did it.

I don't make stuffing for 1 chicken. I make stuffing for lots of chickens. You can make a lot of stuffing and then roll it into balls and freeze if you do not have enough chicken to stuff. BUT.... if you have a massive JOS... you might need to make a lot more than this...

1 Loaf Sour Dough Bread, cut into chunks.
1 Medium size onion, chopped.
100 to 200 grams bacon.. damn.... can't you guys get with the real wold and go metric.... Fark it... a good fistful...
1 tablespoon Mixed Spice
1 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
2 tsp Celery Salt
1 Egg
Water just to bind, not to make "wet"

Cut up the bread and place in a blender or food processor. Add all the other dry ingredients and just pulse roughly. I do all this by hand in a big aluminium bowl...

Once mixed, add your own fresh herbs.. and mix again. I love lots of fresh Thyme, Parsley...etc

Then stuff into the chicken and you can't go wrong!

Cheers!

Bill

Beautiful birds, very nicely done!

I also love to BBQ whole chickens. It's a case of the whole being so much more than the sum of it's parts (or something like that). I guess you don't see very much about chicken on the forum because it's not considered as sexy (difficult?) as doing a whole brisket, and well there's nothing better than a nice rack, and who doesn't like a nice butt? (puns intended of course) But I put BBQ chicken right up there with the rest. They taste great, and make a great canvas for experimenting with different flavor combinations.

Again, congratulations on a job well done!:thumb::clap2:

Thanks Mister Bob... I think you and me could get together if there was not the Pacific Ocean in the way!

Cheers!

Bill

Definitely nice looking birds. We do the rotiss thing on occasion, but haven't brined or stuffed, which sounds like it really kicks it up a few notches.:thumb:

Looks great Bill !!!

Your question; I don't know about the rest of the country but around here. Just about any store (food & convenience) sell rotisserie chicken whole. And folks buy a lot of them ready to eat around $6. But for vendors and customers it's easy to walk up and grab yourself a leg with a piece of bread and never break your trot. Fast paced world here and folks don't want to wait for anything. Down here we would complain about waiting in line at the Pearly Gates, well some would. I'd be happy just to be in the line, hoping to get in before they changed their minds.:pray:

Hi Bill-

Great tip on the stuffing- I smoke a lot of chickens whole but never stuffed them. I'll definitely try this.

Thanks for the post! :thumb:

What, did a leaf blow in on the 2nd Pic? I have done a few whole birds, mostly Spatchcock style. Those look great you have!!! :thumb:

As mentioned whole chickens can be bought at most any Grocery store here, and the are usually Rotisserie cooked.

We eat a lot of chicken at our house, for one it is cheap and two there are so many ways to cook it. I am going to do a couple whole this weekend after seeing yours.

Dang Bill those are beautiful!! I'm trying very hard not to lick the screen. :redface::thumb:

Very nice... I too love whole chicken, like pervious post. Most don't want to wait on the good stuff! So they buy a whole precooked in the local grocery. I enjoy the wait myself....

You know I'd hit those Chicks....multiple times...all at once!!!

Hey quit that!! Do you think we're in woodpile or something??:p

psst....smokinaussie.... what he said!! Nice job!

Back