MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Default Got a Lang smoker - I wanna cook for everyone - but I don't want to get sued - Now what?

Recently bought a Lang 60 Deluxe w/warming box and 40" chargrill.

I've got this nice rig in my back yard, I can turn out some dang good Q, and money is being offered for me to come cook.

I also love to take the rig over to a bud's house, and the neighborhood chips in, and we turn out a FEAST on the Lang.

That been said...... fellow members here have mentioned: "You better be careful in feeding so many people without any kind of insurance, etc. Your life can go down the tubes real quick if people claim your cooking made them sick."

That's damn scary.

Can a person not have a nice smoker, cook for folks, share some good Q, make an extra buck, and just live life without having to talk to lawyers, buy insurance policies, etc. ?

I'm in Alabama, in case that matters. Please tell me what I MUST DO in order to cook for friends, family, or strangers and never have to worry about someone suing me. - This is the part where I close my eyes and hope I don't have to spend money.

Thanks in advance for your input. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Just bring it to me and all your worry's are over
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Have the same problem just not with the Lang mine is a custom build. Was looking into doing the same thing and checked with the county health folks and where I live I basicly have to have a full commercial kitchen on wheels complete with a friggin freezer [now that's a bunch of BS to me] currently looking into doing what is called a temp food service rig which dosen't have to have half the **** as the other which makes no sense as you are doing the same thing. Anyway that's what's up where I am I would check with the local health dept first.
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

There has to be some rules and regulations otherwise a lot of people would sell roadside and restaurants would have less business. If the restaurant needs the correct equipment, why shouldn't we?

I agree with a lot of the rules, some are crazy though.
kurtsara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

KISS
Dont charge friends and family, accept donations.

NEVER cook for the public. :)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do a number of events for a couple local restaurants and as such, I'm considered a part of their kitchen. All of the insurance is on them.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote