Montreal Smoked Meat @ Schwartz’s

TheBBQJew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was up in Montreal the other day and decided to stop in at Schwartz’s and try the smoked meat. I’m from New York City and pastrami is perfection. I never tried smokedmeat before and want to give it a try. Scwartz’s makes their smoked meat form the brisket cut. Knowing this I ordered the med-fat hoping to get some point meat in there. I got mostly cuts off the flat with a slice or 2 off the point.

The sammich came to the table and what a wonderful smell! Some say that only a few places still smoke there meats and Schwartz’s is definetly one of them. First impression was more of a smoked brisket than pastrami. NY pastrami is historically wet cured while Schwartz’s dry cures. Maybe that is the reason? Smokier than pastrami! I enjoy the navel cut of the pastrami much better. More marbling in the navel cut. Better distribution of fat. The sandwich was the right combination of juicy, fatty, and salty! Not as spiced as pastrami however. Pastrami has stronger notes of coriander, paprika, and black pepper.

Bottom line is that Schwartz’s smoked meat is excellent but not good enough to be a threat to the king of deli meat.... pastrami! I thoroughly enjoyed my sandwich and anticipate crossing paths wth many more in my near future!

Top pic is Schwartz’s and bottom pick is Sarges in NYC!

Attachments

• D1F74077-2B9E-4FD7-B0E1-F4F9A4372898.jpg
    D1F74077-2B9E-4FD7-B0E1-F4F9A4372898.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 169
  • FD02BF51-F4BD-41EB-8083-C53870A4FB7A.jpg
    FD02BF51-F4BD-41EB-8083-C53870A4FB7A.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 169
Observations

1. I would totally hit that Smoked Meat sandwich HARD.
2. I would totally hit that NY pastrami HARD.
3. There are very few places in St. Louis that make decent pastrami or corned beef, but none of the ones that do would hold a candle to either of those sandwiches.
4. I really need to try to corn my own beef for pastrami...

Edit:

5. If you've never had a Dr. Brown's with your pastrami, then you've been eating pastrami at the wrong place.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I’ve eaten at Schwartz’s twice, thought it was outstanding each time. I did find out the hard way that you need to bring Canadian funds, they don’t take cards. They will take USD but at face value, which means you pay a pretty good premium when using USD.

Yeah cash only and now paying with USD gets you a 10% premium if that makes any sense!

I’d certainly take either one anytime, but based on looks alone, that NY Sammy looks like it really needs some help. While you can’t judge a book by its cover ever, there’s a very clear winner here presentation wise...

Did you try the Montreal Bagels while you were there? If so, what did you think seeing as you're a New Yorker.

I have been there twice and enjoyed it both times.

That place is pretty small and can get a line out the door and down the block

We ate there twice while in Montreal years ago. Great atmosphere and delicious food! I enjoyed sitting at the counter and shooting the breeze with the guys back there.

I even asked about their process. One worker told me was they smoke their briskets outside for a short period of time and then bring them inside to finish.

The missus and I went on a vacation to Montreal in February many years ago (not the smartest plan I’ve ever had). On the plus side, the lines at all of the tourist hot spots were pretty darn short. Schwartz’s included. Ate there twice and then got a take out order to eat at the hotel room one other night. I still dream of that sandwich.

Back