MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #2206
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
What is the overall height?
Seems like a short drum of 6" would be enough to allow two racks and the flat lid.
How tall is your short drum?
"you should be able to get the seal with stove gasket rope siliconed (with high temp food grade silicone) to the lid (that is welded to the bottom of the drum) and the lever clamp would tighten it down. Real interested in how it works."
I think the overall height is about 44 inches. The bottom drum is about 12 to 13 inches. Gives me about 4 inches below the fire grate, 25 inches to the first rack, 7 inches to the second rack, and then 7 inches to the lid. I will probaly add about 2-3 inches for a rolling base with wheels, but at 6'1" that still leaves me with a good height to work easily. The wife is 5'2", she will never use it, but if she does I can build her a step stool.

I like the idea of stove gasket. Will check that out this week.

ps: I grabbed 7 oak pallets to burn this drum, that was a little too many. 4 would have been fine.
Here is the start of the burn...

I think it was running a little hot because the bottom half of the drum was glowing...

Luckily the neighbors didn't call the fire department. Yet.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #2207
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

jar, I believe that drum will be sterile my friend. Get it done and fire it up!!!!!!!! Nice build so far. Keep some good pics posted for all of us drumheads to follow. Nice start.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #2208
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronimo View Post
I think the overall height is about 44 inches. The bottom drum is about 12 to 13 inches. Gives me about 4 inches below the fire grate, 25 inches to the first rack, 7 inches to the second rack, and then 7 inches to the lid. I will probaly add about 2-3 inches for a rolling base with wheels, but at 6'1" that still leaves me with a good height to work easily.
Don't know if you have seen my version, so here's a pics of the original and after shortening it. And my UDG. The UDS has a 8" lid and the UDG a 6" lid.

I am 6'1" also and don't like to bend over much, getting old, bad knee problem.

The first version had 8" legs, I thought it would be less bending to clean up and to adjust the intakes. But it made it a bit tougher to pull the drum up and over the charcoal basket. So I changed the legs to 4" and it is much better. The intakes are still high enough that it is no problem and the racks are just right.

You have not shown your charcoal basket, but I presume it is around 10"-12" tall. I don't see why the drum could not be shorter and the basket could just stick a 4" or so up into the drum and still allow two racks with a flat lid. So a 6" short drum with the grate 3" above the bottom would allow the intakes to be 2" from the bottom which I think is what I did on mine. So 3" to the charcoal grate, 3" to the bottom of the main drum, 18" to the lower rack, 8" to the upper rack and 8" to the top of the drum a total of 40". The drum I have are all 34.5", so with a 6" short drum you get a overall height of 40.5". Or if you build a lid like I have you could get three racks in for those brethren who need that much cooking space.

If the seal works between the two drums all would be fine. The burnout looks good, now to see how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02486.jpg (62.4 KB, 1416 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02561.jpg (35.8 KB, 1414 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03173.jpg (55.7 KB, 1416 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #2209
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

I like the deep lids on yours. I just wrote it down in my book (I keep notebooks of all kinds of ideas, some are even good ones ) I will see about incorporating that into my next UDS. Because you can't have just one!

I did not build my complete fire basket yet, just the base, modified for the JJC™ I was at Home Depot and Lowes and they only had very small gauge expanded metal. Will be in the city tomorrow so I will hit one of the Ace hardwares or a scrap yard tomorrow to find what I want.

I like your idea of the 6 inch firebox. Then I could do a 6 inch lid and still end up with the same overall height, just less reaching over the drum lip to manuever food.

Thanks.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]

Old 01-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #2210
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Default perfect day to burn out a drum

Clouds and fog hid the smoke from the burnout. This was the cleanest burnouts I have done. Nothing left on the outside at all, which hopefully the inside burned completely out also. Won't know until it cool down. I had some old lattice that I used and it burned great.

Hoping the next build will use the Jaronimo short drum mod. If it works for him, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03328.jpg (34.7 KB, 1384 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03330.jpg (32.8 KB, 1385 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03332.jpg (29.9 KB, 1379 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #2211
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting JJC ya got there bro...I just use a wiggle rod...I guess I could call it a "thirdeye" rod or "twr" (thirdeye wiggle rod)...since I got the idea from Wayne (thirdeye)...it's just a length of rod with a hook bent in it to reach in through the air vent and wiggle the charcoal grate.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #2212
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use any number of these on the bottom of can

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #2213
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post

Interesting JJC ya got there bro...I just use a wiggle rod...I guess I could call it a "thirdeye" rod or "twr" (thirdeye wiggle rod)...since I got the idea from Wayne (thirdeye)...it's just a length of rod with a hook bent in it to reach in through the air vent and wiggle the charcoal grate.

But if I just used a piece of rod inserted through the vent, yes, that would work. But how would I justify all the cool tools in my garage? I have to use them for something when I am not working on the cars.

I like things simple. But I also like them mechanical. Which probably explains why I am currently adding bookcases to the basement, but the last bookcase is hinged to make a secret door. Sure I don't need it, but it is shaping up as a pretty cool feature.

[/SIZE]

Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #2214
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
I use any number of these on the bottom of can

Boots? I thought everybody in California wore flip flops?

[/SIZE]

Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #2215
HARRYSTOWN
On the road to being a farker

Newbie here... Has anyone ever tried to sandblast a liner out of a food grade drum? Do you think it would work?
HARRYSTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #2216
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRYSTOWN View Post
Newbie here... Has anyone ever tried to sandblast a liner out of a food grade drum? Do you think it would work?

I sandblasted an epoxy coating out of a car trunk. It was messy, but it worked. And burning it out wasn't an option

[/SIZE]

Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #2217
Dr_KY

The cost would be an issue for me and I think another member did some pricing but I can't remember who. It should be in this thread though.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #2218
Rookie'48

I did the burn out twice but the epoxy liner wasn't all the way gone. I tried the wire wheel trick, but that's way too much pain on the ol' back. My oldest boy said that he could sand blast it for me. It took him about 2 hours to blast the drum inside & out, and he worked his a$$ off. It's a hot, sweaty, dirty job under that hood and it's kinda tough to breathe. I sure am glad he was willing to do it for me.
If you find some one to blast it, it's going to cost you $$$. After it's blasted wipe it down with mineral spirits & paint it PDQ. Oh, yeah, take a big plate of Que to sand blast guy .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #2219
jocosa
Full Fledged Farker

Hey guys... thanks for such a great thread. I joined this forum because of this thread and a couple others on making/fine tuning a UDS. I've been thinking about this for a while... finally bought a molasses drum for $25. A friend is taking the top off for me and I'll finish it up over the next couple of weeks.

Looking forward to asking questions as they come up during my project... we're also doing our first MOINK balls this weekend... :) Can't wait!
jocosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #2220
Meat Burner

Jocosa, read the UDS thread from start to finish. It may take you awhile but is well worth the learning you will get. Just about everything you need to know is in there and then you can prolly bring a new idea in as well. Good luck!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker