MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Brisket Question...

This last weekend I picked up an Angus, 10 Lbs brisket from RD. I trimmed the fat cap side down to the quarter inch. There was little to trim on the fat cap side. I then trimmed the opposite side fairly clean of fat.i trimmed out the wedge of fat between the point area and the flat as well. Cooked on my stick burner per Bludawg's numbers to the "butter" pierce feel and it felt very tender which seemed to temp at about 205°... Result; Awesome taste. Very tender but a little dry (not bad). Bottom line is it seemed a bit lean in the point but of coarse more so in the flat. Question; Does a 10 Lbs brisket have less tendency to produce a fattier (moist) end product than a 15 Lbs brisket???

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-19-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

A 10 pound brisket, when properly cooked and the fat and connecting tissue have rendered properly, will leave about enough edible meat for a good sized chopped beef sammich. Next time get a good beef brisket instead of an Angola goat brisket!

On the serious side, sounds like you may have overcooked it a bit. I would not have trimmed one that small as much as you said you did. But, any brisket is better than no brisket is the bottom line.

Omar

Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

It sounds like the brisket could have used more marbling. I'm real picky when I choose my briskets, I always look for that speckled or striped marbling along the sides and top of the brisket, I pay no attention to the grade because it's unreliable.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Every brisket is different, so size isn't that big of a deal. But... I prefer briskets that are at least 12 lbs, with 15 lbs being my sweet spot. They just seem to cook better to me. I still look for good marbling a flexible, thick flat and a big point, regardless of size.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Sounds undercooked. I have cooked 8LB full briskets that came out great. In my family only 2 of us eat brisket. I have even split a big one lengthwise and cooked it. It's all about getting it probe tender and not coming up short or leaving it too long. I trim very aggressively to get the thickeness more even and to help them cook faster.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

In the last 2 years, I have tried to buy bigger briskets. I have been trying to get them close to 18lbs. I also have started to prefer choice and prime cuts due to the increased marbling in the meat...

Here's my reasoning...When you take into account the yield after trimming and cooking, you get more of every best part of the brisket. I want the largest point possible from the brisket so I can slice and carve it up for burnt ends and moist slices. I also get alot more lean slices for the pickier eaters.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
Bludawg

I tend to agree on the marbling Blame the Cow for bad genes. When you pick out the next one look for good marbling in the Flat, a tail that is at least 1" thick in the thinest part & the point will follow suit

Old 05-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #8
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys. Very interesting; "15 Lbs vs. 8 Lbs", "Over cooked vs. Under cooked" etc. I know it's so hard to give advice without pictures, temp variances and style but that's what makes a brisket a personal achievement. There are a lot of things you can cook by just following instructions but brisket........ Well, not so much. I'll try again this weekend and pay more attention to my purchase. Honestly all I did was check the "ease of bend" in the store. I will look for a 12-15 Lbs cut with good marbling in the flat and 1" plus - thickness at the flat end as Bludawg mentioned. Thanks to all of your input!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Bludawg

The Flop last thing I look for as it is unreliable.The Brisket may be cyroed tight or there might be more hard fat that will through you off.