Stuck at home sick. Side ribs on sale. What the hell, let's do this.

somevelvet

Knows what a fatty is.
This will be the first time I've made side (or "spare" ribs I guess?) in my WSM... hell, it'll be the first time I've made any ribs at all. Thinking of doing the 3:2:1 or 2:1:1 methods I've read about here. Any advice from the masters? Will def update with pics as I go along...

(This is them, they're folded in half though.)

dq0r.png

Not much advice and def not a Master. I say 2:1:1 only because you get to eat them faster and I'm impatient.

Opening the package, this is what it looks like—any thoughts on what to do with the irregularly-shaped top bit?

5ufi.png

Well those would be the tips. They have generously cut for you. So now your in a pickle. You could go longer on your rack and throw your tips on there and they will done a good bit before your ribs so you will have something to snack on. Man I shoulda got me some ribs too...

That's a very good call as I feel like these probably won't be ready till pretty late as I'm just getting around to firing up the smoker!

Any reason not to cut the big piece in half? It's just barely gonna fit on my 18.5, if it does at all.

Should be fine. Or if I was you Id cut off one end probably on the small end and have more to snack on. IMHO.

Good idea but too late, I cut them basically in half. Blue smoke is happening and they are in the smoker!

Another question: how early (or late) do you start slathering 'em with sauce? I'm guessing like, last 30 minutes of the third, non-foiled stage of the cook?

Another question: how early (or late) do you start slathering 'em with sauce? I'm guessing like, last 30 minutes of the third, non-foiled stage of the cook?

Yes, if you sauce them at all. Make sure they show good pullback on bones and are tender between bones with a tooth pick 'fore you call em done!

Damn. Just defoiled them and they are already coming off the bone practically passing the "bend test" already.

I may not be able to resist the tips before my girlfriend gets home. But she doesn't need to know they ever existed... right?

I'll definitely post some finished pics. Leaving them on unfoiled now for a bit and will prob baste soon. (Though if they're already coming apart, do I need to keep them on for very long?)

Back