MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
GammaRei
Full Fledged Farker

Default Backdraft. . .

I normally love to use Kingsford charcoal. Yesterday the Orchard Hardware store didnt have any so I bought some lazari lump coals. Well I loaded up one of the Webers with the right amount, got em lit. and put the lid on em with the air controls at the right settings. I let it heat up and when I went to open it. WHOOSH~!!!! Giant fireball. . . The damn thing backdrafted in my face. . . No hair on my arms, eyelashes and head are singed. . . Never had that happen to me before in 15 years of bbqing. . .

- G
GammaRei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Do it damn near every time I am doin a hight heat/sear cook on the egg. Im use to not having hair on my arms and singed eyebrows lol.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

On a Weber kettle?
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
On a Weber kettle?
That was my thought as well. I've used all kinds of fuel but never had that happen on my kettle. On the Egg - yes. I think I'll stay away from lazari lump.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i'm in a wheelchair so my face is rather close to the kettle. i always open the lid so that the initial opening is away from me. i wouldn't condemn lazzari just cuz of this. seems odd as i've never heard of this. maybe you had some grease in the bottom that got overheated ? happened to me and i had a nice fire ball.

george

Old 04-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

I like a big fireball every now and then to keep me on my toes.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
GammaRei
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
On a Weber kettle?
Yup ON a Kettle. . .

- G
GammaRei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

GammaRei, Sorry to hear about the hot haircut. I did a similar thing reheating ABTs in a toaster oven a few weeks back and I'm still waiting for my hair to get long enough to cut even. I recently made the switch from BGE to Lazzari mesquite for my primary lump because their headquarters is two miles from my home, it is dirt cheap, burns well, and fits my smoke preferences. I also noticed that I am getting more flashbacks than with BGE, Wicked or Cowboy. It usually happens when I have a fresh load, burn it hot, damper it down, and then open the lid. I'm definitely burping my egg and kettle every time under these conditions. Maybe we can start a thread with pictures of our crooked crew cuts.
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->