MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

Default Galvanized metal trash can for smoking.... continued from the "Electric Eye" thread

I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'm starting a new one specifically with smoking inside a galvanized trash can. Someone (Hav?) had found this site in the other thread:

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

the writer was quite satisfied they had found a cheap smoker by using the galvanized metal trash can and an electric eye.

We may want a welder to chime in on this....

I had a small galvanized pipe brazed to a metal milk crate for another project, it was for the plow disk Gastobac burner propane fuel line. The welder recommended NOT breathing the fumes when he was brazing the galvanized pipe; he said they are phosgene gas (like the chemical agents used in the war). I have no proof they are phosgene gas, none the less I knew they were toxic.

I'm not so sure the issue is cooking in a galvanized trashcan, but would the concern be with the galvanized if the galvanized (zinc) is heated and has oxidized (the reason for the "smoke"). If you're not heated the zinc to zinc oxide using the heat, the galvanized trashcan should be fine???

I said "should"....

Any one with welding experience want to chime in?

Maybe there's a thread already archived on the subject?

Not that I'm running out to find an alternative to the UDS.... I loved the first one so much I just built a second one today!! I certainly don't want to compromise my status as a drumhead, I wear that label proudly.

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

You might already know this, but we had a recent thread regarding using a galvanized grate which brings out many issues and opinions on the use of galvanized metal in BBQ equipment.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=galvanized

I suspect, even with the lower temperatures involved, it will end up with Brethren on both sides of the issue with the majority saying it just isn't worth taking the risk.

Edit: I just did a google search and see that many people seem to think it is safe so my prediction might be wrong.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I think I posted this on the other thread that was listed.

http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.PDF

I think that Lincoln Electric does sell electrode that can be used in the welding of galvanzied material (E71T-14 ). This page describes some FCAW information. http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...t/fcwawire.asp

The first link describes how to mitagate problems with weld fume. In other words, it can be done, but the danger needs to be addressed.

With that being said, if the potential for danger in breathing the air while the galvanized material is heated, why would you want to put food in that environment and then feed it to your family?

The galvanzied trash can has the potential to see high heat, although maybe not as much the charcoal basket itself. However, if it does get really hot, you could have a similar situation.

You could build a smoker out of an galvanized trash can, but be aware of the risks and then decide for yourself what you think is best.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Norcoredneck

If you want an electric, get a 30 gallon drum, use 18" weber stuff. I honestly believe a 55 is too much vessle for a hot plate. I made this into an electric.

Here is a 30 gallon with weber parts.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!

Last edited by Norcoredneck; 03-07-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Just say no to galvanized............it's just not worth the risk.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Just My Opinion.

I know that I'm going to take a lot of flack for this
but here goes anyway.
We are not talking about melting metal here people!
Actually not even close to welding temps! 400* max, and 300*
is closer to the maximum temps we deal with when Smoking.
Isn't that about 1800* less than welders have to deal with?
That is just a guess but probably not too far off.

I have been using a Galvanized Steamer for over 30 years and the
temps in there regularly reach 300*. Nobody that I have cooked for has sired any two headed babies let alone, ever became ill.

Don't use that standard bogus argument about "Why use it if there is any chance that this may be harmful?" crap,
it won't fly with me. Your car goes over the highest speed limit and yet, you all speed! Isn't that harmful as well?

Just my opinion for what that's worth.
Shields UP! Let the stoning commence.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanray View Post
I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'm starting a new one specifically with smoking inside a galvanized trash can. Someone (Hav?) had found this site in the other thread:

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

the writer was quite satisfied they had found a cheap smoker by using the galvanized metal trash can and an electric eye.

We may want a welder to chime in on this....

I had a small galvanized pipe brazed to a metal milk crate for another project, it was for the plow disk Gastobac burner propane fuel line. The welder recommended NOT breathing the fumes when he was brazing the galvanized pipe; he said they are phosgene gas (like the chemical agents used in the war). I have no proof they are phosgene gas, none the less I knew they were toxic.

I'm not so sure the issue is cooking in a galvanized trashcan, but would the concern be with the galvanized if the galvanized (zinc) is heated and has oxidized (the reason for the "smoke"). If you're not heated the zinc to zinc oxide using the heat, the galvanized trashcan should be fine???

I said "should"....

Any one with welding experience want to chime in?

Maybe there's a thread already archived on the subject?

Not that I'm running out to find an alternative to the UDS.... I loved the first one so much I just built a second one today!! I certainly don't want to compromise my status as a drumhead, I wear that label proudly.

RMR
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i think it can be used to a point. if it doesn't reach the vaporizing temp it shouls be just fine. also just to clear things up, any welding vapors are harmfull, not just zinc. so, as long as high temp is not sustained with coals then the trash can should be ok.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

More I look and think about the electrical set up in the smoker, the more I would worry about being electrocuted way before the zinc could get me.

The heating element is for indoor use, the chip pan will not catch much of the meat drippings and moisture which will fall right on the hot plate's element which is directily on the bottom of a metal can. Don't like the looks of that set up at all.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
jestridge

It wont hurt you it will never get that hot if it does your food will be burnt, The FDA still allow to use it in food processing plants . Lots od kettles still have zice in them. But you can get galv. poisoning welding on it and breathing the fumes wont kill you but feel like flue or cold systoms. But welding some stainless will make you sick . Lot of water lines are still galv . Most hot water tanks are.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
BBQ Grail

I think the question is fat up or fat down, slather or no slather when cooking in a trash can?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

Default Good one...

Good one for sure.....

I didn't see that one coming.

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
Bbq Bubba

Dude, i found your bong.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
Your car goes over the highest speed limit and yet, you all speed! Isn't that harmful as well?
The National Highway Safety Administration has studies showing an increase in deaths on the highway after speed limits have been increased and a corresponding reduction in deaths when the speed limit is reduced. Unfortunately it is true, speeding is harmful.

However, there is little anecdotal evidence that any of the increase fatalities were due to people hitting galvanized trash cans.

Doing my part for safety.................
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Your Efforts Are Appreciated Matt!

Thank you for standing up for the meager Trash Can Matt.
They may soon become extinct due to gummit regulation
now that we are all being taken care of.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
The National Highway Safety Administration has studies showing an increase in deaths on the highway after speed limits have been increased and a corresponding reduction in deaths when the speed limit is reduced. Unfortunately it is true, speeding is harmful.

However, there is little anecdotal evidence that any of the increase fatalities were due to people hitting galvanized trash cans.

Doing my part for safety.................
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
BBQ Grail

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote