Pellet smokers

BRBBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been looking around for a place that sells food cooked on a pellet smoker, I found two in the local area. I wanted to see if the food tasted better, different or had a Smokey aroma, you know the aroma we all like, the one I smell the next day after opening a bag of left overs, hhhmmm!. Any way I was disappointed, between both BBQ joints none of the pork I ate had any smell of smoke (My wife would like it). Co-do's for the meat being tender and juice, you can also tell by the bark a cleaner burn while cooking, also no smoke ring at the 1st place and slight smoke ring at the 2nd. I read a post in the comp section about Pellet Envy giving classes, maybe I should check it out be fore buying a pellet smoker. I'm not trying to tick off pellet people, just my observation. Maybe the bbq joints should turn their cooker temp down the first 4 hours, then I could smell smoke.

I have one, and I agree that if you don't watch what you are doing, you can loss a lot of the smoke flavor. I haven't had any problem with smoke ring though.

I have a Traeger also. I have not used it since finishing my first UDS. :biggrin:

... also no smoke ring at the 1st place and slight smoke ring at the 2nd.

I've never understood why people complain about pulled pork not having a smoker ring. If you cook a full 8 lb bone in pork butt and you don't butterfly it open, most of the meat won't have a smoke ring. The smoke ring usually extends ~ 1/2" or less into the surface of the meat. Therefore, most of the meat doesn't have a smoke ring.

When I pull mine, I mix all of the juices along with the bark and all the meat together and I think that it when it tastes best.

I'm guessing by the number of top teams that are using pellet cookers, that they don't give an off flavor.

I've been looking around for a place that sells food cooked on a pellet smoker, I found two in the local area. I wanted to see if the food tasted better, different or had a Smokey aroma, you know the aroma we all like, the one I smell the next day after opening a bag of left overs, hhhmmm!. Any way I was disappointed, between both BBQ joints none of the pork I ate had any smell of smoke (My wife would like it). Co-do's for the meat being tender and juice, you can also tell by the bark a cleaner burn while cooking, also no smoke ring at the 1st place and slight smoke ring at the 2nd. I read a post in the comp section about Pellet Envy giving classes, maybe I should check it out be fore buying a pellet smoker. I'm not trying to tick off pellet people, just my observation. Maybe the bbq joints should turn their cooker temp down the first 4 hours, then I could smell smoke.
if you lived or came by north k.c, I can tell you where to go for pellet food (Smoking Guns) and it is very good, nice smoke rings, nice flavor, heck the whole shack smells great,one of my favorites. I am almost sure they only use traegers. BTW, you are right about leaving the cooker down for a while, I run mine pellet poopers at smoke for hours before kicking it up to my final temp. all automatic with the FEC

I cater a bunch with an fec500. Smoke for 7 - 8 hours, then cook for 8.

I have no problem getting all the smoke flavor I need with my FEC100. I usually start out at a lower temp for the first several hours.

I have no problem getting all the smoke flavor I need with my FEC100. I usually start out at a lower temp for the first several hours.

Ditto. I can get a better smoke ring on a pellet cooker than my old stick burner.

Like any pit, you gotta know how to cook on it.

Thanks for the feed back, it's just my observation from two places I've ate at. At one of the bbq joints they use wood chip in his cooker instead of pellets it doesn't over smoke? I thought what the! I do have an UDS but some times I want a true set it and forget smoker no messing with fire, Just fill it with pellets, and set the temp.

moisture

I have one, and I agree that if you don't watch what you are doing, you can loss a lot of the smoke flavor. I haven't had any problem with smoke ring though.

are you using plenty of moisture?

At one of the bbq joints they use wood chip in his cooker instead of pellets it doesn't over smoke?

You can't use wood chips instead of pellets in a pellet cooker. Won't work. That may have been a gas or electric smoker and he was using wood chips for flavor.

I don't have any problem with smoke ring in the FEC and I'm not a fan of overpowering smoke flavor so he lighter smoke flavor works fine for me. The judges don;t seem to mind either.

Here is the smoke ring some brisket.

Brisket.jpg

Back