What Features Does Every Man Want On His Bbq Grill

A

alpinestar6six

Hey all, this thread is for everyone to list what they always wish they had on their BBQ grill!
I am a designer at a high end appliance company and currently am in process of designing a new gas BBQ grill. I figured its time to talk to the people who really enjoy their BBQ so I am looking to the forums to get input from those who cook day in and day out on the hot grills. Your input will be far more beneficial than the information from marketing because you are the people who know grills.

Tell me what you want to see on a BBQ grill
- Features
- Appearance
- Cooking performance i.e. BTUs, side burner, etc
- Size i.e. width, height, cooking area
- Things that you don’t like
- Other BBQ features that you thought were made exceptionally well
- Or anything else that you thought - damn I wish my grill had/did this

If you wish to e-mail me send to duhunter@hotmail.com

When information can be made available I will let all of you know of the company and the model. This will be a huge benefit to us and hopefully you in the future. Thanks

My gas grill is a back-up for my charcoal grill. I use it when I need to grill something quickly or the weather's bad. I find that my Weber Genesis B has most of the features I look for in a gas grill. It is relatively easy to maintain,, has good customer support, well made and is priced fairly. The things I'd want are the BTU's equal to burning mesquite so that I could sear steaks, and a grill material that had the same properties as cast iron without the maintenance issues. I'm not from the "pimp my grill" school, but believe in simpler is better, and a spare esthetic when it comes to grills. For me stainless is for show, cast aluminum is the way to go. Now if you asked me about customizing a smoker, that would be a different story...

Last edited:
Dont use one piece grates. If you do, provide some way or tool to lift them easily.
Igniters are the first to break...either have a good one or provide a butane lighter and a spot to light the burner without lifting a grate to get at the burner.
Provide a way to use a smoker box, or include one.

My 2 cents

I think a grill with an attached firebox would be nice. Something like this link: http://www.bbqgalore.com/store/item.bbq?invky=4089929, but with a propane source in the main body. This would make the best of both worlds and allow 1 grill to be used for smoking for low and slow and propane for the hot and fast cooking.

Oh yeah I knew I was forgetting something.. A dual gas/charcoal model like NCGrimbo mentioned...a one model does it all type thing.

Heavy cast iron burners (3), SS full coverage water tight (w/well) drip pan, fool proof igniters, a damn accurate cooking level thermometer, weather proof body, porcelin 2 or 3 pc. grates, lose the side burners, I passed up two nice grills last time because they had em.
Are we all being placed in a drawing for the new model????
ModelMaker

A nice size with umph in BTUs for cooking, yet can be turned down low enough to maintain a temperature below 200 (other than the ambient temperature!).

The biggest problem that I find is not being able to just keep something warm when I want to. It is either cooking, or off and gettign cold.

Three separate controls on mine and yet with one at the lowest setting I am at 250 or more.

Obviously stainless is the way to go. I have a Lynx gas grill (bought it years ago before the market got flooded with SS models) that cost a good bundle. For what I paid for it years ago, other makes are building SS models that are 3 times the size and 3 times the features for half the cost. But the sum bitch works like the day I bought it. The solid cast brass burners are indestructible. I love the solid SS grids. But what cooks best on any grill is searing hot grids (good for cleaning the grids too). I almost always lay down a few pieces of used heavy duty foil on the grids and get them as hot as possible. I always wondered if there would be a way to fold down a metal cover, as part of the grill as opposed to the foil? It would have to fold out of the way. Maybe accordion folded to the back of the grill? Guess it`s not practical and foil would be just as easy. Maybe mechanically lower the grids to the flame for heat up and raise them to cook? But to get the grids smoking hot would be a great feature.

When Brinkman introduced their SS gasser grill about 4 years ago, the 1st model had 4 cast iron burners all independently operated. At the time my Sunbeam was still kicking along and I didnt really need a grill at the time. Now, my grill is shot and Brinkman switched to 3 burners from the 2nd year on.

Im holding out till I build my outdoor kitchen and I plan to drop a SS upper unit into the tiled counter.

The Weber One-Touch Platinum Kettle is IMO one of the best grills you can buy.

The only thing I'd change is a thermometer on the lid and maybe a Rotty as standard.

I don't touch all this namby pamby gas stuff!!!! :twisted:

I assume this is a gas grill and not a BBQ set-up? As we know it anyway.....so...

Multiple thermometers for zone temperature control.

A better grease collection/dispersion system. Gotta be something better than just dripping down. Just not sure I know what it is. Scott

High BTU's to sear and to get the grates (cast iron w/optional stainless) super hot. at least four burners like Brauma says. A smoker box for wood chips would be nice. Thick stainless steel outer counstruction (none of that cheap China stuff) No side burner. If i want to simmer stuff outside I'll build an outdoor kitchen. MADE IN THE USA!

If I could design one, I would look at high quality materials, good lighting, accurate temp control, cooking flexibility, and easy to clean and maintain.

Materials: I would use good quality stainless, with a finish that allows frequent cleaning without spoiling the look. Also, brass or stainless burners, and heavy stainless cooking grate.

Lighting: The biggest problem with most grills is that you stand between your light source and your work. It would be nice to have a grill with a built in quality light source that doesn't look like an after-thought.

Temp control/Cooking Flexibility: What the guys said above. Allow for precision temp control, with the added ability to burn charcoal, or at least a smoke box. The only way to achieve real BBQ is low and slow, so ideally the grill should be able to maintain 225 degrees. If it could also act as a warmer, even better!

Easy to clean/maintain: The things I use the most are usually the simplest. Nobody wants to spend big bucks on a piece of equipment that needs to be baby sat, or looks like @$$ after a year. This is probably my biggest complaint about the most of the stainless cookers on the market. Also, if an igniter goes out, it would be nice to have the ability to use a lighter, and be able to verify actual ignition. Much like the inspection ports the older Ducane grills used.

Let us know the details, as most of us would be interested in a nice new grill, even if it doesn't burn sticks. :)

1 Heat at the grates LOTS OF IT for proper searing of steaks

2 Built in smokebox

3 IR Rotisserie burner

4 Reliable ignitior or don't bother with one

Devise a way to get the high heat output with less fuel consumption than the competition. What do I care? - I cook on kettles. :roll:

Infra-red ceramics on one side of the grill.... runs at 1800 degrees!!. 30 seconds on each side of an inch thick porterhouse and your done..

A Jack & Coke dispenser on one end. A Beer Keg on the other end. And, maybe a small Marguarita despenser hanging down right in the middle.
Smoke On!!!!!!!

Lose the propane tank and include lump.

But, if you are buidling a gas model, include a separate smoke chamber, good heat control, and all the others listed.

40,000+ btu's in at least a 4 zone system and make it afordable. One of the many reasons I like charcoal is the heat that you can't get with 90% of the gas grills on the market. Those 90 percent are in the thousands and I can get a real nice! charcoal grill for 1/4 of that.

Back