MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #46
mallorjc
On the road to being a farker

This place has spell check?!?!?! All that drinking time wasted re=-reading my own typo'5s wasted. Dang!

Nonono - of course u keep some Henkle's to hack & whack - Before cooking!! After cooking, no knife should be needed, and, if so, ceramic like a surgeon!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #47
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorjc View Post
This place has spell check?!?!?! All that drinking time wasted re=-reading my own typo'5s wasted. Dang!

Nonono - of course u keep some Henkle's to hack & whack - Before cooking!! After cooking, no knife should be needed, and, if so, ceramic like a surgeon!
Actually it's the web browser. You need to visit WP once and awhile. I see you have the making of a Real Whackadoolerer.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #48
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

I'm kind of a knife junkie... I got into Japanese carbon steel kitchen knives about 10 years ago and I've never looked back. Here's my most recent acquisition...

And this is probably one of the BEST resources on the web for sourcing kitchen cutting-steel and sharpening equipment...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/

And this is how I sharpen mine...

I could talk for hours on end about kitchen knives....

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #49
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Love your over the sink rig for your water stones! Very ingenious and practical. I would love to learn how to properly hand sharpen on a water stone, but I have trouble maintaining a proper and consistent angle. I am impressed by people who have that ability.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #50
mallorjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
Love your over the sink rig for your water stones! Very ingenious and practical. I would love to learn how to properly hand sharpen on a water stone, but I have trouble maintaining a proper and consistent angle. I am impressed by people who have that ability.
That's the point at which I gave up. It seems impossible to keep the proper angle. Plus it's work I can spare myself by using a good (emphasis) electric sharpener and buying ceramics for the real work. My steels work fine and are nicely uniform under magnification, and the ceramics are every bit as sharp as a properly (KCMike! ) sharpened steel.
Next: I'm a fan of japanese (what's it called) folded layer forging steel, having seen it done in an old sword shop in Japan, and think that the real advantage was uniformity of the resultant steel blade. Do modern forging techniques achieve the same uniformity without all that work?

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #51
mallorjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Actually it's the web browser. You need to visit WP once and awhile. I see you have the making of a Real Whackadoolerer.
And, as for that,
1) I didn't mean spell-check, now that I think of it. More like a breathalyzer for my keyboard. Spell check wouldn't fix that problem, just make it harder when impaired.
2) Is Whackadoolerer one of the odd rankings we get for number of posts? If so, I'll never get there, cause I just dive bomb the topics I like, like this one. We need a mod doing quality of posts ratings, and this discussion belongs elsewhere (WP or DT [drunk tank]) , so apologies to the thread folks!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #52
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Been through loads of knives and I'm pretty well settled on my wild mix of whart feels good in the hand. Someday I'll find a full set of top quality I'm comfortable with and the money to afford it.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #53
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
And, as for that,
1) I didn't mean spell-check, now that I think of it. More like a breathalyzer for my keyboard. Spell check wouldn't fix that problem, just make it harder when impaired.
2) Is Whackadoolerer one of the odd rankings we get for number of posts? If so, I'll never get there, cause I just dive bomb the topics I like, like this one. We need a mod doing quality of posts ratings, and this discussion belongs elsewhere (WP or DT [drunk tank]) , so apologies to the thread folks!
Ahhh, Why didn't you say so? I can sure relate!
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #54
Happy Hapgood

kcmike, Thanks for that very informative post. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for that Konosuke 10" ?

Mighty fine rig there.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #55
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
Me too. I've had recommendations about diamond dust electric wheel sharpeners with 3 pre-angled grooves.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #56
Meat Meets Meat

I picked up the Shun Classic 8" Chef's knife at the Kershaw knife sale this weekend for $100. Retails for about $180. Damn it's awesome! I'll likely lose a finger soon though...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354758294.229296.jpg
XL BGE, Two L BGEs, 22.5 SS Performer Blue, 22.5 Weber Kettles (Grey, Green, Brown, Red, Two Tone Red) 22.5 WSM, Three 18.5 WSMs, Mini WSM, Rib-o-lator, Green Thermapen, Stoker with wifi
Meat Meets Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #57
Happy Hapgood

^^^ Very Nice!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #58
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
That's the point at which I gave up. It seems impossible to keep the proper angle. Plus it's work I can spare myself by using a good (emphasis) electric sharpener and buying ceramics for the real work. My steels work fine and are nicely uniform under magnification, and the ceramics are every bit as sharp as a properly (KCMike! ) sharpened steel.
Next: I'm a fan of japanese (what's it called) folded layer forging steel, having seen it done in an old sword shop in Japan, and think that the real advantage was uniformity of the resultant steel blade. Do modern forging techniques achieve the same uniformity without all that work?
It's really not that hard to learn. It's just muscle memory. Trust me, I ruined many an edge before becoming proficient. The nice thing about steel is that it can be reformed, so if you screw up, just go again.

By "Modern forging techniques", I'm assuming you're talking about Western techniques employed by German and American bladesmiths. The techniques used between Japanese and Western knife makers are somewhat similar (except for the hand-made Japanese blades). It's the steel used, the heat treat, and the blade geometry that truly separate them. Nearly all Western knives (except the old French carbon steel Sabatier knives) are made from much softer stainless steel. The difference in hardness is quite large. Most Western knives range around 54-56 Rc, whereas Japanese knives typically fall in the 60-64 Rc range. The other major difference is the type of steel used. Japanese knife makers use steels that can be made much harder and still hold an edge without chipping, while the Western makers use much softer, and less exotic stainless steels. The last major difference is the thickness of the blades. On average, Japanese knives are much thinner and lighter than their Western counter parts.

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle

Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #59
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
kcmike, Thanks for that very informative post. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for that Konosuke 10" ?

Mighty fine rig there.
I don't remember exactly, but it was somewhere north of three bills...

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle

Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #60
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Me too. I've had recommendations about diamond dust electric wheel sharpeners with 3 pre-angled grooves.
I may get flamed for this, but IMHO, all electric sharpeners are junk...

The perception of sharpness is relative. Many people have never actually experienced a truly sharp kitchen knife. But once you do, you'll immediately recognize the difference. Just ask Wayne from MoKan Meatheads. He won one of my gift baskets at last year's Kooker's Kare winter banquet. That basket contained a Japanese carbon steel gyuto (chef's knife) which I had hand sharpened. That knife had an edge honed down to less than a quarter of a micron (~60,000 grit)...

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle